Fordmods Logo

how to go about changing interior colour theme? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: how to go about changing interior colour theme?
Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:51 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1994 ford fairmont ED

WA, Australia

Hey, ive been thinking about changing the colour theme of my interior to look a little like the FG G6E interior.

How would I go about this?

I think it would be best to try it on a scrap dashboard so im not to ruin my actual one.

What products should I use?

What steps are there to take?

My best bet would be to get the seats trimmed professionally as I would like better seats probaly from a ef/el or the like.

cheers
Brett

Post subject: Re: how to go about changing interior colour theme?
Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

You can buy Vinyl paint. Ive tried the supercheap stuff and also the motospray stuff. Problem is its scratches real easy, so unless your planning on wearing cotton gloves every time you touch your interior Id stay away from them.
Ive also tried enamel paint and it seems to hold better than vinyl paint. Might be worth asking how much it would cost to professionally have your stuff recovered?

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:12 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1994 ford fairmont ED

WA, Australia

It would be nice to get it all retrimmed at the same time but I think it would cost alot to go all out but what doesnt.

I could paint the plastics myself thats easy

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Painting the plastics is easy but make sure you prep the surface well and apply a decent amount of clear coat. Still, it will look good for a while and I guarantee it will chip or peel or rub off somewhere and ruin your hard work

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:28 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Power: 12 rwkw

SA, Australia

Don't use vinyl paint, as raven said it will flake off. Get vht vinyl DYE no chipping or flaking. It's a bit more expensive but well worth it.

EL Mont- mods: 2.5" catback, clear indicator repeaters.

Planned mods: Boooooooooooooossssssssst :D

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:10 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Regarding the seats. I am pretty sure there is a company that does leather seats kit with choice of colour for the EF/EL? I can't remember who had the seats done but the finish product was really good.

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LEATHER-SEAT ... 3cbda347ab

Regarding the dash, well that depends how much effort you want to put into and what kind of finish you want. You can either dye the top of the dash and any other vinyl parts, or get it vinyl wrapped, which is a hard and tedious task, not to mention expensive. With plastics I'm not sure, you can either paint them with enamel or get custom plastic bits made up out of fibreglass/plastic/aluminium.

Personally I'd go with the professionally fitted seat skins and then do some custom plastics for the dash/console areas, especially if you plan on putting aftermarket sound system. I'd try and wrap most of the smaller vinyl stuff in another colour, whole dashboard might be some what tricky though.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

buckets4LTR wrote:
Don't use vinyl paint, as raven said it will flake off. Get vht vinyl DYE no chipping or flaking. It's a bit more expensive but well worth it.

That the s**t I wanted for the Mq. Nobody had any clue what I was talking about when I said vinyl dye. I tried Autobahn, supercrap and scotts. I ended up getting the motospray saturn dark grey off scotts for $18 a can and clear coated the s**t out of it. Ill see how long it lasts and if it f**k up Ill get another dash and try again as the dash is in s**t condition anyway.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:15 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

if you want it to be really good, the best way is a re trim, dash can be recovered, seats can be covered or re trimed, plastics can be painted without to much problems.. the key is the preparation,

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
if you want it to be really good, the best way is a re trim, dash can be recovered, seats can be covered or re trimed, plastics can be painted without to much problems.. the key is the preparation,

Yeah I seen a bloke on ebay doing it on the cheap too. I think he was in QLD though. I dont think it would be that expensive, thats why I said it to the OP, the Mq's dash is warped a fair bit so my idea was to just get rid of the blue for now till I decide to either go a gq dash ( might mean changing car from 24v to 12v though) or a better quality mq and then get it retrimed.
I think the bloke on ebay was quoting $100 for a dash and really thats not bad considering the hassles with the painted version and the care you need to take to not scratch or chip it every time your in the car.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Regarding the seats. I am pretty sure there is a company that does leather seats kit with choice of colour for the EF/EL? I can't remember who had the seats done but the finish product was really good.

Isn't Proseat the same people that messed markr1967 around? He said the quality was good, once they FINALLY came. Did look into it for a time and was turned off by some of the negative feedback.

