Fordmods Logo

Electrical woes 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Electrical woes
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 4146

Joined: 7th Dec 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Allo,

Some of you might know, but the mont was in storage for quite some time.

Mechanical still A1, even the oil and coolant level was spot on after months and months of sitting.

Problem is though I'm getting a few electrical gremlins creeping in.

I'm quite sure it sort of started after fitting a new head deck, but who knows.

Either way sometimes I will start the car and things like the radio, interior lights and wipers won't work. I'll shut it down, start it up again and hey presto, they work again.

Also the other day I literally broke down (everything on but no crank) and was about to call RACQ when a young guy in the pool shop with an EF came out and showed me what was wrong. He had me tap the dash, under and to the left of the streering wheel where the body control module is and then crank, it started.

Could all this just be the body control module or something else? I'm blowing fuses quite regularly too.

The lad said go see an auto electrican and have him fix it (weld it or something?). Tried my wrecker but no green ones (mid/high level ones). Any advice appreciated.

Ta,
Adam

 

_________________

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 55

Posts: 1566

Joined: 12th Apr 2008

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

Location: Wattle Grove
NSW, Australia

Sounds like it could be the BEM they seem to affect a lot of things! I had to replace mine cost $350 from memory :roll: does it affect the boot light? :lol: :lol: sorry dude - couldn't resist! :lol:

 

_________________

Image
NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
ZD build thread under construction at post1136180.html#p1136180

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 4146

Joined: 7th Dec 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

fairlane6970 wrote:
Sounds like it could be the BEM they seem to affect a lot of things! I had to replace mine cost $350 from memory :roll: does it affect the boot light? :lol: :lol: sorry dude - couldn't resist! :lol:


Whereabouts is the BEM? And yeah I guess so, it's all the interior lighting and the boot one must be part of the system too. Hillarious.

 

_________________

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 55

Posts: 1566

Joined: 12th Apr 2008

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

Location: Wattle Grove
NSW, Australia

Rick_Deckard wrote:
tap the dash, under and to the left of the streering wheel where the body control module is


I would be trying this area!

 

_________________

Image
NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
ZD build thread under construction at post1136180.html#p1136180

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 843

Joined: 20th Feb 2010

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Elizibif Norf (Local Spelling!!)
SA, Australia

Remove the dash surround and you will see, just down from where the fuel gauge is, the top of the BEM. The GLi's have the plug on the top and from memory the Mid/High series plug in from underneath and have a clip of sorts on the top. Both are held in by 2 screws either side of the top of the BEM.
Hope this helps you out.

 

_________________

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.


Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 4146

Joined: 7th Dec 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Alright, thanks lads. No experience with having them simply repaired? Having trouble finding the mid/high series at wreckers.

 

_________________

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 25

Posts: 510

Joined: 8th Aug 2010

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

Rick_Deckard wrote:
Alright, thanks lads. No experience with having them simply repaired? Having trouble finding the mid/high series at wreckers.


this for the EF fairmont ?

it will be a EF Green high series will have wires at the top
EL have the wires near the bottom on there side and are slimmer

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-EF-NF-Fairmont-Fairlane-Ghia-Body-Control-Module-/170631632039?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ba7014a7

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EF-NF-FAIRMONT-F ... 3cb6e434c1

and if your not going to want your old faulty BEM ill happily pay for it :)

 

_________________

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:14 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 66

Posts: 2548

Joined: 18th Mar 2006

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

Location: wollongong
NSW, Australia

Rick_Deckard wrote:
Allo,

Some of you might know, but the mont was in storage for quite some time.

Mechanical still A1, even the oil and coolant level was spot on after months and months of sitting.

Problem is though I'm getting a few electrical gremlins creeping in.

I'm quite sure it sort of started after fitting a new head deck, but who knows.

Either way sometimes I will start the car and things like the radio, interior lights and wipers won't work. I'll shut it down, start it up again and hey presto, they work again.

Also the other day I literally broke down (everything on but no crank) and was about to call RACQ when a young guy in the pool shop with an EF came out and showed me what was wrong. He had me tap the dash, under and to the left of the streering wheel where the body control module is and then crank, it started.

Could all this just be the body control module or something else? I'm blowing fuses quite regularly too.

