Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Factory Subwoofer Manufacturer
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Folks, anyone know who made them ??
The EF/EL speakers are pioneer (EB/ED are Alpine ??), but I'm assuming the sub is a different brand, since it's probably the same type used from EB to about EL.
About all I know is they're an 8" free air type, and is 6 ohms impedance.

Reason I ask is I have one, and it's in good condition, but the speaker cone foam is disintegrated, but you can replace it - http://stores.ebay.com.au/www-SimplySpe ... 34.c0.m322 .
And there's plenty of docos online on how to do it.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Last edited by snap0964 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Factory Subwoofer Manufacturer
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Early e series speakers are pioneer too...I would have guessed the woofer was too? :?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:04 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well I'm guessing that's probably the case - unlike the smaller speakers, the sub only has the ford number 91DA-xxx and emblem, etc on the back, no manufacturer, unfortunately.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:08 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I've never seen one from an e series... But there was a B series one floating around home once... Not sure about it now... :?

Unless Papa can pull specs off the Ford data base from the number?

The drivers all seemed to be pioneer while the high end end player in the early e series was an alpine so go figure what they were up to there...

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:17 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Other thing is the sub is 6 ohms - you'd expect 4 ohms. And I suppose a 4 ohm sub would still work happily on the factory amp.
I know probably I'll get the 'Why don't you just buy another sub?', but I'd think this would be a common condition where the foam has suffered sun damage, and if I can source and fit a suitable replacement foam, it would be useful info on here.
I actually didn't think you could repair speaker cones/foams, etc.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:21 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Na it is the first I've seen of it...

My car had none and I wanted a JBL sub (preferred brand) but was hard to get one... I ended up with a pioneer shallow mount sub in the parcel tray which hangs no further than the boot channel... Sounds great for what it is... Gives me full boot space still...

I never ventured into getting a factory one only because I'm not a paper cone fan, nor a foam surround fan for those reasons... Like things to be a little more durable...

But its always good to see people repairing instead of replacing because the art of repairing will be no more in not to distant future :shock:

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:35 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yes, repairing is a dying art.
Other thing is if the voice coil is okay - I'm assuming if a resistance check is okay, then the voice coil should be too.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:43 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah its only a coil between the terminals so if it measures right that's all there is you can do...

Obviously the cone and spider are OK? Other than those... Do magnets loose magnetism? :? Not much else to them that can go wrong...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:53 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

Might be worth giving these guys a call. http://www.totalrecoil.com.au/

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Yeah its only a coil between the terminals so if it measures right that's all there is you can do...

Obviously the cone and spider are OK? Other than those... Do magnets loose magnetism? :? Not much else to them that can go wrong...

Cheers,
Tim

Magnets loose their magnetic properties when you heat them up. So if you burn your coil, you effectively also over heat parts of the magnet making the magnet a tiny bit weaker...got to melt it for it to really lose it's magnetism.

Also snap...the foam surround can be changed easily...the cone is a little bit harder though. You can always replace the standard plastic/paper cone with a custom carbon fibre type one...will last longer that's for sure.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:46 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

BAXLS03 wrote:
Might be worth giving these guys a call. http://www.totalrecoil.com.au/
Thanks for the link.
TimmyA wrote:
Obviously the cone and spider are OK?
Yep, both are fine. Spider hasn't sagged.
phongus wrote:
Also snap...the foam surround can be changed easily...the cone is a little bit harder though. You can always replace the standard plastic/paper cone with a custom carbon fibre type one...will last longer that's for sure.
Yeah, e.g. this is a good guide http://www.decware.com/newsite/refoam.htm . Thing is you need to be careful your repair cost doesn't blow out - then it gets to whether buying new is the better option. The speaker location will be out of direct sunlight - unlike a rear parcel shelf.
I'm guessing it shouldn't matter what type of 8" replacement foam you use - brand specific.
I could be wrong though - hence I guess I'll need to contact a few repair outlets.
The foam I noticed on the factory sub is glued onto underneath the cone.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]