Fordmods Logo

led Dash mod quick question 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: led Dash mod quick question
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 34

Posts: 454

Joined: 15th Feb 2005

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

hey guys

i did the mod last night and its all good except for the antenna and rear demister switches. I plugged them in and then switch the dash lights on and they started smoking so i killed them quick. now what have a i done??? i didnt put resistors on them cause theres like no room for them. Is that what they need or have i just put them in the wrong way??

cheers
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 1040

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

LED's can only handle 5volts hence the resistors to drop the volatge from 12v to 5v.

I think you just cooked a couple of LED's

 

_________________

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 686

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

if they are LED's, then they will need resistors. the way i did the switches was just add extra wire so the resistor was all on the left empty side and then the wires came around and hooked onto those little metal bits :P

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 3893

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

got yaself a couple of friodes :D

 

_________________

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 740

Joined: 20th Nov 2004

Ride: BA Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Gaz wrote:
friodes
lol

does the demister switch light up in GLi models?
cos i think the lamp in mine is broken.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:32 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5858

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

Location: Leederville
WA, Australia

Ryan0001 wrote:
Gaz wrote:
friodes
lol

does the demister switch light up in GLi models?
cos i think the lamp in mine is broken.


yeah it does BUT don't take the bulb out, and leave it out! :? i did that to mine, turned the lights on, and it fried all the wires! smoke coming from under the dash is not cool. i put the blown bulb back in & just left it...

sold the car before i got around to fixing it :wink:

 

_________________

R.I.P. Scotty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 686

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

hahaha unlucky! i had my bulb out.. didnt do nething! maybe the metal pieces were touching?!

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 34

Posts: 454

Joined: 15th Feb 2005

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Thanks guys will fix it tonight

Lucky i got 2 spare leds :D
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:09 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5858

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

Location: Leederville
WA, Australia

Laximah wrote:
hahaha unlucky! i had my bulb out.. didnt do nething! maybe the metal pieces were touching?!


no idea :? won't risk it again in any car, but i sold the car anyways - lol so i never ended up having to deal with it! :P

 

_________________

R.I.P. Scotty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 3893

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
Laximah wrote:
hahaha unlucky! i had my bulb out.. didnt do nething! maybe the metal pieces were touching?!


no idea :? won't risk it again in any car, but i sold the car anyways - lol so i never ended up having to deal with it! :P


nothing suss!

 

_________________

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 4307

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

Location: Mornington Peninsula
VIC, Australia

uglybob wrote:
Ryan0001 wrote:
Gaz wrote:
friodes
lol

does the demister switch light up in GLi models?
cos i think the lamp in mine is broken.


yeah it does BUT don't take the bulb out, and leave it out! :? i did that to mine, turned the lights on, and it fried all the wires! smoke coming from under the dash is not cool. i put the blown bulb back in & just left it...

sold the car before i got around to fixing it :wink:


WTF?
that *should* have blown a fuse before it created smoke :o
i did the same thing with mine, did blew a fuse, nothing more.

 

_________________

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:20 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5858

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

Location: Leederville
WA, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
uglybob wrote:
Ryan0001 wrote:
Gaz wrote:
friodes
lol

does the demister switch light up in GLi models?
cos i think the lamp in mine is broken.


yeah it does BUT don't take the bulb out, and leave it out! :? i did that to mine, turned the lights on, and it fried all the wires! smoke coming from under the dash is not cool. i put the blown bulb back in & just left it...

sold the car before i got around to fixing it :wink:


WTF?
that *should* have blown a fuse before it created smoke :o
i did the same thing with mine, did blew a fuse, nothing more.


yeah i know - it was really weird hey - it started frying the wires back from the switch going into the dash :? no fuses, no nothing - just started cooking itself!

 

_________________

R.I.P. Scotty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:09 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 2198

Joined: 8th Nov 2004

Ride: EL Ghia - XF Ego 302 Clevo

Location: Shit Creek
WA, Australia

Laximah wrote:
if they are LED's, then they will need resistors. the way i did the switches was just add extra wire so the resistor was all on the left empty side and then the wires came around and hooked onto those little metal bits :P


when are u coming over to do mine then :)

 

_________________

Team EGO

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:26 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 53

Posts: 5589

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

uglybob wrote:
Ryan0001 wrote:
does the demister switch light up in GLi models?cos i think the lamp in mine is broken.
yeah it does BUT don't take the bulb out, and leave it out! :? i did that to mine, turned the lights on, and it fried all the wires! smoke coming from under the dash is not cool. i put the blown bulb back in & just left it...
sold the car before i got around to fixing it :wink:
Laximah wrote:
hahaha unlucky! i had my bulb out.. didnt do nething! maybe the metal pieces were touching?!

Yeah, one of the metal tangs that the bulb base sits against flops around when it's not fitted, and will possibly short out against the other.
Other than aftermarket and Ford(easiest option), and robbing the bulb and holder from another demist S/W, if you have a spare base instrument cluster, the low fuel and high temp lights are the same type - but you need to remove the circuit board from the cluster to get at them.

 

_________________

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:16 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names