Fordmods Logo

EF/EL Door Check Straps. Fix / Discussion :) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: EF/EL Door Check Straps. Fix / Discussion :)
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XR6 Turbo - T56 - 260RWKW

NSW, Australia

Hello everyone,
I'm fairly sure it would be a common problem, but the door check straps (the bits that hold your doors open) have failed on both my own and my uncles EF/EL falcons. Replacement parts WERE avaliable from Ford for $28 each, but it is now a discontinued item. So, I'm looking for a fix.

What happens to stop the doors holding open is that the rubbers inside the door check's wear down so far that the device simply goes straight past them, regular greasing help for longevity but they will wear out eventually.

I've had a few ideas for fixed so I'll post them bellow but I'd be interested to see if anyone else has found a fix.

Idea 1. Modify AU/BA Check Straps to fit. The AU onwards ones have much thicker rubber pieces and 2 springs to take the load rather then the rubbers. However, they have a stud rather then a hole for a bolt, and the studs are a different distance apart. They are also much thicker and the shaft is twice as long. But, as luck has it I have some of the AU/BA devices so what I'm going to try is to drill the studs out, open the holes up a bit so they line up, cut the shaft out and hammer the EF/EL one in, add a piece of sheet metal to reinforce the door with the stronger device and bolt it all up. I'm yet to see if this will work.

Idea 2. I've tried chopping up the AU/BA rubber bits to fit into the EF/EL device. However, it can be difficult to open up and close the device without the metal legs holding it together falling off. Also, I don't think the slightly different material inside the AU/BA devices has enough flexbility to do the job.

Idea 3. Use the worn out rubbers with the addition of several strong springs twistied together to mock up a similar device to the AU/BA one but on a smaller level.

I'll be trying Idea 1 tomorrow or the next day and post up how I go.

:)

2005 BA MKII XR6 Turbo 6 Speed Manual Xforce Exhaust, K&N Filter, C&V Tune @ 260RWKW

Post subject: Re: EF/EL Door Check Straps. Fix / Discussion :)
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

all of mine have failed too... (3 EF/EL's) I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up with. It annoys the hell out of my wife.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:49 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Territory TS TDCi

VIC, Australia

i dont know if the EA and EF check straps are the same but i found that Mitsubishi Lancers are very similar to the EA ones. even the bolts and bolt holes line up. heres a pic of the 2 side by side with the EA missing the bits inside

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:20 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XR6 Turbo - T56 - 260RWKW

NSW, Australia

Yeah that bottom one looks identicle to the EF/EL ones. Good find with the Lancer one, do you know what model it was from? Did you buy it new or from the wreckers.

I'll deffinetely try one if the BA ones aren't a success.

2005 BA MKII XR6 Turbo 6 Speed Manual Xforce Exhaust, K&N Filter, C&V Tune @ 260RWKW

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:38 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Territory TS TDCi

VIC, Australia

joshmcmillan wrote:
Yeah that bottom one looks identicle to the EF/EL ones. Good find with the Lancer one, do you know what model it was from? Did you buy it new or from the wreckers.

I'll deffinetely try one if the BA ones aren't a success.

it was off a 2000 CE Lancer sedan it came with a door we got from the wreckers. i thought it looked familiar heaps easier than modfying a AU/BA one!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]