Fordmods Logo

fixed heater core, but now have other issues! HELP! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: fixed heater core, but now have other issues! HELP!
Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

hi all, my fathers car (95 model ef ghia) had a leaking heater core and air was not coming out of the dash vents, but working fine for everything else, i took the very stupid job of fixing this. i dont know if all car manufactures are the same but this definately has to be the b**ch job i have ever done and ALMOST turned me off fords for life.

ANYWAY, when the dash came out i noticed two blend motors (round cylinders attached to flap to control air flow) where broken, one in the middle of the dash and one near the passenger footwell. so i changed these units(which i had to change the whole box for on the passenger side that cost me $150!). Anyway i put everything back together and made sure that all the vacuum hoses etc etc were connected.

PROBLEM- once all connected i had two problems, air flow would only come out of the dash vents, you would turn it on no matter what mode it was on, the air speed would increase to the max and only come out of the dash vents. i bel;eive this is default correct? anyone have any idea why???

the car also has premium sound and another issue i had was that the cd option wouldnt work on the HU. radio and tape work fine but when you press cd it wouldnt work and the stacker doesnt seem to have power so it seems as though there is some sort of power problem.

MAIN CONCERN: my main concern is the air flow control, if anyone has any ideas please please let me know because after all that work it wasnt the best feeling to find it not working properly still.

thanks!

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

Sounds like you have a vaccum fault somewhere, i'd be double checking all connections...there is a vacuum diagram in the gregories manual.

Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

Screen airflow is the default. My only blows through the centre vents and the control motors seem to be operating, so it appears that the door is broken.

Are you sure the replacement motors were working? Sounds like a simple vac/ electrical connection problem.

So, how much was the new heater core? I need one too...:(

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i was sure that all vacuum hoses where connected properly, the control motors where brand new from ford for the ones i changed so no dramas there. the heater core was $70, my friend is a mechanic and got it for me at trade price i beleive. it honestly is a harder job than changing the engine in a car i reckon so make sure u know what your in for.

i have one manual, (cant remember the name of it now), it has the blue cover and it honestly is crap, it doesnt even state where the screws to take the dash off, it just says take the screws out so i ditched the manual.

im thinking that maybe the actual motor where all the coloured vacuum hoses go into is screwed.

if i do a diagnostic should it say what the problem is??

i really want to get this working so any help would be appreciated.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

BOSXR8 wrote:
im thinking that maybe the actual motor where all the coloured vacuum hoses go into is screwed.
if i do a diagnostic should it say what the problem is??
Possibly, but it won't indicate if the vacuum solenoid unit is at fault.
You're probably best to pull the dash forward a foot (all wiring looms can stay connected) and fully test the whole system, you can then recheck your wiring, and watch the actuators work - something's happened while you've had it apart no doubt.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah i think i will do that on sunday. my dad says that the face vents work now. sowe have the face, and dash working still the foot well section not working, apparently he gave the dash a few slaps and it worked.... pulling it back a bit isnt hard at all once you have pulled it out before so ill see how i go on sunday, should i just look out for vac hoses mainly you think??

thanks for all your help

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ED GLi

QLD, Australia

sounds like you may have left a vac hose off and possibly a wire for the cd not hardto do with so many hoses and wires everywhere just do a double check and go from there

and on the eighth day God created the Falcon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]