Fordmods Logo

EL Fairmont sedan dash into gli wagon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Fairmont sedan dash into gli wagon
Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Got myself a cheap donor car to do this conversion, so far I have swapped steering column misc climate control bits (fan speed controller,blend door motor,vacuum controller,ambient temp sensor).Now looking at fitting cruise control & door locks, complete dash & EEC out of fairmont will be going in tomorrow. My question is does the GLI have the wiring harness to suite cruise control(it does have ABS fitted). & should I expect any error messages from computer seeing as I am using BEM,EEC,Egnition barrel & door locks from the fairmont? Also I need to change the electric airial switch for the rear wiper switch does the fairmont sedan's dash harness support this?

Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont sedan dash into gli wagon
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Gidday.

I presume that your GLi is an EL too?

The easy way to check if you have the wiring in the engine bay for the Cruise is to check for the plug beside the brake booster.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:41 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Yeah wagon is an EL also, cruise sounds easy enough, then just have to plug the dash in & see how it goes.

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Slow progress today, I lifted the carpet in my el gli wagon to see if it had the wiring for power windows but unfortunately it does not , so I put the harness out of the el fairmont sedan in there but the sedan & wagon harness differ somewhat after the rear abs connectors, so I have cut it just behind back seat & I'm attempting to splice the two together. Most of the wires are the same colour so I just joined those ones but there are others unaccounted for on the rear section of the wagon harness, this could be for the wiper washer motors & possibly the rear dome light I'll have to trace these back to the main connector at the dash & add the wires in. A bit more work than i had thought just to put power windows in, but hey its only costing me time. On the positive side, door & tail gate locks are fitted, the tail gate one is different to the sedan boot one but I wanted all locks to be keyed alike so I took apart the barrel of each lock & swapped them over, a bit fiddly but having different keys would be a pain. Also fitted power aerial & power window capable harness to each door. I interested in hearing how others have tackled this problem of fitting power windows to their wagons, I wouldn't imagine there would be to many fairmont wagons available as parts donors for their wiring harness.

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

mate thats a huge job. i re-shelled an el fairmont into an ef classic. engine and interior. entire wiring loom, front to rear, lights and everything. 4 power windows. dash, with climate control.
wouldnt wish the job upon anyone.
all the power to you mate.

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Dash back in today, turned it on & the only fault light on the dash was for the low coolant sensor, I had forgotten to swap the coolant reservoir over. A quick run through functions of the climate control proved I had fitted everything correctly cause it all works as it should, Rear wiper washer works as well, I was a bit concerned about that because I had to run extra wires for these as they were not present in the sedan harness for obvious reasons. Just to note when fitting cruise control that the brake master cylinder has an extra switch attached to it, I would assume for cruise control cancel when brakes applied. Also I noticed the oil gauge went straight up to max as I forgot to install the pressure sensor to the engine. Seats go back in tomorrow then test drive, woo hoo.

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Good to hear that you only had some minor things to fix after getting it all put back together.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Back seat in today after a bit of modification, the hinges are different on the sedan seats so removal of the seat covers and foam was necessary to gain access to the rivets that the seat backs pivot from. 8mm bolts with nylok threads were used to attach the wagon hinges to the sedan frames. Also the side sections of the seat were different, due to the longer wheel base of the wagon the wheel wells are positioned f@rt back. This meant recovering the deeper wagon foams with the covers from the fairmont (a bit of a stretch but can be done).

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]