L.E.D question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: L.E.D question
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ED Futrua Classic - Manual

NSW, Australia

I have an ED and want to do the led dash conversion ... i took one of the current globes n holders out of the cluster this arvo and even showed it to the guy a auto one, and it looks like i should be able to put a standard T10 led in. Is this correct? Do i need to worry about wattage or any s**t like that? Cause if not, ill just get a few T10 led's and use them, right??

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:03 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

VIC, Australia

It will still look almost the same as the stock dash cluster as the EA-ED Cluster uses yellow filters to create the dials, etc..

I can almost gaurentee it will come up bright in some spots and dull in others and will still look yellow..

Good waste of $$$'s IMO..

Cheers,
Nik

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 94 Futura

WA, Australia

LEDS are like rectifier diodes electrically. They are forward biased in use so need to be connected the right way around. LEDS also require a resistor in series to limit the current through them.
Wherever you buy them they should be able to advise you what the maximum continuous current can be.
Knowing this you can determine the appropriate minimum value of current limiting resistor to use.
You may find they are too bright at maximum so higher value resistors will dim them down. Unfortunately different series of LEDS have different efficiencies and current ratings so I suggest you experiment a little with the resistor values to get the brightness you require just keep the currents below the LEDS maximum. Look in the technical documents someone has done all this before...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]