Fordmods Logo

EF Headlight Problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Headlight Problem
Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:47 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon EF

SA, Australia

Hey guys i have what i think is an easy answer for you and hope you can help me,my low beams seem to drop out every now and again mainly when i am changing from low to high beam or vice a versa,if i fiddle around with the low/high beam switch for a bit they seem to come back on so my thought is that i need to change the whole mechanism behind the steering wheel,the park lights and high beams have no problems at all.any suggestions please.
Cheers Lee

Post subject: Re: EF Headlight Problem
Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

There's a switching solenoid or capacitor or whatever its called that gets old and decides to start turning off a little like the switch in your old toaster. Basically, it gets hot and decides enoughs enough until it cools down and will then come back on. If you run high beams it will make itself known quite quickly.... All your lights will turn off for a few seconds and then flicker back on and off.... With low beams it'll happen less frequently...

I'm just going down to check my right hand low beam as seems to be out of order and noticed this question.

There is a recent thread here somewhere about it all. I found my high beams would start cutting out like this as I installed more powerful lights all around and the current drawn was probably too much for the old system...

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

there is a breaker underneath your water bottle i blew mine and the lights kept dropping out nd coming back on check to see if its all good there

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

shazza9275 wrote:
there is a breaker underneath your water bottle i blew mine and the lights kept dropping out nd coming back on check to see if its all good there

Is that what it's called again? A circuit breaker or something? Anyway - Dead right, it's under the water bottle..! Cheers Shazza!

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:07 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

well thanks for all of your suggestions,it seems im out numbered and should go and replace the circuit breaker under the coolant header tank before pulling the steering wheel off etc,il let yas know how i go

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:15 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Well i went and tried the different low/high beam switch,that didnt fix it,I replaced all the relays near the battery and that did nothing,i wiggled and tapped the relays under the coolant bottle and that did nothing,by the way which one of the relays under the coolant bottle is for the low beams? i know the green one is fuel pump so failing this if i cant fault a relay could my problem be a faulty headlight switch???

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:11 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

and now my lights seem to be working,dunno why but im happy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]