Fordmods Logo

EL Tacho Needle 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: EL Tacho Needle
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:40 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 41

Posts: 3785

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford

Location: Victoria
VIC, Australia

Lately I've noticed that the needle on the tacho on my EL Fairmont isn't returning to the point where it should be once the car is turned off. The needle drops down most of the way but doesn't return to where it should be. When I start the car up the needle then returns to where it should be for a split second then proceeds to work normally.
What could be causing that? Could it be something simple like some dust hindering how it works?

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Tacho Needle
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 843

Joined: 20th Feb 2010

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Elizibif Norf (Local Spelling!!)
SA, Australia

Is it a constant occurrence or does it only happen in cold wet weather? I ask because the other old EF wag used to do the same in those conditions, when I stripped it for parts I discovered the connectors for the cluster had corrosion on them.. I'd check them 1st. If not strip the cluster down and blow any dust etc out, but I would have thought dust would prevent it from dropping as you say when you restart the car.

 

_________________

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.


Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Tacho Needle
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 41

Posts: 3785

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford

Location: Victoria
VIC, Australia

Esteven8 wrote:
Is it a constant occurrence or does it only happen in cold wet weather? I ask because the other old EF wag used to do the same in those conditions, when I stripped it for parts I discovered the connectors for the cluster had corrosion on them.. I'd check them 1st. If not strip the cluster down and blow any dust etc out, but I would have thought dust would prevent it from dropping as you say when you restart the car.


It does it in all types of weather.
When you say "Connectors for the cluster" do you mean then plugs that plug into the bottom of the cluster?

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Tacho Needle
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 843

Joined: 20th Feb 2010

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Elizibif Norf (Local Spelling!!)
SA, Australia

revcore wrote:
When you say "Connectors for the cluster" do you mean then plugs that plug into the bottom of the cluster?

Yes.

 

_________________

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.


Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Tacho Needle
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 41

Posts: 3785

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford

Location: Victoria
VIC, Australia

I took the cluster out and cleaned the connectors and the plugs but it's still doing the same thing. Inside the dash is clean and dust free too. I'm at a loos as to why it could be happening.

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:12 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names