Fordmods Logo

Leather EL-AU 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:07 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Daniel wrote:
Ill also add it depends what model you get.
I wouldnt touch the Ghia/fairlane leather - its pretty much like voids said compared to the LTD GT or FBT leather, MUCH nicer and doesnt go shiney, well not in my case and still smells/looks/feels new.

Only time leather is a REAL issue for me is when i need to carry stuff on back seat as i dont want to rip or mark the leather as you could imagine, for an everyday car id go velour, just keep it well cleaned likei did my old fairlane and it will be softer then new haha.
Well I keep the golf clubs in the back of mine so thats why I changed to the velour. Sooo comfy...

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

QLD, Australia

Daniel wrote:
LTD leather doesnt go shiney

yeah it did in our LTD. It will eventually wear for sure. You just need to keep looking after it very well.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

i recon it is how you treat your interior and may even depend on what cloths you wear eg cotton or denam, and also what you clean and polish it with. myself personally i'd prefer leather and i wont buy another car without it. i find stains are easy to clean and smells better. but each to their own.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

did anyone mention static elctricity from an all velour interior? My old ZK was full velour and as soon as you touched the door handle, you got zapped.

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Do a conversion with the BF GTP LeMans leather seats hehe :P

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

camh1980 wrote:
did anyone mention static elctricity from an all velour interior? My old ZK was full velour and as soon as you touched the door handle, you got zapped.

I never had that with my velour interior.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
camh1980 wrote:

I never had that with my velour interior.

when my old man had the suzuki (cloth trim) he was constantly getting zapped as he opend the door, he decided to put a earthing strap on it when the edge of the door zapped him on the nipple.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:32 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

EBII92 - You will generally find that most EF/EL's will have ordinary driver's seats - it comes down to everyday wear and negligence most of the time - also be weary of the cushions...they dilapidate just as bad - especially if you have had big tubs of lard sitting in them lol.

Interesting read lads - I've had EL Ghia cappucino leather, DL LTD cappucino leather and currently have FBT two-tone cappucino leather.

IMHO, the stock standard Ghia / LTD leather is not much chop...yes the pattern in the LTD is different and given it is commonly found more-so in limos and is probably maintained quite well (in most cases) it does present a little better. However speaking in generalities (hehe) the standard EF/EL/NF/NL/DFL/DL leather is no where near as nice as leather found in some of the Commodores (VT's onwards) - to me it says that there is better out there - both cushion and cover wise (Auto-Image do great stuff - but at a VERY premium price).

The FBT leather is *largely* Howe leather AFAIK - so it's a little bit nicer...and the pattern is geared towards better bolstering to hug the occupant better - but yes as it has been said, if you're taking a 'spirited corner' you do tend to slide around (compared to velour). However all in all - I'm happy with leather as it is comfortable enough for me (I don't do long trips!).

The EL GT is also a great interior (if you don't mind the black!)...as it is a great culmination of suede and leather - the suede 'wings' of the front seats help you stay in place and the leather...well that's just nice too lol...I guess a Grand Tourer has to live up to its name (at least in some capacity!).

Finally, another option is half leather / half velour - the EB/ED Ghias had this AFAIK and is very nicely done - the EF/EL's also had it (EF / EL had differing patterns though).

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I would always choose leather even if the car is a daily driver

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2