Ef climate control issues 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Ef climate control issues
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I have a few issues with my climate control in my Ef Fairmont i6 series 1.

Firstly the main control unit I have has an issue with the buttons not responding. I have a series 2 unit here with working buttons, if I mix the buttons/display of the series 2 with the outlet card of the series 1 will it work like a series 1 or series 2?

Secondly I am still having troubles with vacuum noise coming out of the front of the display. I read in my gregorys manual about a vacuum tank and some kind of a check valve that it says is under the front l/h guard? Is that right or is it to the left of the heater box inside the cabin? I have checked the hoses that come from the back of the display/control unit to the heater box and they are all connected.

Lastly I have done a diagnosis on the unit and its not come up with any errors, but I am still getting next to no air out of the vents, hot or cold. Its sounds like its trying to push air out but is trapped somewhere inside the heater box. Could this all be related to the vacuum control solenoid?

Now the stupid one, where is the blend door motor and whats does it look like? This is the second Ford with climate control I have owned and the first had a rebuilt heater box in it when I purchased the car..... so I actually have never had to worry about it till now. The gregorys is no help and the nets got crap loads of info about it but doesnt actually tell me where it is or what it looks like.
Cheers
Raven

Post subject: Re: Ef climate control issues
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon EL

WA, Australia

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Looking at it and seeing all the funny coloured hoses are in there won't cut it mate. You'll need to make sure all connections are sealed inside the car first and then, if that didn't help, go look in the engine compartment.

I used super glue on all bits where a hose was pushed in WHILST the car was running. You'll have to do all funky things like getting glove box out and radio out ect. At some stage you (hopefully) notice the hissing sound goes and your climate control works.

You manual is correct. Take notice of the two black hoses running past your airbox. This wont have anything to do with the issue you are currently having.

Blend door motor: Sits in the middle of the box. Approx behind the radio. If you were anywhere near me I had some blenders here for you if that was your problem.
Name says it all, blends cold and hot air for you to be totally comfortable :D

Good luck!

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Make sure you're not using an EL climate control module in your EF dude, it wont work properley, another possibility to consider.

Gab

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Now this is interesting and it may explain why I am having issues.

I have an EL in dash controller but it's possible my heater box came from an NF fairlane.

What are the symptoms of getting it wrong if you don't mind my asking?

I'm having issues getting the air to come out of the right place and the hoses all seem to be right.

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

The series 1 Ef had a different output than the series 2, so if your trying for dash vents it might go to the feet or something like that. Series 2 ( 95 onwards I think) are the same as the EL's. I have a series 1 1994 Fairmont.
I have just quicky skim read whats been posted guys, sorry the outlaws are here for Christmas and havent had the time to digest completely whats been said. I will read it again tomorrow and thanks for the replies. Both the Outlaws are deaf, meaning they shout every time they talk...... causing my brain to turn into mush today.

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

79raven wrote:
The series 1 Ef had a different output than the series 2, so if your trying for dash vents it might go to the feet or something like that. Series 2 ( 95 onwards I think) are the same as the EL's. I have a series 1 1994 Fairmont.
I have just quicky skim read whats been posted guys, sorry the outlaws are here for Christmas and havent had the time to digest completely whats been said. I will read it again tomorrow and thanks for the replies. Both the Outlaws are deaf, meaning they shout every time they talk...... causing my brain to turn into mush today.

This information is NOT correct. ALL EL Climate control modules are different to ALL EF Climate control modules. When using an EL module in an EF, many of the buttons wont do anything, and I am pretty sure it will default to the SCREEN position, and that's about all you'll get, and I'm pretty sure all you'll get is heat, I havent tried it for ages.

Gab

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I just remembered that the screen in my climate control was dead so I put the insides of an NF climate control unit in there.. so it seems likely that my heater box is EL and the controller is NF.. is there anyway to get them working together properly? (like putting the blue vacuum control box from an NF/EF on the heater box to go with the NF dash controller?

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Fit an EL/NL Climate control module - that's what I'd be doing, I've got one here if you want?

Gab

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]