Fordmods Logo

How to install amps? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: How to install amps?
Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey guys I've recently come into possession of 2 amps, I can't find anything about them they have no model number or wattage written anywhere and look rather generic (not sure if even car audio). Both are identical I was just wondering how I'd go about wiring them up!

I want to run 1 of the amps to the 2x10 subs in the boot and the other amp to the front speakers.
I can't see where on the amps the power cable (big red 4 gauge one) connects and the same for the ground cable. The amps have B+, GND and REM terminals on each, I assume B+ is where the big red cable connects, and GND would be the earth. This is self explanatory but these power terminals on the amps are tiny in comparison and I don't remember removing the big cables directly from those terminals when I stripped the setup out of my wreck.. the amps were also wired in series from memory and had a blue cable connected to both the the REM socket/s in series also, and then appeared to run up towards the head unit.

Should I be ok if I run the power and ground cables in series through both amps? With those small terminals I don't know how the wires were connected previously as bare 4 gauge wire alone is far too big for the B+ terminal, same for the ground cable and the GND terminal.. but that must've been the case.. Regarding the front speakers I connect the RCA to amp/head unit, but then do I have to wire my front speakers from the doors all the way back to the amps in the boot or is there another way/loom I can splice into? Was also worried about whether I need to worry about matching up watts/ohms/frequencies etc I don't want to blow up any gear!

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by ILLaViTaR on Fri May 09, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How to install amps?
Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Those Pics dont help much. I would run them on a bench and make sure they work. They dont look like they will have much power, from the lack of heatsinks. You will need to run some heavy wire for both + and - and use a proper terminal. The Rem will be to power it on, or you can connect it to the Acc. circuit. The front speakers wont take much more power than the original stereo put out and the later E series had a cut out in the back shelf for a Sub. See what you find in Tech Dos, it may be a lot of work for not much gain. Doors tend to rattle, and if you put in big speakers they can foul the window when you wind it down.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Hope this helps

4 gauge positive to distribution block and 8 gauge to the amps in PARALLEL. Wire size depends on power requirements of amps, protected with a suitable fuse. REM wired in parallel as well from the remote or amp switch on wire on the head unit, acc circuit if not fitted.

The speakers wire directly to the amp as they won't be powered from the head unit anymore. As above, the stock speakers may not last with the extra power.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]