Fitting front power windows 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Fitting front power windows
Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:04 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

Hi gang,Im doing the power window mod on my EL Gli and I need a couple of questions answered. Already have the factory wiring needed in the doors to hook up the power windows and where the power switches go below the cup holder I dont seem to having any wiring there for the switches,only had a quick look.Can anyone confirm that has done the conversion if there already is wiring there for the switches and if not can I get the wiring from a wreckers and just plug it all in.

Cheers.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Have you read the doco?

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Yep read the doco, though some wiring it says to install is already there..ie door wiring is already there from factory so I thought that maybe the wiring for the switches was there as well.Will have to pull the console apart to verify.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

my EF had none of the wiring.
i had to add it in the doors and the bdoy

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:43 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: falcon

VIC, Australia

hi,

i have done a full power window conversion in my EA and in the family EF Gli.

As far as i know, the Gli didn't come out with the power window loom. However, dont be worried, because its not all that hard. you only need to run 2 wires from the Centre Console switch to doors for the power windows.

The most important thing is that the power window control switch came with the wiring harness. If you dont than go back to the wreakers and get it. It will make you job a lot easier.

When you run the wires to the door, its easier to take out the front seats, centre console, unplug the ECU some of the plastic other covers.

doing it in reverse with a fwd is like being fuked by a fat man and saying "well he has tits so i'm not gay"

Post subject: Re: Fitting front power windows
Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

nightstalker wrote:
Hi gang,Im doing the power window mod on my EL Gli and I need a couple of questions answered. Already have the factory wiring needed in the doors to hook up the power windows and where the power switches go below the cup holder I dont seem to having any wiring there for the switches,only had a quick look.Can anyone confirm that has done the conversion if there already is wiring there for the switches and if not can I get the wiring from a wreckers and just plug it all in.

Cheers.

how come your GLi already has the front wiring loom?

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Post subject: Re: Fitting front power windows
Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

how come your GLi already has the front wiring loom?[/quote]

No idea,but I remember when I was gettting the door trims retrimmed there were already power window wires tapped up inside the door.I assume that ford fit the same basic wiring harness in every car and just add to it when they need to for certian power options.

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Well got most of my parts today though still waiting on the power window regulaters.Going by the power widow switches the electical side to them looks completly different to whats in the conversion doco.I dont have the circuit board as shown in the doco,just the 2 switches running there own seperate wiring to 1 big plug that I asume connects to a wiring loom under the console.The large plug has only 6 connections so Im gonna have to work out what each connection is.Also one question,where should I hook up for the power for the switches,and also the earth?I will post some pics when I hopefully get my camera back tomorrow.

Cheers.

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Im not going to use the existing wires in the door as I think I will have trouble down the track when I go to hook up the switches so Im rewiring the whole lot.Just finished running the cables from the console to and thru the front doors..wasnt that a pain,took me around an hour just to do that,well at least thats out the way.Next I need to know how to tap into the ignition for power and should I just earth some where hear the shifter?

Cheers

Attachments:
Pics 006.jpg
Pics 006.jpg [ 554.66 KiB | Viewed 248 times ]

Last edited by nightstalker on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

The doco is about converting 4 windows which includes the console switch ... if you are only doing the front two then you don;t have the circuit board...
I would suggest a few things, use reasonably heavy wire as the motors drag a bit of current. Tap into 12v near the fuse box and put a fuse in. Make sure your 12v is only live when your ignition (acc) is on so they won't go down without the key.

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:15 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Thanks Happy,Im using 15 amp wire for the cabling from the console to the power window motors,what would be a good amp size for the power.Could I just tap in any where for the power(only live when key on) and fit a inline fuse.

Cheers.

PS.How would I go about working out which wires do what? I dont want to blow anything up .. :D

The black wires are paired so I assume they are earth.
The white looking wires are actually grey and they are paired as well so I assume they are positive.
And they other 4 wires are 2 red for power and the other 2 orange and green, are I would assume negative.
Would that sound correct ?

Attachments:
Pics 012.jpg
Pics 012.jpg [ 533.22 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]