Ef dash into xf ute 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Ef dash into xf ute
Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hey guys,just looking for some help. So I want to put an Ef dash into my xf. I've read a few old threads and I'm really keen to do it. But honestly I'm a chick and I have no idea about electrics. I'm not looking to change the motor. So it's stock as a rock. It's also a column shift auto. So what instrument cluster would I be best of using? And what extra wiring will I need. ...keeping in mind that I will have to get an auto electrician to wire it up because I suck. Lol. Also wondering how hard would it be to put an ef steering column in it? And how hard would it be to put in an ef ignition barel and door locks?

Post subject: Re: Ef dash into xf ute
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

If you wanna put a cluster in thats pretty easy, although the temp gauge won't work as It gets it's info from the ECU. Do you have a carby or EFI xf?

I would put the idea of the colum out of your head and also the door locks.

Just put a set of central locking actuators in with a basic immobiliser/keyless entry kit on it so you get those features as well.
I assume that your door locks are pretty rooted hense the EF ones, or your just like the look of it?
I didnt even hook the switch up to the key locks cause mine are that stuffed, so unless it's an emergency cause i broke/lost the remote I wont use the key.

I just did the above to my xg ute and im running a ECU cause ive got a XR6 Cluster and also trip computer going in. also put on a set of electric mirrors in, you can get the ones of an xh that look like an EF/EL.

I also have made it I can put the xf cluster back in if need be, got two sets of plugs.
If you were in bris or goldy I could give ya a hand, but your not.
It's all pretty easy to do, learn a bit about electrical theory, start simple, wire up a lamp to a switch, learn how to crimp,solder and use test gear and you will get it sorted.

If ya want any advice let me know, ill send ya a PM.

If anyone on gold coast want's anything like this done let me know.

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

It's a carby xf. I can live with the xf locks ect,just wanted it to look a bit more updated by having an Ef key.(I know it's stupid,but it's the little details that make it) I've found a billet steering wheel I like so I'll live without the Ef wheel. How easy was it to hook up the heater and demisters with the Ef dash? Will I need an ecu for the speedo to work? How Hard will that be to wire up? I've got some Ef mirrors left over from one I wrecked a while ago. Would they work or will they have to be of an xh to fit?

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:52 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1991 eb1 fairmont

QLD, Australia

i fitted xg tibbi locks to an xf wagon once but had to chisel a new channel in the column lock to fit the xg barrel

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I only put the cluster in, not the whole dash, cause Im deleting part of the dash in mine, heater controls etc. Theres plenty of people round who put ef/el dash's into xf's.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]