ED cluster 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: ED cluster
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

VIC, Australia

hi all
i have been searching for days and days and cant find any step by step guid to taking out the cluster, i wanna put red globe covers on the lights to change the gauge lights but i dont wanna f**k anything up.

any help would be greatfull
thanx

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Tried the docos?

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=45

to get the cluster shroud out, IIRC there's 2-3 screws at the top of the cluster shroud, and a couple underneat (you gotta pull the switch panel/blanking plates out to get to the lower screws)

Banned

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

VIC, Australia

that doesnt tell me how to take the orginal one out. just tells me what type of clusters there are, what the color coded wires are, and adding different clusters, all i want to do is make the lights red

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

hey i pulled my dash off last sat to buy red gobles for the cluster. its pretty easy. first pull off the ash try thingyo and on the left side there is 1 screw. undo that which then you will be able to pull out the surrounding bit for the radio. there are 3 screws just above the cluster.
now im not sure about these cause i cant remember..
think there is one screw under the open door button..
mite be 1 or 2 screws somewhere else but just look.
the next part is to pull off all whole dash. use some force but dont brake anything.
JUST WATCH OUT FOR THE BUTTONS SO YOU WONT SNAP THE WIRES THEM OFF when pulling the dash out.once the dash is out, unhook all the pluges that lead to the buttons. remove dash. there are 4 screws that whole the cluster in place. 1 in each coner. remove this screws and pluu cluster out and unplug the 2 plugs underneath the cluster.. all done.
to remove the bulbs just use your hands and twist them.. to put everything back in just revers everthing wat i said.. hopefully this will help you. ill try to post my cluster soon with red globes in them.. they cost $2 each.. is that normal price? getting them tomorrow hopefully. cheers and good luck

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

sorry forgot to mention that my car is an el but should be the same... hopefully

"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

Only problem is that the ED gauges themselves are coloured and not the globes. By changing the globe colour it will give a very weird colour when filtered through the orange of the standard gauge. Much better off bying some white faced dials off ebay, look heaps better and Im pretty sure you can run any colour globe you want to then. :wink:

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

i got an el and the cluster is black with sorta white lines and the needles are orange.. will red globes work?

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:02 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EA II Fairmont Ghia S

SA, Australia

He Is going to put red globe covers on the globes so it will just darken the color of the dash display at night to more of a red colour.

On the EA to ED falcons there is 7 screws to undo.

First you have to undo the screww that holds the boot / fuel cap release switch block in. This is just the one screw underneath and that will just habg there.

Then you have to remove the blanking plate which is identical to the boot / fuel cap release on the other side of the column.

Then if you look up inside these new holes there is two screws on (one on each side) that you need to remove.

Then once you remove these, there are 3 screws up the top on the black gauge cluster surrond that you need to remove. Then the black surround should come off.

Then you undo the 5 screws to take out the gauge cluster.

After taking out these 5 screws you just gently pull the cluster out and you will need to remove the two connectors of the back before you pull the cluster out. The connectors slide out towards the right with a button that you need to push down towards the cluster as you slide them out.

This might be a bit difficult as you cant see what you are doing.

Then ease the cluster out from behind your steering wheel between the dash and you can take the globes out.

Then just put it back in the same way you took it out.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:55 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EBII Spack

VIC, Australia

Just quickly, i have changed all my interior lights to red, use LED red globes, you can pick em up from autobarn, bursons etc, they are xpensive but worth it, globe covers give off a pinky color, i only used globe covers on the map lights passenger door lights and i used like an led type light for the center roof light. oh and the el dashes are a peice of piss to take off, just fiddle around until u get it off, it will take u like 45 mins the first time and 10 every other time. ;)

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:58 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

i bought red globes today from autobarn for my cluster. these were $2 each. dont know if this well help. :\

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]