The lad said go see an auto electrican and have him fix it (weld it or something?). Tried my wrecker but no green ones (mid/high level ones). Any advice appreciated.

Ta,
Adam
check the head deck wiring,i think its there,the bem will be ok.its getting a feed back,so 50\50 starting up

 

_________________

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 4146

Joined: 7th Dec 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
Rick_Deckard wrote:
Allo,

Some of you might know, but the mont was in storage for quite some time.

Mechanical still A1, even the oil and coolant level was spot on after months and months of sitting.

Problem is though I'm getting a few electrical gremlins creeping in.

I'm quite sure it sort of started after fitting a new head deck, but who knows.

Either way sometimes I will start the car and things like the radio, interior lights and wipers won't work. I'll shut it down, start it up again and hey presto, they work again.

Also the other day I literally broke down (everything on but no crank) and was about to call RACQ when a young guy in the pool shop with an EF came out and showed me what was wrong. He had me tap the dash, under and to the left of the streering wheel where the body control module is and then crank, it started.

Could all this just be the body control module or something else? I'm blowing fuses quite regularly too.

The lad said go see an auto electrican and have him fix it (weld it or something?). Tried my wrecker but no green ones (mid/high level ones). Any advice appreciated.

Ta,
Adam
check the head deck wiring,i think its there,the bem will be ok.its getting a feed back,so 50\50 starting up


What you mean exactly mate? I will check the wiring though, I had to really push it in so maybe something went wrong.

 

_________________

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 4146

Joined: 7th Dec 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
Rick_Deckard wrote:
Alright, thanks lads. No experience with having them simply repaired? Having trouble finding the mid/high series at wreckers.


this for the EF fairmont ?

it will be a EF Green high series will have wires at the top
EL have the wires near the bottom on there side and are slimmer

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-EF-NF-Fairmont-Fairlane-Ghia-Body-Control-Module-/170631632039?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ba7014a7

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EF-NF-FAIRMONT-F ... 3cb6e434c1

and if your not going to want your old faulty BEM ill happily pay for it :)


Thanks mate. I actually went to a wrecker and pulled one out of an EF Falcon and fortunately the guy there asked if I "had the right colour". It was then I remembered that 'green box' behind the dash.

 

_________________

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 66

Posts: 2548

Joined: 18th Mar 2006

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

Location: wollongong
NSW, Australia

any progress with it?how did you wire it up.

 

_________________

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:46 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 4146

Joined: 7th Dec 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
any progress with it?how did you wire it up.


Just recently started working again mate, so it'll have to stay on the back burner for a few weeks unfortunately. I've found some ways to temporarily fix the problem. Big one is turning the wheel while and after cranking so that the power steering has to do some work.

Cheers,

Adam

 

_________________

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 55

Posts: 1566

Joined: 12th Apr 2008

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

Location: Wattle Grove
NSW, Australia

Rick_Deckard wrote:
Alright, thanks lads. No experience with having them simply repaired? Having trouble finding the mid/high series at wreckers.


My local auto electrician replaced mine with a "reconditioned" one when I first bought the Fairlane it cost around $300 all up from memory.

 

_________________

Image
NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
ZD build thread under construction at post1136180.html#p1136180

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 25

Posts: 510

Joined: 8th Aug 2010

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

fairlane6970 wrote:
Rick_Deckard wrote:
Alright, thanks lads. No experience with having them simply repaired? Having trouble finding the mid/high series at wreckers.


My local auto electrician replaced mine with a "reconditioned" one when I first bought the Fairlane it cost around $300 all up from memory.


ive repaired a fair few BEMs with great success but to recondition would leave me stumped as there is no way to tell when a electronics item like a chipset would fail and so it would only fall under repair unless replacing every chipset (is possible but you gotta buy like a 1000 of each chip on there that isnt mass produced anymore) and this would make it a highly costly and time consuming setup id say you only got a repaired one there mate as they are very easy to repair

 

_________________

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Electrical woes
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 55

Posts: 1566

Joined: 12th Apr 2008

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

Location: Wattle Grove
NSW, Australia

That's why I had it in "parenthesis" as it was more likely just checked / repaired.

 

_________________

Image
NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
ZD build thread under construction at post1136180.html#p1136180

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:13 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names