ed heater not hot enough 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: ed heater not hot enough
Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 93 ed fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

the heater in my ed fairmont ghia is not warm enough for these cold morning now were getting a bit chilly. was wondering what could be causing it? heater tap?
It has the digital climate control so i was just wonder what controls the modulation of heat.
cheers.

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Post subject: Re: ed heater not hot enough
Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

The first thing I'd be checking is the operation of the thermostat. If it's opening too soon, it may not be allowing the engine to reach full operating temperature. You can test the thermostat by removing it, and putting it in a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer and seeing if it opens at the correct temperature.

Also check that the heater tap is operating correctly when the heater is turned on. When the heater is turned on, vacuum should be applied to the heater tap and you should see it suck in. If it doesnt, pull the vacuum line off and make sure you have vacuum there, if you do, then the problem will be the heater tap, if you dont have vacuumn there when you turn the heater on, then it will be a fault behind the dash somewhere, maybe with the climate control module or similar.

You could also have a partially blocked heater core, I'd suggest checking out these 2 vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raVBmWG_WSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcL_0TWeZJY

I think those vids are both good for unclogging a heater core and I follow those procedures.

Gab

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I disagree with Gab,

removing the vacuum from the heater tap brings it on... I have the vacuum line disconnected from my heater tap so that it flows all the time... The tap defaults to on and vacuum holds it closed.

You obviously have the climate control set to hot?

And the thermostat can be identified as in good working order by generally looking at your engine temperature... Does you temp needle run in the low to mid normal? This should be around the 90 degree mark... If it runs cold all the time then the thermostat is likely to be stuck open...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
I disagree with Gab,

removing the vacuum from the heater tap brings it on... I have the vacuum line disconnected from my heater tap so that it flows all the time... The tap defaults to on and vacuum holds it closed.

There's something not right there, as on all my Falcons that I've ever had (I've had several) and on my Dad's NC Fairlane, and even on my mate's Commodore the heater tap only flows when it has vacuumn applied to it, and the workshop manual also stiplulates that the heater tap only flows when it has vacuumn.

Gab

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:21 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Well my workshop manual doesn't say that... Which one have you got?

Genuine ford page attached:
Attachment:
EA EB ED Factory Manual Voumel 2.pdf [45.61 KiB]
Downloaded 517 times

Two thirds down in the left column, under "heater water valve vacuum switch"

Quote:
A water valve vacuum switch is used to send vacuum to the water valve vacuum motor to close the water valve.

This agrees with me disconnecting the heater tap to gain continuous flow through the core, and now there is no heater tap at all in my system.

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

I would agree with TimmyA. When the HVAC vacuum line popped off my induction manifold, the system defaulted to heater on full, on demist.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:10 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yep, timmys right..
look at your heater tap when the engine is off, then with your heater on cold start the car and the tap will shut.. meaning default position is always open..

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:50 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 93 ed fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

Yeah i have no problem with my thermostat it's brand new. I had the same problem with heating before I changed the thermostat so I think I will check that the heater tap is working. I remember when I got the ac gassed he said the tap was leaking through but on 16 degrees no ac it was not noticeable. So I'm just thinking the tap may be bugered.cheers everyone

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

there is 1 more to look at,tree leaves go thru the slots and build up in the plenum chamber.then get sucked in to the air in take by the fans,then they cover the front of the core stopping air flow and a possible fire as the resistor block is mounted in that space.every car i buy its my first job,remove the covers and vac the crap out,glue fly screen mesh under the covers,fish oil it,and the remove the resistor block and vac the leaves out the best you can.i find it reduces the crap coming out the vents.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Is it possible to remove the leaves without removing the dash ? On cold mornings my heater isn't that hot , during the day its normal

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Is it possible to remove the leaves without removing the dash ? On cold mornings my heater isn't that hot , during the day its normal

i can reach the ef,glove box out and the squirming around under the dash,usual stuff,can be done.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Cheers , think I need a new thermostat , temp needle never goes into normal .

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
there is 1 more to look at,tree leaves go thru the slots and build up in the plenum chamber.then get sucked in to the air in take by the fans,then they cover the front of the core stopping air flow and a possible fire as the resistor block is mounted in that space.every car i buy its my first job,remove the covers and vac the crap out,glue fly screen mesh under the covers,fish oil it,and the remove the resistor block and vac the leaves out the best you can.i find it reduces the crap coming out the vents.

My car almost caught fire because of this once. Could have been bad as I have no extinguisher and there is no quick access to where it was smouldering, oh I had no insurance at that point either!

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]