Fordmods Logo

Drooping headlining 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Drooping headlining
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:01 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 78

Joined: 6th Apr 2008

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

The fabric on the headlining has come away from the backing, i tried spray adhesive without any luck.

Any other ideas??

 

_________________

He was like a god walking amongst mere mortals. He had a voice that could
make a wolverine purr, and suits so fine
they made Sinatra look like a hobo.
In other words, Ron Burgundy was the balls.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Drooping headlining
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 567

Joined: 2nd Jul 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

Pull it all out and glue it back on, if the fabric is too far gone, get some new stuff..

I did mine about 6 month ago in black, still looks great and is no way sagging. Cost me $50 all up, instead of $350 :roll: like it costs $100 more just for black!!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Drooping headlining
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 1

Joined: 15th Mar 2009

Ride: Ford BA Falcon 2002

Location: Darwin
NT, Australia

Hi where did you get the roof lining material from?

I did my header board for my old EA a few years ago by stripping the fabric off, wire brushing off the rotten foam and replacing with roof lining material and 2 cans of adhesive spray. It looked quite good.

Now my BA is suffering the same fate, I have no idea where Im going to get the correct material from as the trim is quite different and Id like to keep it the same.

Does ford stock this?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Drooping headlining
Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:29 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 48

Posts: 129

Joined: 28th Jun 2007

Ride: BF Egas Tonner

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Clark rubber have roof lining material its just a case of seeing what colours the store keeps in stock. I have found differnt stores keep different colours.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Drooping headlining
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 41

Posts: 34

Joined: 10th Jan 2011

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Ba xt,Xe 351,Fg mk2 xr6

Location: Doreen
VIC, Australia

My headlining has pealed off too,at the front and rear near the glass.i glued it back but it looks terrible.Looking at taking it to a good motor trimmers,how much is a fair price?And also does the whole headlining need to be replaced?
cheers
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Drooping headlining
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:51 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 205

Joined: 8th Dec 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

Location: Toowoomba
QLD, Australia

Don't put yourself through the aggravation - you will be able to get it done by an auto upholsterer for no more than $160-180 if you remove the hoodlining for them. Any more than this and you walk out the door...

Hooroo
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Drooping headlining
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:24 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 66

Posts: 2548

Joined: 18th Mar 2006

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

Location: wollongong
NSW, Australia

blah,blah-search=http://www.fordmods.com/ford-interior-f14/sagging-roof-lining-t87574.html?hilit=sagging head lining&start=15..............read

 

_________________

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Drooping headlining
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:43 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 205

Joined: 8th Dec 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

Location: Toowoomba
QLD, Australia

It is all well and good to do it yourself but if you are like most and don't have the time just get it done. Good to do it yourself if you have the confidence and prepared to pay double/triple when you botch the job but if you get it done by a reputable upholsterer, it is guaranteed and they repair it for free when it fails within the warranty period. I attempted the job myself once and did an ok job but it fell away again so paid someone to do it.

Not a Ford car, but try doing a mini hoodlining yourself...nine ribs and acres of fabric made for a pain in the a*** effort. 10 metres of fabric was used in doing the lining and it takes three to do it yourself - hence why I vowed never to do it again :lol:

Horses for courses - one day I will attempt it again :D
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Drooping headlining
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:46 am 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 41

Posts: 34

Joined: 10th Jan 2011

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Ba xt,Xe 351,Fg mk2 xr6

Location: Doreen
VIC, Australia

how long you reckon it would take for a professional motor trimmer to do brother?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Drooping headlining
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 66

Posts: 2548

Joined: 18th Mar 2006

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

Location: wollongong
NSW, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
It is all well and good to do it yourself but if you are like most and don't have the time just get it done. Good to do it yourself if you have the confidence and prepared to pay double/triple when you botch the job but if you get it done by a reputable upholsterer, it is guaranteed and they repair it for free when it fails within the warranty period. I attempted the job myself once and did an ok job but it fell away again so paid someone to do it.

Not a Ford car, but try doing a mini hoodlining yourself...nine ribs and acres of fabric made for a pain in the a*** effort. 10 metres of fabric was used in doing the lining and it takes three to do it yourself - hence why I vowed never to do it again :lol:

Horses for courses - one day I will attempt it again :D

no worse than a hq waggon,the old steel stay bars.there are some basics when doing these jobs,A TON OF PATIENCE,AND MORE PATIENCE,LIKE A BABY.your time if any is free.

 

_________________

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Drooping headlining
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 66

Posts: 2548

Joined: 18th Mar 2006

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

Location: wollongong
NSW, Australia

falcon3518 wrote:
how long you reckon it would take for a professional motor trimmer to do brother?

can be 1 day,if you need the car it can be removed and replaced later to suit you.

 

_________________

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Drooping headlining
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:13 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 205

Joined: 8th Dec 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

Location: Toowoomba
QLD, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
CPOCSM wrote:
It is all well and good to do it yourself but if you are like most and don't have the time just get it done. Good to do it yourself if you have the confidence and prepared to pay double/triple when you botch the job but if you get it done by a reputable upholsterer, it is guaranteed and they repair it for free when it fails within the warranty period. I attempted the job myself once and did an ok job but it fell away again so paid someone to do it.

Not a Ford car, but try doing a mini hoodlining yourself...nine ribs and acres of fabric made for a pain in the a*** effort. 10 metres of fabric was used in doing the lining and it takes three to do it yourself - hence why I vowed never to do it again :lol:

Horses for courses - one day I will attempt it again :D

no worse than a hq waggon,the old steel stay bars.there are some basics when doing these jobs,A TON OF PATIENCE,AND MORE PATIENCE,LIKE A BABY.your time if any is free.


I am hearing you - the HQ setup is a PITA and if you even look at the steel stays sideways, out they pop - similar to minis with the steel ribs. The clamping and the glue plus how bloody hot it getis in there with two people is enough to commit murder!

The headlining shouldnt take any longer than a day at most. Reinstalling is a piece of piss on your own though.

Hooroo
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Drooping headlining
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:11 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 250

Joined: 12th Jun 2005

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: BA XR6T, 93 EB XR8, ZJ 351

Location: Nelson Bay
NSW, Australia

Had mine done a few months ago at Cardiff Motor Trimming in Newcastle, somewhere around $200 cant remember exactly. I watched them do it in under an hour!

 

_________________

93 EB S-XR8 5 SPEED,
EBGT RIMS, AU MAF, AU T/B, BOXED POD, CAI,
ELGT EXTRACTORS & SPRINT EXHAUST

BAXR6T Lowered, Kompact BOV thats all....so far
ZJ 351 Fairlane, a work in "slow" progress

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Drooping headlining
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 4146

Joined: 7th Dec 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Pull out and give to trimmer to fix up. I had a really nice plush velour thing done on it, came up real nice for 100 odd bucks.

 

_________________

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:37 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names