Fordmods Logo

How to put neons in the foot area AU ford falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: How to put neons in the foot area AU ford falcon
Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2000 Ford Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hey im really new to the whole mechanics and upgrading car scene.
i just got my 2000 ford falcon au, and i wanted to do a few modifications to it.
i wanted to put blue neon lights for driver + passanger foot area.
is it possible?
and how do i install it?
is there a special type of neon?
sorry im really new to this.

Post subject: Re: How to put neons in the foot area AU ford falcon
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

There is no special place to get neons from . Most repco stores have them but you have to wire them up to what ever circuit you want to use to light them up . In this case the interior lights so you will need to find the fuse for your interior/courtesy light and run the power from there

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH

NT, Australia

I spliced the wire to one of the interior lights and ran them from there. I got two little Aerpro neons for $20. With the LED roof globe it looks good without looking rice and over the top. Heaps brighter.

If you get neons or LED tubes make sure they don't have a mode switch and they are on/off only. To hold them up I just used cable ties. Cheap and not very professional but nobody can see them and they do the job.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

Hmmm... Just wondering but you can wire them using the cigarette lighter right? And if yes, my next question... How the hell do you get the lighter out... Mine will not budge!
I got on eBay and bought 6 led stripes, I think they are the best to use (not as bulky/expensive as neon tubes... Much easier to make discret). 6 neon stripes for $40.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH

NT, Australia

I suppose you could but then they might come on at night when you have the headlights on. You might find the wire to the roof interior light easy to get at in the utes. Mine ran just behind the drivers door up to the roof so I just ran the wire under the carpet and the centre console.

Should be easy to wire up but if they are LEDs with that stupid mode switch that makes them flash etc you may find it hard to get them to come on every time without having another switch somewhere.

As for the cigarette lighter, you may have to take the surround off and get at it from the back.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2006 FPV F6 Typhoon

ACT, Australia

If you have the time and patience, you can hook the neons up to a switch, which is what I have done. I would recommend this if you are going to use the cigarette lighter as a power source because as Thomas said the neons will come on when driving, but it wont be because your headlights are on. As long as the car is on and there is power running through it, the lighter will be receiving power. If you use a switch it will allow you to turn them on and off as you please.

I hooked the switch up to my cigarette lighter, and then my neons up to the switch. but sometimes it can be difficult to find a decent place to put the switch without looking tacky, but that's all up to personal preference.

But if you are new to doing modifications such as neons, I would recommend using the interior light like everyone else has said. it's probably the least fiddly way to do it.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BAII XR6T

NSW, Australia

With my AU, i hooked them up to the keyhole light, so when the interior lights come on, the also came on. You can also use your existing lights switch to turn them on and off. All you have to do is splice into the light and then run wire to where ever you want them.

FOR SALE BAII XR6 TURBO

Build Thread StrawbZ AU XR6 & BAII XR6T

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]