Post subject: EF BCM/BEM Changing
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

G'day all,

I'd like to put in intermittent wipers in my 96EF2 Gli and also have that 'fading' effect of the lights,
So I've picked up a Mid series BCM (blue) and installed it... all works sweet.
However the smartlock keeps the bugger imobilized.
1) the book says leave the ignition on for 30mins and drive the key to start and this will get it started.
2) I haven't done this coz of the fact i don't want to risk a 30min wait to start her each day.. so.. will this reset all feilds and make it start normally after this inital 30min reset?

I understand the bcm+ignition key and the computer have 3 codes to find b4 starting so I take it if I change this one Item..... its obviously p*ssed off with me :P

Please reply if anyone here knows?

Cheers
Andrew

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:12 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

ok... smartlock works as follows
when u turn key on, BEM checks to see that correct ignition barrel (Electronic lock assembly) is fitted to vehicle, and that it is also in the on position. It does this by requesting 3 codes to be sent back to it from the Electronic lock assembly back to the BEM.
If these codes dont match the ones the BEM is expecting the car is immobolised.

To teach the BEM to accept the codes from the ELA in your car, leave the key in the ON position for 30-40 min. The book says 30 but ive seen it take as long as 45. At this time the smarlock light will illuminate solidly instead of the rapid flashing it will do for the waiting period.
After the 30 min period start the car without turning the ignition of off first, and the BEM should now accept the barrel every time

hope this helps you.
if i can help u further feel free to pm me or add me to msn or icq. im on fairly often

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

yeah I've done the same with my ef, you only have to make it wait 30 odd minutes once! Just make sure the BEM you put in is also an EF, an EL one will not work!! :)

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Post subject: Re: EF BCM/BEM Changing
Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:51 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

heyyy im needing to change the bcm in my ef fairmont.. its the green one.. i was wondering does it matter what bcm i use aslong as it comes out of an ef fairmont thats also green..?

like wats the go with the numbers? do they have to match and where are the numbers located that you have to match if you do so..? cheers

if you can help can yu please email me at thisischeesy@hotmail.com

thankyou

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]