Fordmods Logo

EB2 Auto Climate Control 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: EB2 Auto Climate Control
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Hi all. I have an EB2 Fairmont with Auto Climate Control. The heater has stopped working properly. I have changed the thermostat, heater valve and flushed the system. I have read all the posts relating to this topic. Some suggest doing the fault diagnosis, I've done this and it comes up clear. no codes displaying. I've also tried the system diagnosis of holding in the recirculate, floor/face and auto buttons, releasing auto button last. I can't get this go through its test. Any thoughts on the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Rick

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Your heater tap and heater core would be my first ports of call.

Check that tap is opening and make sure the core is not blocked.

If it was your BDM it would be showing up as a fault code on the diagnostics test.

I assume that your car is actually getting up to operating temperature or somewhere near it!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:04 am 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

philaddis wrote:
Your heater tap and heater core would be my first ports of call.

Check that tap is opening and make sure the core is not blocked.

If it was your BDM it would be showing up as a fault code on the diagnostics test.

I assume that your car is actually getting up to operating temperature or somewhere near it!
Hi Phil, Thanks for reply. Yes I've replaced heater tap, engine is coming up to correct temp. I can't get the Climate Control Monitor Mode to display. Will flush core and radiator again.
Cheers Rick

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Heater core and Radiator flushed. No change.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

When running the diagnostics, is the engine at normal operating temperature, or are you doing it when its cold?

Secondly, have you actually witnessed the heater tap opening. Ive heard of cars where for some reason the climate unit causes the heater tap to stay constantly closed, cutting off water, so no heat.

Thirdly, when you do flush the heater core, I assume the the flow of water out the other end is nice and strong, not dribbling out.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Hi mate, Engine at normal operating temp. Can see heater tap (new) opening and closing when changing temp up and down. When heater core flushed, in both reverse and inward direction water flow very good indicating no blockage. Now suspect maybe Blend Door actuator broken. Can hear BDM operating in test mode, but can't tell if door is actually opening.
Thanks Rick

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It could be the arm thats broken, but I doubt it.

As part of the diagnostics, it measures the point of max hot air and point of cold air, then remembers the blend door min and max values. It should still show the famous E2 error even if the arm is broken, because the temp sensor is seeing no heat come through the box.

I had a similar problem to you, but the arm definately broke. I could still hear the motor operating, heating was erratic, but I still got an E2 error.

I suppose there are exceptions in each case though. :?

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I think the best way to confirm you're getting hot water through the heater core is to feel both hoses at the firewall in the engine bay.

You should be able to hear a slight thud of the blend door as it moves to full travel during the BDM test - most likely you'll only hear it on one extremity not at the end of the other range of travel (if that makes sense).

Best way to hear this is to do the test with IGN on and engine stopped, and have it in a quiet area, maybe a garage or whatever.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Hi again guys. Checked hoses at firewall both hot and can feel pressure within. Got a short length of rubber hose to listen for blend door operation. can hear the BDM operating but can't say for sure that door is opening/closing.
Thanks again Rick

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Well its been a year and we are back into winter. I am still struggling to find the cause of the heater not working.
So far:
Replaced radiator (car was overheating in summer, fixed problem)
Replaced heater tap and ensured it was working.
Flushed heater core and confirmed both hoses are hot and flowing.

Heater now blows air at 36 degrees from face vents in manual mode with A/C off, but immediatley reverts to cold air when any setting other than face vents (including demist).

Warmer air will come out of the face vent, but upon changing to other settings, it will blow warm air for about 1 - 2 seconds then goes right back to cold air.

This has me stumped and any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Rick

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

mine does the same sometimes i just reset it have to press the off and floor vent buttons ant the same time and it runs a check the resets , fixes mine everytime.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]