Fordmods Logo

EA S1 digital dash into EB S2 Ghia 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EA S1 digital dash into EB S2 Ghia
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EBII Fairmont Ghia i6

SA, Australia

hey guys, i picked up a digital dash thinking it was a straight swap but i dont have enough plugs for the dash to work. is there a conversion availiable to help this happen at all? My car is an EB Fairmont Ghia.

cheers

Post subject: Re: EA S1 digital dash into EB S2 Ghia
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

There is a doco on fitting the digital dash into a non digiatal dash equiped car, HERE.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:34 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NA Fairlane / FE LTD

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
There is a doco on fitting the digital dash into a non digiatal dash equiped car, HERE.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Car is a ghia so I would say the problem is smart lock. S1 did not have smart lock but s2 must have it. Smart lock cluster has jewel on the cluster.

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Smartlock will be one problem. The other is does the Ghia have all the connectors to just plug the cluster in? I wasn't really going to get into crapping on about it until the OP has read the tech doco on the subject....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

my EB1 had a EB2 Smartlock cluster in it for 6 months. no problems. removed it due to not wanting the white faced dials anymore.

about 18months ago i bought a Digi cluster and after seeing it wouldn't plug straight in and the wiring i had to do i sold the digi cluster

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:28 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

That'll be my next thing, I'll fit the NF cluster...

You have to fit all the door sensors and run the wires up into the dash for them, as well as the fuel flap sensor... Boot sensor... and yeah make up patch harness to go from your existing plugs to the required one for the digi dash...

In the tech docs there should be info on the pin outs and that...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:45 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
my EB1 had a EB2 Smartlock cluster in it for 6 months. no problems. removed it due to not wanting the white faced dials anymore.

about 18months ago i bought a Digi cluster and after seeing it wouldn't plug straight in and the wiring i had to do i sold the digi cluster

As far as I am aware they are backward compatable but not foreward, but I will stand corrected.

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hey Guys.

The only difference between a smartlock instrument cluster and a non smartlock one, is the addition of the jewel. Either cluster will work with either car, it just won't have the smartlock jewel lighting up.

The early Digital Ghia dash is very very different to all the other clusters. The plugs are not wired up the same, and as indicated above, you will need to add all the door ajar sensors to the door locks, and run all the necessary wires to make it functional. This will require either extensively modifying your dash loom, or building plug in adaptor looms.

Good Luck.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

nalane wrote:
WILDEB wrote:

As far as I am aware they are backward compatable but not foreward, but I will stand corrected.

nalane you've missed the point

Smartlock has nothing to do with whether the dash works or not...

All smartlock does with the dash is have the blinking LED... whether its connected or not smartlock works...

The reason the dash doesn't work in his vehicle is completely independent of smartlock... Its because the digital dash has either more plugs (maybe 3 instead of 2) or more pins to accommodate for the door ajar circuit...

as wildeb said the reason he sold his is not because it wouldn't work but because it wont plug straight in... you have the either make patch harnesses for it or change all the plugs...

I ran an earlly (pre-smartlock) dash in my car and left the blinking LED disconnected... worked fine... as stated above, the only reference to smartlock is an LED and capacitor in the bottom... Sheerly for the sake of deterring thieves...

Cheers...

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
nalane wrote:
WILDEB wrote:

nalane you've missed the point

Smartlock has nothing to do with whether the dash works or not...

All smartlock does with the dash is have the blinking LED... whether its connected or not smartlock works...

The reason the dash doesn't work in his vehicle is completely independent of smartlock... Its because the digital dash has either more plugs (maybe 3 instead of 2) or more pins to accommodate for the door ajar circuit...

as wildeb said the reason he sold his is not because it wouldn't work but because it wont plug straight in... you have the either make patch harnesses for it or change all the plugs...

I ran an earlly (pre-smartlock) dash in my car and left the blinking LED disconnected... worked fine... as stated above, the only reference to smartlock is an LED and capacitor in the bottom... Sheerly for the sake of deterring thieves...

Cheers...

I didn't miss the point, thats why I stood to be corrected. So what have we established.
smart lock dash has nothing to do with immobilising.
S1 and S2 digital dashes are different.
S1 dash does not have door sensors.???
Fairmont ghia and fairlane use the same spec cluster.
My fairlane is a S1 and it has door warning, but it is a 4speed auto so it may be considered a S2 in fairmont terms. Are we sure the OP has a ghia and not just a fairmont???
S2 ghia will already have door sensors. Either the tech doc needs to be followed or the right cluster needs to be obtained.

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EB1 Fairmont Ghia has the digital dash and door sensors from factory.

EB11 Fairmont Ghia onwards does not.

NA-NC Fairlane all have the digi dash and door sensors, and NF and NL also have the door ajar funtion but none of the EF-EL Fairmonts do.

Oh, and prior to the EF/EL/NF/NL cars the clusters are specific to engine type, ie. V8 and I6

Hope that helps.

BenJ

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

As far as I'm aware all digital dashes have the door ajar circuit...

The difference between S1 and S2 must be the wiring plugs judging by what Ben indicated above...

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:47 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Maybe they got smart in EB S2 and deleted the door sensors. I am sick of driving along watching my dash do the chicken dance.
By the way what happened to the OP.

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The only reason you have the doors flapping at you would be if the door ajar sensors have failed, and or the signal is not reaching the cluster.

BenJ

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

BenJ wrote:
The only reason you have the doors flapping at you would be if the door ajar sensors have failed, and or the signal is not reaching the cluster.

BenJ

I know that but I cant be fagged looking at the moment, has only just started doing it so its on the list. It is a ford so the list is long.
What would we do with our weekends if we didn't drive a ford?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next