E series Trip computer 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: E series Trip computer
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 1995 Ford XG Ute

VIC, Australia

hi all was interested if anyone had connected the trip computer up to a vapour injection system and weather it is possible to make it work using a relay and the fuel guage in the dash for the lpg ?

95' XG
93' EB
custom buggy with 900cc yamaha engine

Post subject: Re: E series Trip computer
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

It wont be 100% accurate, but it works as is. And if you have the right sender in your LPG Tank, and switch that through to your dash fuel gauge DTE gets close as well.

I had it working in my EB with LPGi for 6 years. The Fuel consumption amount isnt accurate, but it is relative.

Nigel

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

which way is it out? it detect thats its using more petrol (in this case lpg) so thinks it will run out faster?
and the wiring is the same except you splice the injector pulse from the lpg ecu correct?

95' XG
93' EB

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I find my L/100 instant & the L/100 average economy is fairly close to what i get when I'm on LPG (injection system), compared to what i get when running petrol. Distance to empty isn't due to not having the petrol gauge working off my LPG tank, but it's a mod I've been thinking about wiring up to a small switch or even a relay as suggested.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

i believe you may need a resistor as the lpg guage and fuel guage use different currents? iv read a lot of trouble people have is their fuel guages only go to 3/4 when the tank is full cause the gas fitters went for the cheap option for making it use the stock fuel guage.
cheers

95' XG
93' EB

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ford383f wrote:
i believe you may need a resistor as the lpg guage and fuel guage use different currents? iv read a lot of trouble people have is their fuel guages only go to 3/4 when the tank is full cause the gas fitters went for the cheap option for making it use the stock fuel guage.
cheers

I did think about that. I need to work out the resistance of the factory sender & then compare it to the LPG sender, but your probably right that it will need a resistor. I've got more than a few lying around, so it shouldn't be a problem for me.

I just need to get the car back from the panel beaters sometime soon! I'm itching to be playing with it again. Got stuff to sort before i can think about going on the boosted falcon cruise.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:17 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

haha its always something either you havent got the car to play with or when you have the car you havent got the money to touch it

95' XG
93' EB

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:55 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

As mentioned earlier in the thread, you just need the correct LPG tank sender. 0-90ohms is for the LED gauge (hence why a dash gauge hooked up only reads 3/4 when full), 2-176ohms is for the dash guage. EBII onwards use a petrol sender of 0-176ohms, so as mentioned, just use a relay to switch sender lines to the dash gauge.
You might find your LPG injection just uses and modifies the petrol injector signal, so your trip computer only needs to be setup like as in a petrol only system.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Mine does modify the petrol injector pulses to suit LPG, that's why the trip computer is fairly accurate except for distance to empty, which i hazzard a guess in saying it would be close to accurate if i get the dash gauge reading the LPG tank level.

I think my current sender is 0-90ohms, so i guess i need a resistor to add in say 90ohms and it would make the petrol gauge display the "close enough to correct" LPG tank level?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:35 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You're probably better off going to a pick N pull wrecker which has ex taxi's, and try and grab a 2-176ohm sender from a tank - it's only held on by 2 phillip head screws. To buy new is fairly expensive.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
You're probably better off going to a pick N pull wrecker which has ex taxi's, and try and grab a 2-176ohm sender from a tank - it's only held on by 2 phillip head screws. To buy new is fairly expensive.

I need to keep my current gauge running correctly & I don't know if i can reset the ECU to display the fuel level with such a wide range. If the current level doesn't run correctly the car might switch back to petrol when it shouldn't....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I think I kind of understand what you're saying - I didn't hook up the fuel level sensing on my LPGi system, as it was only for the auto switching, which I didn't really need.

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

dose the trip comp use the fuel warning light as the reference for being empty then adds fords est. 8kms remaining to the dte? would the trip comps from fairlanes (80lt tanks)
and ones from e series ghias (68lt tank) be the reason for the dte being out ? when people add them? would soucing a trip comp from a sedan make any difference?

im guessing the fuel warning light comes from the guage on the dash? meaning the lpg using the dash guage would also trigger the fuel light correct?

95' XG
93' EB

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
I think I kind of understand what you're saying - I didn't hook up the fuel level sensing on my LPGi system, as it was only for the auto switching, which I didn't really need.

The readout on the gauge is actually controlled by setting up resistance points in the ECU, IE, resistance of 45 ohms might mean 1/2 a tank, 90 equals a full tank. When it senses the LPG level too low, ie reserve, it will auto switch back to petrol. If it thinks it's getting to reserve too early, it will switch back when there is more than enough lpg in the tank for a while yet, which is a costly issue!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:01 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yep, got it.
Mine has that type of system, except you input voltages.
You should be able to adjust that though with a laptop and the tuning software after you fit the correct LPG sender???

I suppose before you fit the sensor, you can use a magnet to get it read the various levels, and measure the resistance for each.
I can give you the petrol equivalents from the shop manual.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next