Fordmods Logo

Electirc Info 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Electirc Info
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:12 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Ok take my dash out and my cluster and painted it silver.

Put it back together but the dash didnt even come close to sitting flush. But stupid me, didnt pay attention. Went to smartlock the car, it locked but indicators didnt flash. Once again I didnt pay attention. Trip computer didnt work but this was a wiring problem so I didnt pay any attention.

Started to rain and I put my headlights on but no paark lamps. So as Im driving to work I am unscrewing my dash as I go along wondeirng if it was a connection problem. Found out it blew the 20A fuse. No worries got another one chucked it in.

Left work 9 hours later (1230am) and went to turn on the lights and nothing blue came out. Blew the fuse again. So, without lights, drove to the servo 8km down the highway, bought a oack of 5 20A fuses. Put two in and they both blew. SO I grabbed the 30A fuse powering the cigeratte lighter and it blew that.

SO had to drive 20km down the highways, with no dash lights. Thank God for cruise control. Wondering does anyone know what the f**k is going on? This is some weird s**t anyone got any ideas?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:21 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5858

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

Location: Leederville
WA, Australia

sounds like a wire is shorting... you may have crushed one by mistake when refitting the cluster? hence why it wasn't sitting flush - you may have pushed it against a set of wires behind it. take your cluster out again, and have a very good look at all the wires behind it - make sure none have been split etc. make sure your connectors all plug in correctly, and refit the cluster in - but try it all & see if it works before you completly refit the dash surround etc.

 

_________________

R.I.P. Scotty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 42

Posts: 452

Joined: 21st Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

It's a bit hard to tell what is the problem without looking at it but I have a suggestion for you.

If you blow a fuse multiple times, don't try and get around it by putting a bigger fuse in. A fuse is sized depending on the size of the wire in the circuit. It has nothing to do with the load.

If you are blowing fuses you have too much current in the wire, could be for a hundred reasons. A bigger fuse that doesn't blow is allowing more current than the wire can handle. This will cause it to get hot and burn the insulation, followed closely by the rest of the car.

DON'T PUT BIGGER FUSES IN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

 

_________________

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:54 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Quote:
It's a bit hard to tell what is the problem without looking at it but I have a suggestion for you.

If you blow a fuse multiple times, don't try and get around it by putting a bigger fuse in. A fuse is sized depending on the size of the wire in the circuit. It has nothing to do with the load.

If you are blowing fuses you have too much current in the wire, could be for a hundred reasons. A bigger fuse that doesn't blow is allowing more current than the wire can handle. This will cause it to get hot and burn the insulation, followed closely by the rest of the car.

DON'T PUT BIGGER FUSES IN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.v


Yeah I know mate, I needed a quick fixx as I didnt want to drive home on the highway with no lights.


Dropped it in to the auto electriains this morning see what they say. Hope they fix it.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:13 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Just got a call from the auto electrian....the aftermarket trip computer I fitted, the speaker wire has disconnected from the TC loom and was touching the metal of the air con vents, therefore shorting the system.

Simple hey.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 42

Posts: 452

Joined: 21st Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Just got a call from the auto electrian....the aftermarket trip computer I fitted, the speaker wire has disconnected from the TC loom and was touching the metal of the air con vents, therefore shorting the system.

Simple hey.


Speaker wire on the TC ????? Do you mean the speed sensor wire ???

 

_________________

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:11 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

No I mean the speaker wire I used to install the 3 extra necessary wires for a non-stock Trip computer vehicle.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electirc Info
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:33 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 6275

Joined: 24th Nov 2004

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Ok take my dash out and my cluster and painted it silver.

Put it back together but the dash didnt even come close to sitting flush. But stupid me, didnt pay attention. Went to smartlock the car, it locked but indicators didnt flash. Once again I didnt pay attention. Trip computer didnt work but this was a wiring problem so I didnt pay any attention.

Started to rain and I put my headlights on but no paark lamps. So as Im driving to work I am unscrewing my dash as I go along wondeirng if it was a connection problem. Found out it blew the 20A fuse. No worries got another one chucked it in.

Left work 9 hours later (1230am) and went to turn on the lights and nothing blue came out. Blew the fuse again. So, without lights, drove to the servo 8km down the highway, bought a oack of 5 20A fuses. Put two in and they both blew. SO I grabbed the 30A fuse powering the cigeratte lighter and it blew that.

SO had to drive 20km down the highways, with no dash lights. Thank God for cruise control. Wondering does anyone know what the f**k is going on? This is some weird s**t anyone got any ideas?


Dunno about EF's, but in EL's, the cluster only has a 10A fuse! (which I managed to blow installing my TC :lol: )

 

_________________

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow - 97.5rwkw
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. 293rwkw - 12.427@109 - 0-1000m 24.838@221

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 10126

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

10 points to Fraser for posting the right answer!!

 

_________________

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:42 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Happy wrote:
10 points to Fraser for posting the right answer!!


Tell him what he has won Happy...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 850

Joined: 10th Nov 2004

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

Location: Forest Lake
QLD, Australia

Your lucky my attempt at putting in a TC resulted in a wire shorting out on the stering column and frying the hell outta all 3 fusible links at the battery..
It's the nicest of feelings seeing thick grey smoke pouring out of the corner of the bonnet...

 

_________________

Regards,
Punnisher_42
_____________
2003 BA Fairmont - Stock standard
1994 U13 cough Nissan Cough Bluebird

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:27 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names