Fordmods Logo

EF Trip Computer Not Working! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Trip Computer Not Working!
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

i've wired up everything to the trip computer like the backlight and the dimmer wire but the send wire for fuel/speed reading just isn't working!! checked all fuses and checked again and again and it's the right wire but still not working!!

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:07 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Is it in the right pin number? Is the wire in firmly enough? Is the poower circuit right?

What type of car you putitng it in?

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

yeh i checked its the right pin number wire is really firm and there is power like if you press on the buttons the clock apears but when the ignition is turned on it doesn't change

Post subject: Check this
Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

I had the same problem when I fitted a EL dash to my EA.
You will not get anything on the trip unless the data from the EEC is present. The data actually comes from pin 14 on the RHS connector of the cluster The EEC supplies the cluster on pin 8 RHS connector and the cluster sends it out on pin 14. I take it this is on an EF/EL?
I also assume that the temperature gauge and mileometer on the cluster work ok. As the temperature gauge uses the data from the EEC to get its reading. If you have put the wiring in yourself the data cable should be a shielded cable with the shield only connected at one end at the cluster. This stops electrical noise from interfearing with the data. I do have the circuit connections etc. If you wired it yourself PM me with your connections. ie cluster pin to trip pin numbers. What cluster do you have in your dash low/medium/high . See if any of this helps and PM me to let me know how you go. I am moving house so the replies may not be instant, but I will keep my eyes open for your PM.
Cheers
Clive :D :D

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:46 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

falconea wrote:
...If you have put the wiring in yourself the data cable should be a shielded cable with the shield only connected at one end at the cluster. This stops electrical noise from interfearing with the data....

This is what i expected and answers part of a question i had asked on another thread, thanks.

Do you know what problems would occur if you do not use a shielded cable or do not connect the shield to earth ?

Cheers.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

You may not experience any problems at all. But data is very much more suscepterble to interference. Your local DS store or Ta__y store will have shielded cable for not much money. Audio shielded cable is OK just get one with a fairly thick center wire. You can put the shield to earth at the trip if you want just dont connect the shield at the other end. :D

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

The trip computer probably works off relays. Relays do stick. On some cold mornings my trip computer wont activate until well in the trip. It was also rather lazy to activate when it was first installed come to think of it.

Post subject: Shielded cable
Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Interesting. I did not use shielded cable for my installation and have no problems (touch wood). My apologies for misleading you on the other thread itchi.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:57 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

mspw wrote:
The trip computer probably works off relays. Relays do stick. On some cold mornings my trip computer wont activate until well in the trip. It was also rather lazy to activate when it was first installed come to think of it.

Disasembled my trip computer cause i'm a curios chap - there were no relays within. Also pulled apart my cluster and again no relays within.

The only place i have seen relays within some module is in the BEM and i believe there for power window and central locking functions (but not sure).

I would suspect you have some other connection problem (maybe an unshielded data cable :).

Cheers

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Could be a corrupted wire. Its defintely the data line.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

You DON'T actually need shielded wire to pin 14 I installed mine and it works perfectly There are NO relays in this system as the signal comes from the ecu to the cluster and from the cluster to the trip computer I followed the doco and it took me about 30 minutes from start to finish. 8-) :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
mspw wrote:

Disasembled my trip computer cause i'm a curios chap - there were no relays within. Also pulled apart my cluster and again no relays within.

The only place i have seen relays within some module is in the BEM and i believe there for power window and central locking functions (but not sure).

I would suspect you have some other connection problem (maybe an unshielded data cable :).

Cheers

Hmmm, yep - definately unshielded.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:53 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

GTBob wrote:
You DON'T actually need shielded wire to pin 14 I installed mine and it works perfectly There are NO relays in this system as the signal comes from the ecu to the cluster and from the cluster to the trip computer I followed the doco and it took me about 30 minutes from start to finish. 8-) :D

Got to ask this again.
Being that Ford are real penny pinchers in many aspects of how they build differant models of their a vehicle series (GLi, futura, fairmont,...). Why would they use a shielded wire in their looms if it is not needed ?

Cheers.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:30 am 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
GTBob wrote:

Got to ask this again.
Being that Ford are real penny pinchers in many aspects of how they build differant models of their a vehicle series (GLi, futura, fairmont,...). Why would they use a shielded wire in their looms if it is not needed ?

Cheers.

For confidence that it will work properly and all the time.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]