Fordmods Logo

EB V8 Air Conditioner- Error Code E5 ..How do I fix it? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EB V8 Air Conditioner- Error Code E5 ..How do I fix it?
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB V8 Fairmont Sedan

NSW, Australia

I've just had the Airconditioner re-gassed, and it worked great for about a week. Now I've got no cooling at all. When I reset the airconditioner, I get an error code of E5. My workshop manual tells me that it is an open circuit in either the clock or the earth circuits. That didn't help me much, because I've searched everywhere I can, but can't find a short. I'm convinced that I need more help on this. Because I can't afford that alternative, can anyone offer me any advice on how to fix this problem, preferably without the expense of the trade?

Post subject: Re: EB V8 Air Conditioner- Error Code E5 ..How do I fix it?
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Have you read the Climate control diagnostics doco on here ??
If you read what an E5 error is, I'd be checking around the receiver/drier.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Have you read the Climate control diagnostics doco on here ??
If you read what an E5 error is, I'd be checking around the receiver/drier.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks, but there are no problems around the receiver/drier area. The manual shows that the fault could be : "Electronic lock power source circuit is open", and "Electronic clock earth circuit is open". To tell the truth, I haven't got a bloody clue what that means. I presumed a "short", so I checked all the wiring in every door, Pulled out and checked the clock and the climate control panel. The only thing I can see that appears to be out of place is a thin black tube in the engine bay. It rests near the firewall, left - hand side, very close to the firewall. I can't find where it goes once it enters the cabin, and I can't find a corresponding loose connection in the engine bay. I've checked all the sensors and didn't find an obvious fault. I've reset the climate control countless times. Now I don't know what to do next, and I'm worried that if I give it to an auto electrician, or an air-conditioner technician , or Ford, it will cost me a fortune that I can't afford while they hunt around for the answer. Anybody got any more clues for me, please?

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1997 EL Fairmont,2008 FG G6E

VIC, Australia

What workshop manual do you have ? If it's that crap max ellery's one that book is wrong. There error codes are for smartlock NOT the climate control. Snap0964 is right check around the receiver/direr area. Error code E5 is a disconnected ambient sensor. Depending on what EB series you have it will be in a different place. EB 1 under the radiator support on the left or EB 2 connected to the receiver/drier.

Hope this helps
Rick

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

^^^^^Good to see someone's on the ball.
If the receiver/drier has been replaced (like it should) when the system has been regassed, then it's likely the amb air sensor was left disconnected.
Can't remember if like the EF/EL, the system assumes 22 deg C amb temp.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES...i HAVE A GREGORY'S AND A HAINES MANUAL, AND THAT IS WHY I THOUGHT THE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE SMARTLOCK. I CLEANED AND WD40'D THE CONNECTIONS ON THE AMBIENT TEMPERATURE SENSOR, AND REPLACED THE HEATER RELAY. I THINK ONE OF THESE WORKED, BUT I WON'T REALLY KNOW FOR 6 MONTHS WHEN THE WEATHER GETS ABOVE 22 AGAIN. IN THE MEANTIME, THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Since you have played around with it now have you reset your climate control ? And why did you replace the fan speed resistor ?

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yes, I reset it, and still got an E5 error, but when I turned on the airconditioner at 16 degrees, I felt cold air, which is better than the hot air we got in summer. I didn't replace the fan speed resistor, but I did replace the heater relay in the engine bay, because we had some trouble with the lights relay when my son was alive. I found that I had a faulty relay there, so I thought that by replacing the starter relay, I might solve the problem.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Fair enough mate. Hope you can solve ya problem. Just of topic i had a similar problem with me old NC Fairlane. I got a E3 error code which was a disconnected cabin sniffer sensor. So i brought a new one same thing kept getting the error code. I went and got a ED climate control unit and fan speed resistor problem solved.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]