Ford EL Trip Meter 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Ford EL Trip Meter
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EL GLI 1997

VIC, Australia

Hi everyone.

im having a bit of trouble with my Ford el gli 1997 sedan. i recently fitted a trip computer from the fairmont version. everything appears fine but as soon as i turn on the parkers / headlights, the trip screen turns off and so does the odometer, i can see it barely with light shining on it.

i tried removing the trip computer but now the odometer still doesnt light up when the parkers are switched on. i have wired all the wires together correctly aswell. only started as soon as the trip computer was fitted

any help will be much appreciated

Post subject: Re: Ford EL Trip Meter
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

What did you use as the wire for the illumination feed? When I did mine I used the demister button illumination wire and have had no issues. You may have mixed up pins 6 & 7.
You have probably already seen This (tech doc for trip comp install) but pay particular attention to pin 6 & 7.

Pin 6. - Park Lamps Signal
This Wire is used to Illuminate the O/Speed, Set, and Search Buttons, as well as the side mode indicator.
This line can be connected to any Instrument Illumination Bulb, and typically all these lines are coloured Brown.
Some suggestions on where to connect this line are either the Illuminated Rear Window Demits tor Button, (Brown Wire), or the Cigarette Lighter Illumination, (Brown Wire).

Pin 7. - Illumination Dimmer signal
This Wire is used to Dim the Button Illumination for the O/Speed, Set, and Search Buttons, as well as the side mode indicator.
This line can be connected to any Instrument Illumination Bulb, and typically all these lines are coloured Dark Blue/ Red.
Some suggestions on where to connect this line are either the Illuminated Rear Window Demits tor Button, (Dark Blue/ Red)
This line cannot be connected to the Cigarette Lighter Illumination, as this Illumination DOES NOT DIM, when the Dimmer switch is operated.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:18 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks Esteven8 for the reply,

thats the exact method i used. the trip meter is currently disconnected and still the odometer wont light when the parkers / headlights are one.

before i connected the trip meter, the odometer used to dim but was still visible in night conditions

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Did you use a plug from the trip comp when you did the wiring or did you add wires to the existing clock plug? (As I did with mine)
Aside from the issue with the lights was everything else working correctly? And are you having any trouble with any of the other instrument lighting or is it only the odo and trip meter?
If everything else is working I'd consider re-doing the wiring for pin 6 and ensuring everything is connecting properly. It may take a bit of trial and error but I'm pretty confident that is where the problem is.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

@Esteven8

i used the same plug but i wired 3 extra wires one from the instrument cluster ( might i add this is a fairmont cluster changed awhile ago) to the data line, pin 6 to the ciggie light, and pin 7 to the demister light.

i also tried removing the wires i linked but still no hope. all wires appear to be connected correctly.
This issue started as soon as i plugged the trip computer in before i wired the trip data, and light wires. i then realised that maybe the lights werent working because i forgot to add the wires.

It didnt change anything

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

did you add the resistor to the fairmont dash when you installed it? if not, you have to. if you did, that may have blown. i had to replace the resistor on my mates xr.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Did the Odo just stop with the trip computer, or has it not worked since you changed the cluster ? If it hasnt worked after the cluster change then as mentioned prior the resistor is needed. There is info at the resource Tab, but you dont need to pull it apart to fit the resistor. If you take the front off you can fit the resistor without taking anything else apart.

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]