Anyway, as previously said, vinyl DYE > vinyl paint. The one that I use/used was I think a Duplicolour brand? Which is at Autobarn/Supercrap, they had a good deal on so I bought a fair few cans. I only did one door as a test and it looked great, but didn't use any clear or anything over the top to seal it, and probably could have done a few more coats, because where I rest my elbow on the driver's door trim, some of the grey was starting to rub through after a couple of weeks. Only if you were looking for it would you notice it, though.

That's a before and after that I got with it, with some spotlight vinyl in the door card, suede on the armrest and some bunnings marine/auto carpet for the map pocket.

TROYMAN wrote:
the key is the preparation

Couldn't agree more, I spent AGES taking apart the door trim so I could do each individual bit for more coverage, then cleaning and more cleaning! But like anything, it comes out great if you're willing to put the effort in.

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Fairmont

Power: 12 rwkw

SA, Australia

Yep definitely get a decent sized bottle of wax & grease remover, with the dye you don't need no primers or anything, if you paint you will need to plastic prime.

EL Mont- mods: 2.5" catback, clear indicator repeaters.

Planned mods: Boooooooooooooossssssssst :D

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

steedy wrote:
phongus wrote:

Isn't Proseat the same people that messed markr1967 around? He said the quality was good, once they FINALLY came. Did look into it for a time and was turned off by some of the negative feedback.

Wouldn't have a clue. I just posted it as an example...not to specifically go with that brand. Although since you brought it up, to the OP...make sure you research who to buy from :).

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 98 EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

I did a full interior change in my EL from grey to red and black. I used the VHT Vinyl Dye and it works a treat. Just clean the area with wax and grease remover, scuff it up/rub with red scotchy and do about 2-3 coats allowing to dry in-between coats. I did my standard grey dash black about 8 months ago and I have had no fading whatsoever. I did every plastic trim the same way as it also works on plastic otherwise you can use a flexi primer and plastic paint/vinyl paint. I also did my door rubber/pinch weld with the VHT too.
I got my black 'reborn' leather seats with red double stitching, matching handbrake boot and centre console lid for under $1000 by Ultimate Auto Trim (they have a website) I ordered and they were done in like a fortnight and I'm very happy with the quality and fit. You just remove your seats, pull off the existing material exposing foam and slip it on like a seat cover, just thread some string through to pull it tight wasn't too hard to do.
I got my roof lining done by a local trimmer who was a champ and did it in quality black suede for $100 he did my parcel shelf in just the stretchy black carpet for $40.
I got moulded carpet in black from online for $120 and they do tons of colours fits good too.
I work at Autobarn and we sell the VHT is like $16-$17 a tin (I would go the Buckskin Tan and Black Satin for your case.)
The Motospray Flexi Prime is $18-$19 a tin.
I painted my dash in the same red as my car after lots of sanding and priming to make smooth. Finger prints can show up a bit but doesn't chip as easy as people reckon when done right and looked after. Worth all the effort.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL falcon clasic

VIC, Australia

How did you get the carpet the right shape? I have some of the same carpet and I'm doing the same as you but having trouble getting the right shape.
Also how did you attach it and the vinyl? (Did you use contact adhesive ?)

steedy wrote:
phongus wrote:

Anyway, as previously said, vinyl DYE > vinyl paint. The one that I use/used was I think a Duplicolour brand? Which is at Autobarn/Supercrap, they had a good deal on so I bought a fair few cans. I only did one door as a test and it looked great, but didn't use any clear or anything over the top to seal it, and probably could have done a few more coats, because where I rest my elbow on the driver's door trim, some of the grey was starting to rub through after a couple of weeks. Only if you were looking for it would you notice it, though.

That's a before and after that I got with it, with some spotlight vinyl in the door card, suede on the armrest and some bunnings marine/auto carpet for the map pocket.

TROYMAN wrote:
the key is the preparation

Couldn't agree more, I spent AGES taking apart the door trim so I could do each individual bit for more coverage, then cleaning and more cleaning! But like anything, it comes out great if you're willing to put the effort in.

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:26 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

You mean the map pocket bit? Just ripped the old bit off, lay it over the top, then cut the outline out with a real sharp blade.

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next