Fordmods Logo

EB Fairmont a/c problems 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: EB Fairmont a/c problems
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:24 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

checked black and green vac lines as well they were ok. The auto elec is going to get the control unit tested in the morning. hopefully the dash wont need to come out but if it does what can i do. I need it to work and a second hand unit might be bunged up as well.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

From what I have been told..Sitting behind the dash in the centre is the blend door.. The blend door arm or rod is made of plastic and is known to break over time..

If this happens a control module diagnostic test "will not" indicate a broken rod/arm because if the
blend motor itself works then there is no reason so show a fault..The arm operates the door to control the mixture of hot and cold air..Hence the name blend...I am in the same position and I am not wanting to pull the dash out but I hope this isn't the case for you...

:(

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Have you tried the "monitor mode" ?

To see the blend door temps?

To enter Monitor Mode (EA/EB/ED Fairlane/LTD models)

Turn the Ignition switch to the "On" Position

Press the Recirculate, Face/Floor, and AUTO Buttons together

Release the Recirculate, Face/Floor, Buttons together and the AUTO Button Last.

This will now bring you in to the Climate control monitor mode.
Pressing the Fan Up and Down Buttons will toggle the reading that is currently being viewed
The Reading Number that is currently being displayed is shown by the Fan Speed on the LCD Panel.

The Test Readouts available are,

L - (1 Bar) - Operator Set Temperature in degrees Celsius (°C)

2 - (2 Bars) - Cabin Temperature in degrees Celsius (°C)

3 - (3 Bars) - Ambient Temperature in degrees Celsius (°C)

4 - (4 Bars) - Evaporator Temperature in degrees Celsius (°C)

5 - (5 Bars) - Engine Coolant Temperature in degrees Celsius (°C)

6 - (6 Bars) - Sun load Sensor Reading

7 - (7 Bars) - Fan Speed percent (%)

8 - (8 Bars) - Temperature Blend Door Flap percentage (%) opening

9 - (9 Bars) - Aircon and Vent Selection (00 A/C Off Floor) (11 A/C On Face) (22 A/C Off Face/Floor) (33 A/C On Screen/Floor) (4 Screen)

H - (10 Bars) - Water Heater Valve operation (1=On, 0=Off)

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:39 pm 

NSW, Australia

I hope its not the blend motor i hope the dash dosent have to come out too its been out 2 or 3 times since ive had the car and has been working excellent until recent. i feel the blend motor is working because it does blow cold air and hot air but there is no in between.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:09 pm 

NSW, Australia

No i havnt tried monitor mode. if i do this what should i be looking out for?

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

At a guess(my car isn't going at the moment) put your A/C onto 16deg halfway temp and 32deg (highest?)
and see what % the blend door reads..

- (8 Bars) - Temperature Blend Door Flap percentage (%) opening

Perhaps that way you can when your panel reads 16/24(middle?)and 32 degrees
you can see if the monitor says 0% ,50% and 100%

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:01 pm 

NSW, Australia

Thanks for your help aristopower i have only just got home and ive been driving my xr for the day and have not had a chance to use monitor mode as it is getting late i have taken the control unit out of the car ready for the auto elec to test in the morning. Ill let you know what eventuates and i expect the unit to be back mid week. Hope its nothing to serious.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:19 pm 

NSW, Australia

actually i appreciate the help everyone has given. Thankyou.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I hope it is a easy solution and perhaps it can help with mine! Goodluck :D

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: falcon

NSW, Australia

hi, i had the exact same problem with my climate control. it turned out to be the plug at the back of the control unit where the plug pins meet the bored inside the unit. it was a dry solder joint, resoldered it hey presto problem fixed.
much cheaper than a new unit.

eb series one falcon gl: factory 5 speed manual, ed fairmont dash, climate control, trip computer, mpefi conversion, cruise control, ef head, fairmont trim, smartlock, window tint.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:53 am 

NSW, Australia

So far since this original post i regassed the air con, changed the heater tap and got an auto elec to change the control unit in the dash and still the same. That alone costed me over $200 and got me no where :evil:
At the moment im suspecting it be either the blend motor or the ECU. I have not done anything else since the above mentioned due to the high cost of labour and not knowing 100% what we are needing to fix. However i asked another auto electrician the other day about pulling the dash and he quoted $250 for the labour which is a lot better than the original quoted $700 so i am planning to get things happening soon.
eb falcon gl wrote:
hi, i had the exact same problem with my climate control. it turned out to be the plug at the back of the control unit where the plug pins meet the bored inside the unit. it was a dry solder joint, resoldered it hey presto problem fixed.
much cheaper than a new unit.

Its worth a try to check out the plug on the control unit as you said. Thanks EB falcon ill have a look at it if i get time on the weekend.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:30 pm 

NSW, Australia

aristopwr wrote:
From what I have been told..Sitting behind the dash in the centre is the blend door.. The blend door arm or rod is made of plastic and is known to break over time..

If this happens a control module diagnostic test "will not" indicate a broken rod/arm because if the
blend motor itself works then there is no reason so show a fault..The arm operates the door to control the mixture of hot and cold air..Hence the name blend...I am in the same position and I am not wanting to pull the dash out but I hope this isn't the case for you...

Aristopwr you have the right answer. You know your s**t. 8-) 8-)
This is the problem confirmed with my car. The rod on the blend door has broken as suggested and while we are at it i got the auto elec to replace the blend door motor also! Anyway all fixed $240 ish for the blend motor and nearly $300 labour. Pick the car up this arvo. Expensive but at least my car works properly now so i dont care :D

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:28 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED GHIA V8

NSW, Australia

93EB wrote:
aristopwr wrote:

Aristopwr you have the right answer. You know your s**t. 8-) 8-)
This is the problem confirmed with my car. The rod on the blend door has broken as suggested and while we are at it i got the auto elec to replace the blend door motor also! Anyway all fixed $240 ish for the blend motor and nearly $300 labour. Pick the car up this arvo. Expensive but at least my car works properly now so i dont care :D

How is the car now? All good.

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:43 am 

NSW, Australia

Well when i got the car back the air con began acting erratic in auto mode and when doing a reset the bloody E3 came up again!! I have replaced this cabin sensor 3 times. Whilst at work yesterday i had a think about what it could be cause not even the auto elec could give me a straight answer. I decided to take the control unit out of the car and resolder the pins for dry joints on the back of the board where the connections go as EB falcon suggested in this post and so far so good. After 30 resets no more E3 error and things seem to be working beautifully again. :D

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2