Fordmods Logo

EF/EL Manual shifter 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: EF/EL Manual shifter
Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

WHAT UP FORD MODDERS! ummm lets say I got a manual conversion in pieces and lets say these pieces did NOT include a Manual shift boot or plastic centre console thing....Can a boot be added to the auto console or do I need a proper EF/EL manual plastic....thing!
Also if I got the plastic thing and the boot sucked, will those uni fits work coz I just never seen anyone have one, and I dunno why the grey ones suck!
:) thanks in advance

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Post subject: Re: EF/EL Manual shifter
Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:15 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

That plastic bit that goes in place of the auto shift surround is like a ring that has the boot wrapped around it. The "ring" is shaped like the outside of the auto shift surround however it is slightly smaller by maybe 1mm or so to accommodate the boot skin. You could probably make one out of plastic/aluminium/fibreglass if you got the skills...if not you can get a metal coat hanger and bend it into the same shape, making it slightly larger so that it is "spring" loaded into the centre console. With the boot wrapped around it, it might just hold in place.

You could cut the auto shift surround and file it down, although I don't remember how the auto shift surround is held into place.

Also I use a generic boot...however it is NOT a good fit and some modifications need to be done. From memory, the original boot is glued to the plastic bracket that just clips into the centre console. I removed the old boot leaving just the plastic ring with the clip tabs. I stretched the generic boot over the plastic ring, and cut holes in the boot for the clips to slide through. Mind you my boot is not the correct length, it doesn't reach all the way up the gear stick, so I let it slide wherever it likes.

Not perfect, but it does the job and looked much better than the ratty original.

Hope that helps.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Post subject: Re: EF/EL Manual shifter
Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

You inspired me to give it a crack!

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]