Fordmods Logo

EF Climate Control unit question - WTF is this??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Climate Control unit question - WTF is this???
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA XR8 Boss 260 6-spd manual

New Zealand

I've got my dash fascia out doing a few things -
- trying to sort my climate control not working properly (ONLY blows on face - cannot/will not swithc to feet, screen, demist, whatever);
- fitting white dash gauges face;
- fitting blue LEDs into dash area;

To try and fix the climate control I went to swap the existing one for a guaranteed used part. When I carefully removed the existing one, unplugged the electrical connectors, but I see that black kinda vacuum hose coming off the back of the control unit was connect to NOTHING - just hanging loose in the air duct area. WHAT IS IT SUPPOSED TO CONNECT TO? Looks like a vacuum line, at least. Can I reach it back down in there by hand? Does this sound like dash out?!

Any help & advice much appreciated.

Logan
Auckland

Previous cars:
XA GT351 sedan (manual)
XF/XE club race car (351 manual)
EL Falcon
EL Fairmont
AU XR6
BA XR6 Turbo

Post subject: Re: EF Climate Control unit question - WTF is this???
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:13 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Territory TS TDCi

VIC, Australia

try looking around for a matching black hose in the cavity behind the center vents. i think it sucks air for the inside temp sensor. if its fallen behind the dash then it might be a dash out job unfortunately.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:28 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Was it one of those flexible hoses with crinkles? If it's the crinkle/flexi hose, then that's the cabin temp sensor hose, if it has come off, just means that you will get a false reading and the air will either blow out hotter or colder than it should. If you can reach it...connected back up, if you can't, find a way to get at it before you pull the dash out. I'm sure you can grab it without the dash out IMO.

There are no other hoses out the back of the CC unit besides the cabin temp hose.

If the working CC uni doesn't fix your vent problems, you should check in the engine bay to see if the cabin vacuum hose is actually connected...the vent actuators are vacuumed controlled...so no vacuum means no vent direction changes.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA XR8 Boss 260 6-spd manual

New Zealand

Cool thanks.

Yes it was that black flexi-hose. It was still connected to the CC unit, it was the other end that was just hanging into the vent-duct area inside the dash.

I checked all the vacuum connectors at the intake manifold on the weekend. Everything "looks" to be properly connected. Possible they've come off at the other end (inside the dash)??? Any way to check their function? The connectors I can see by peeking inside the dash all "look" connected as well. But of course you can't see them all...

Thanks

Previous cars:
XA GT351 sedan (manual)
XF/XE club race car (351 manual)
EL Falcon
EL Fairmont
AU XR6
BA XR6 Turbo

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:40 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Territory TS TDCi

VIC, Australia

does the display on the climate change from face to screen/feet, etc and will it switch from fresh to recirc? if it does its getting vacuum. it might be the vacuum control module. you can see it if you take the glove box out, but i'm not shore it can be changed without taking the whole dash out.

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Ok, I have the same problem lol, where does the sensor vacuum line go to, I have the "corregated larger line connected to the CC unit it then cuts down to a small "inline filter?" the only has about and inch of clear vacuum line on other side of that, where can I find the hose its ment to be connected to??? had a feel around and cant seem to find it.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

The other end of it is connected to the junction of vacuum lines near the airbox, in behind the glove box.

Refer to this document for better info: documents.php?d=8

May or may not be a dash out job to reconnect it...been a good few years since I last had mine out to convert the XR6 to climate control.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]