Page 2 of 4 [ 46 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: LED's :)
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

haha... i hear you... I bought two 30cm strips for my footwells as a trial for this stuff... sure it was 20 or 25 each length posted... So hence the bulk buy bargin for when i did my boot... Seeing as I have some left may make up a boot light for one of my brothers too...

And SMD 5050 chips I find to be longest lasting... I only use SMD5050's now... All my T10 fittings are 5 chip smd 5050s a couple of 9 chip ones... My T5's in my NL cluster are all SMD5050's And they give great coverage... My recommended chip...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

lmaoo yeah they are really good.i have to upgrade my dash.ive just got some led's from autobarn, they do light up nice though i just think 1 or 2 arnt working atm but nothing another packet wont fix ol.yeah well im going to do an overhual on my boot in the next few weeks just adding timber floor and backing so you cant see the gas tank all timber wrapped in black carpet and put a draw sort of thing next to the gas tank so i can still use the space and make the spare tyre spot on hinges.might give me abit of weight but hey nothing a turbo wont fix lol so yeah those lights will work a treat :) thanks for the link.

cheers daniel

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

I just did a boot light mod myself,
I used the same 5m strip as TimmyA evidently.
Turns out really nice and really bright.

I'm still trying to figure out how to reuse the remaining strip, as the seller said you can cut every three LEDS, although, the wires don't protrude in a very obvious way.

Blue blooded.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FG XR6 N/A LPi 09/2010

NSW, Australia

This Guy on the bay does the 5050 SMD for $43.99 plus free shipping and is in Oz

Code:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/White-5M-Waterproof-5050-SMD-Flexible-LED-Strip-300-led-/260873020213?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cbd3e6335

I'm thinking about getting a strip myself. Just waiting on a message back from the seller inquiring about the connectors, how many you get and can you order extras. If all fails as a laptop/computer repairer I have no issues soldiering cables onto the strips but would prefer to keep the strips more module so I can change it up if I want to.

BTW. picking up my new ride Nov. 21 ......... Sept.2010 XR6 factory fitted LPG in Nitro
really it's for the Misses, her daily ride

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The issue I see with these ones is unclear photos... One set show a white pcd and the others show a brown-ish pcb... So it is hard to know what'll turn up in the mail... The seller I bought from had super clear photos and made it obvious what I was buying... After being burnt many times on ebay I like to be 100% sure on what I'm buying...

I'll tell you now that they're not modular... It is a continuous length of LED's... 5 meters long... they may come with a meter or two of cable soldered to one end already with bare ends... But that is it...

You can cut them every 3 leds (about 5cm) along the lines on the pcb... then, on mine, you remove the waterproofing rubber epoxy type stuff off the contacts at the start of the next bit and then solder on another length of wiring...

That is on the ones I bought... I could see in the very clear photos that the seller added what the strip looked like and how the contacts were arranged and how I could do it... Because two or three products are shown in the item you're looking to buy I can't really say how you'll be able to solder wiring to the next length on the reel...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FG XR6 N/A LPi 09/2010

NSW, Australia

Thanks Tim, All your points are valid and I'll keep them in mind.

cheers
Garry

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

G'day Tim.

I was reading your post with great interest in LED's

I'd like to get my boot done the same as well as dome lights in brighter LED.

I'm a novice when it comes to having these wired up etc.

Would it be possible for you to send me a wiring diagram as to how they have been wired up and fitted?

Thanks, Peter

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:36 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

as far as the boot goes, I know on the ED that the existing light plugs in with two spade connectors so you simply crimp two male spade connectors to the LED strip and then plug into the two factory connectors...

As for "dome light" is this the interior light? You buy a lamp style of the same one in the car and then remove the incandescent one and plug the LED on it... For example my NL interior light is a T10 wedge base while the old ED factory lamp was a 42mm festoon bulb...

There really is no wiring for them? Just buy the right base type/style of lamp for the existing holder...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:57 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Im working on some high powered led brake lights based on the led i used in these tail lights. Basically i want them to plug into the standard globe holder and then i will need to put the control box between the tail light and the harness. I used 4 leds each in these tail lights and the output is better than the standard globe they are also good for interior or under bonnet lighting . Leds are about $ 4 a piece and the drivers are 7 or 8 Dollars and then there is the heat sink you need to get rid of the heat cause most leds die at about 50 degrees

Attachments:
brake lights.JPG
brake lights.JPG [ 17.57 KiB | Viewed 181 times ]
37 ford tail light.JPG
37 ford tail light.JPG [ 25.46 KiB | Viewed 176 times ]

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the information Tim

I have an AUII Forte, so I'm not sure if the same connections apply, one would think they would be standard.

As for bootlid, I thought there may have been additional wiring involved.

What would you recommend as being the best type as per brightness.

Dome light is the interior light, it does hold a festoon type of bulb.

Cheers, Peter

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

my671fordv8 wrote:
Im working on some high powered led brake lights based on the led i used in these tail lights.

I'm inquisitive, I might do the same on mine. Would this be suitable for AUII brake lights?

Can you tell me where you get the components you need to do this as I'm not all that familiar with leds.

Thanks

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:34 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The boot light simply replaces your exisiting boot light... No extra wiring... You can replace with the same bulb type in the lamp holder in the boot (ED is a festoon bolb too)... But it still did a crap job... So hence the strip stuck to the top of the boot plugged into the factory wiring...

My favourite... For brightness, illumination angle and longetivity... Are the SMD 5050 type...

Cheers,
Tim

bondy99 wrote:
Thanks for the information Tim

I have an AUII Forte, so I'm not sure if the same connections apply, one would think they would be standard.

As for bootlid, I thought there may have been additional wiring involved.

What would you recommend as being the best type as per brightness.

Dome light is the interior light, it does hold a festoon type of bulb.

Cheers, Peter

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
my671fordv8 wrote:
Im working on some high powered led brake lights based on the led i used in these tail lights.

I'm inquisitive, I might do the same on mine. Would this be suitable for AUII brake lights?

Can you tell me where you get the components you need to do this as I'm not all that familiar with leds.

Thanks

I got the leds from cutter electronics in victoria . Here is a link to the page that i got the leds from.The coloured leds are at the bottom of the page
http://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?c ... ound+MCPCB
As for wether you can use them for brake lights . yes you can but if you dont have a resistor in the line to the led your cruise control wont work . Here is my first set of tail lights i made . most are plug n play 12 volt led sets but the two brake lights above each other are the high powered leds

Attachments:
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG [ 4.21 KiB | Viewed 1217 times ]

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

I'll have to find out if I do have resistors installed as I cannot see them in the immediate surrounds of the taillight connectors.

Thanks

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks[/quote]
I got the leds from cutter electronics in victoria . Here is a link to the page that i got the leds from.The coloured leds are at the bottom of the page
http://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?c ... ound+MCPCB
As for wether you can use them for brake lights . yes you can but if you dont have a resistor in the line to the led your cruise control wont work . Here is my first set of tail lights i made . most are plug n play 12 volt led sets but the two brake lights above each other are the high powered leds[/quote]

G'day

Can you provide me with additional specs as I don't know which ones would be the correct type to get for my AUII.

Cheers, Peter

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next