Fordmods Logo

Keyhole Illumination 

 

Page 1 of 5 [ 64 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

 
 Post subject: Keyhole Illumination
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:15 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 290

Joined: 5th Mar 2007

Ride: BA XR6

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Hi fellow Ford Modders.

On the BA's, there's a small light which illuminates the keyhole. Anybody know how easy it is to change this to blue to match the cluster at night? What are the steps needed to get to the light, and what kind of globe is it?

I hope there isn't too much messing around needed just to change a light...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:57 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 50

Posts: 3227

Joined: 12th Feb 2007

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 113 rwkw

Location: your mums
NSW, Australia

if its anything like the ones for the fairmonts and ghias its built into the lock not sure if you can open or change it without pulling the lock apart

 

_________________

BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:20 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 290

Joined: 5th Mar 2007

Ride: BA XR6

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

OK that's interesting. Sounds like it might be a pain.

Anyone got any ideas about changing the globe and how to go about it?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:09 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 6275

Joined: 24th Nov 2004

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

The hardest part will be getting a matching colour blue.

The blue Ford/FPV decided to use for the XR/FPV's is rather hard to come by.

 

_________________

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow - 97.5rwkw
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. 293rwkw - 12.427@109 - 0-1000m 24.838@221

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:59 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 290

Joined: 5th Mar 2007

Ride: BA XR6

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

data_mine wrote:
The hardest part will be getting a matching colour blue.

The blue Ford/FPV decided to use for the XR/FPV's is rather hard to come by.


Yes I have noticed that. Not too fussed about getting a 100% match, I'm more than happy to experiment. Just curious as to how to get to the light at this stage.

Anyone able to help?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:56 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 290

Joined: 5th Mar 2007

Ride: BA XR6

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

bump....

anyone?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 11791

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

Location: SE Melb
VIC, Australia

pull the lower styeering column shroud off for starters - stick you head under and have a look for the two screws

 

_________________

Nicko

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:55 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 290

Joined: 5th Mar 2007

Ride: BA XR6

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Had a look at this on Friday last week.

There is a small cap on the righthand side of the steering wheel (just below the keyhole) which pops out quite easily. If you do this, you can see the light coming from inside a glass case. Can this glass be removed to get to the light? Is this how you go about it?

I had a go at removing all the screws underneath the steering column also. I did this, and the plastic cover was wobbly but I couldn't figure out how to get it off.

Anyone able to shed any light on this? Cheers.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:41 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 290

Joined: 5th Mar 2007

Ride: BA XR6

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Well guys, managed to get to the bulb today and remove it.

Anyone know what kind it is? Would it be better to put a blue LED in, or just put a filter on this one?

Pics attached.

 

 

Attachments:
IMG_2017.JPG
IMG_2017.JPG [ 171.48 KiB | Viewed 123 times ]
IMG_2016.JPG
IMG_2016.JPG [ 153.03 KiB | Viewed 71 times ]
IMG_2015.JPG
IMG_2015.JPG [ 145.39 KiB | Viewed 75 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 12

Joined: 4th Nov 2007

Ride: 1998 DL LTD

Location: Tumbarumba
NSW, Australia

Real easy to swap with a LED and still use the original holder. I did this on my DL LTD for the demister and antenna switches. They turned out really bright.

I got some bright T5 wedge LED globes of ebay. What I did was remove the plastic housing, this leaves you with an LED with the required resistor etc that can then be easily mounted in the original mount.

With the original mount, get a needle and pry out the metal legs pf the globe that are exposed on the bottom of the holder, once the two legs are straight enough, just pop the globe out from the top.

Now put in the LED and bend the legs and push them back into the slots. Done!

If the LED does not light up, just turn it 180 degrees as you need to have the polarity correct for the LED to work.

Let me know if you want more info, I can pull out the onces I fitted and take some photo's if necessary.

Image
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:39 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 290

Joined: 5th Mar 2007

Ride: BA XR6

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

flacco54 wrote:
Real easy to swap with a LED and still use the original holder. I did this on my DL LTD for the demister and antenna switches. They turned out really bright.

I got some bright T5 wedge LED globes of ebay. What I did was remove the plastic housing, this leaves you with an LED with the required resistor etc that can then be easily mounted in the original mount.

With the original mount, get a needle and pry out the metal legs pf the globe that are exposed on the bottom of the holder, once the two legs are straight enough, just pop the globe out from the top.

Now put in the LED and bend the legs and push them back into the slots. Done!

If the LED does not light up, just turn it 180 degrees as you need to have the polarity correct for the LED to work.

Let me know if you want more info, I can pull out the onces I fitted and take some photo's if necessary.


Thanks for your reply flacco.

I actually ended up buying a whole new holder/LED off ebay. Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=011

If it doesn't work properly, I'll try to pry out the old LED and insert a new blue one into the old holder. It should hopefully arrive this coming week.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:06 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 290

Joined: 5th Mar 2007

Ride: BA XR6

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

The LED arrived today and I installed it. It looks and works a treat.

 

 

Attachments:
IMG_3689.JPG
IMG_3689.JPG [ 118.81 KiB | Viewed 117 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 12

Joined: 4th Nov 2007

Ride: 1998 DL LTD

Location: Tumbarumba
NSW, Australia

Great job... Looks a treat. Nice and bright too!

Like the floor illumination. Neons?

I put a set of neons in the old car and found them too bright (had them hooked up to a sound mod so they flash with the bass, but too distracting). The LTD has awesome illumination of the whole interior but it is not coloured. I am thinking of changing it all over to blue LEDs but I am not sure. It's abig job, rough count there are about 15 LED I would need just for the interior lights!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:46 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 6275

Joined: 24th Nov 2004

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

I know of a NL Fairlane with UV LEDs everywhere. Weird effect.

 

_________________

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow - 97.5rwkw
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. 293rwkw - 12.427@109 - 0-1000m 24.838@221

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:51 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 290

Joined: 5th Mar 2007

Ride: BA XR6

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

flacco54 wrote:
Great job... Looks a treat. Nice and bright too!

Like the floor illumination. Neons?

I put a set of neons in the old car and found them too bright (had them hooked up to a sound mod so they flash with the bass, but too distracting). The LTD has awesome illumination of the whole interior but it is not coloured. I am thinking of changing it all over to blue LEDs but I am not sure. It's abig job, rough count there are about 15 LED I would need just for the interior lights!


Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it! I'm pretty happy with the outcome myself.

The floor illumination is neon, yes. The tubes are tucked under the dash and are not visible, hence all you get is a soft blue glow whenever the dome light comes on. It all looks pretty schmick.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 5  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:28 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names