Fordmods Logo

EF trip computer lights 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: EF trip computer lights
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 744

Joined: 10th Nov 2005

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

installed my trip computer into my ef and also changed it to blue with LED's, now when i turn my key to the on position the display lights up but if i put it to the ACC possie the light goes out but i can see the display just, and if i push a button it lights up, i have checked and rechecked the connection from the trip to the panel plug and all is good. and also the permant words on the side Inst L/100Km/h etc are lit up with the key in ACC or ON but as soon as i turn on the headlights they go out and the big display dims even though i have LED's can anyone guide me on what i have done wrong here?

i did use the info from this site to wire it up so i need a bit more coaching.

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:34 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Sounds like your connection to the data cable on the RHS pin is out.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:50 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 744

Joined: 10th Nov 2005

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

yeah i thought that too but i checked that and re checked it and it's all connected and it works once the engine is started butnot when it's in ACC.

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 4609

Joined: 29th Jul 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

Location: Launceston
TAS, Australia

Davehimself wrote:
yeah i thought that too but i checked that and re checked it and it's all connected and it works once the engine is started butnot when it's in ACC.


if every thing is plugged in and wired up ok, the only explanation i can think of is it might be a faulty trip comp. especially if its been modded

 

_________________

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 37

Joined: 29th Oct 2005

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

lol... this was my main problem and still is...

I changed my clock and whole cluster including the odo and now when my lights are off and engine running, the clock and odo glow a nice bright red, but as I turn my lights on, which you do at night.... the red dims to a much lower level

no idea how to fix this though because my ef doesn't have a dimming switch
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 4609

Joined: 29th Jul 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

Location: Launceston
TAS, Australia

nesa09 wrote:
lol... this was my main problem and still is...

I changed my clock and whole cluster including the odo and now when my lights are off and engine running, the clock and odo glow a nice bright red, but as I turn my lights on, which you do at night.... the red dims to a much lower level

no idea how to fix this though because my ef doesn't have a dimming switch


wire your LCD LED's off another 12v power source. The cigarette lighter is a good one. Comes on when the ignition is on, goes off when the ignition is off. Easy! :D

This is what i have done.

 

_________________

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:03 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

My trip comp doesnt even light up at all, no matter what.

Any ideas on how to fix?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1552

Joined: 26th Oct 2005

Ride: Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

well my trip computer doesnt display until the key is in the ON position (when in ACC if u press buttons it displays/lights up... but doesnt stay on constant...)

i think this is normal cos 3 other ppl i know have upgraded from clock to trip and they all have to have it on the ON position for the trip display to light up.

as for the dimmer... did you connect the wire to a dimming device such as the rear dimister button? if not.. try that (its in the doco too)

good luck

 

_________________

SIGNATURE REMOVED - REFER TO FORUM GUIDELINES!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1552

Joined: 26th Oct 2005

Ride: Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
My trip comp doesnt even light up at all, no matter what.

Any ideas on how to fix?


blown globe?

 

_________________

SIGNATURE REMOVED - REFER TO FORUM GUIDELINES!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 744

Joined: 10th Nov 2005

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

i wired my lights up to permanent power from the cigarette lighter and then also from the globe for the lighter i'm guessing that was the wrong one.




By the way merry Christmas fellas.

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 4609

Joined: 29th Jul 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

Location: Launceston
TAS, Australia

theblackone wrote:
well my trip computer doesnt display until the key is in the ON position (when in ACC if u press buttons it displays/lights up... but doesnt stay on constant...)

i think this is normal cos 3 other ppl i know have upgraded from clock to trip and they all have to have it on the ON position for the trip display to light up.


This is normal on EA-ED's as well

Davehimself wrote:
i wired my lights up to permanent power from the cigarette lighter and then also from the globe for the lighter i'm guessing that was the wrong one.


Yes don't wire them up to the cigarette lighter bulb! I made this mistake and wondered why my LED's only came on at night :roll: . At least i wasn't the only one
:P

 

_________________

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:03 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

theblackone wrote:
twirqurky wrote:
My trip comp doesnt even light up at all, no matter what.

Any ideas on how to fix?


blown globe?


You know I didnt even look, might check it out sometime soon.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1552

Joined: 26th Oct 2005

Ride: Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

did u check the globe? if u can see the numbers very slightly, and it doesnt light up.. im pretty confident that could be the problem :P

 

_________________

SIGNATURE REMOVED - REFER TO FORUM GUIDELINES!

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Spinb and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:53 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names