Fordmods Logo

Loose Cup Holder - Suggestions?? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

fordfreak ef wrote:
underneath where the legs are that hinge on all i did to fix mine (ef fairmont) was to melt part of the legs n melt a lil of the plastic to make a heap more resisitance to stop the cup holder arms falling down n drinks going everywhere... coke/ants and cars dont mix... :lol: cost nothing to modify and now the drink holder works as it should do...was a 15 min job...

hahaha that works sweeet! havnt tested it out with drinks yet...but its a hell of a lot harder to push it down ;)

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

WA, Australia

Heres a 5 cent solution to the cupholder dilemma...Its an extension of 4.9 ef's bulldog clip solution, but a bit cleaner. Ive got tons of these paperclip things on my desk. Works a treat....very sturdy.

Available where all good stationary is stolen! :wink:

Attachments:
Clip close.JPG
Clip close.JPG [ 80.14 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]
Cupholder.JPG
Cupholder.JPG [ 94.78 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]

Thorpy says single wipers are Fully SIK!

EL Futura Dynamic White
Tickford Suspension
K&N Hi flow and XR8 snorkel
DBA Slots and braided lines

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Oh My GOD!!! i know what a problem!

If you don't know i am being sarcastic!!

simple don't go to maccas as often!! don't know why cars have these all the posh import cars and proper sports cars don't have them why cause you got to concentrate on the road.

go to clints and buy the 3.50 plastic thing that sites in the grove of the window.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Toyota Surf, EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

why spend 3.50 on a cup holder from clints, when the cup holder is already in place. i could go to MACCAS and buy a thinkshake and fries for 3.50

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

what do people think of the little actuator idea? any good any idea what would suit and where i could get one

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

spannerhead wrote:
Hey fordfreak....you got any pics of what youve done to the menace cupholder?. Sounds like a good fix that other people could do too!
posting pics is harder than the job itself lol :lol: all u do is melt a little part of the legs underneath with a soldering iron n shape the soft plastic..wait for it to cool n harden in place n voila! "bobs your aunty!!" install back in n marvel at the ease of whhich my can of coke sits in the holder.. even around corners!! :shock: :lol: 8-) :wink:

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

mitch_anderson wrote:
fordfreak ef wrote:
underneath where the legs are that hinge on all i did to fix mine (ef fairmont) was to melt part of the legs n melt a lil of the plastic to make a heap more resisitance to stop the cup holder arms falling down n drinks going everywhere... coke/ants and cars dont mix... :lol: cost nothing to modify and now the drink holder works as it should do...was a 15 min job...

hahaha that works sweeet! havnt tested it out with drinks yet...but its a hell of a lot harder to push it down ;)
easy aye?? :wink: cost nothing to fix...time mayby?? 15mins :lol: hard to believe some one would go out n buy a new cup holder section cos of the inherrant "crapness" of the standars one when it can be moddified to work so much better!!

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:59 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EA II Fairmont Ghia S

SA, Australia

The question of the actuator, i woul say hook up a couple of central locking actuators and attach them to the bottom of the arms. then hook them into a rocker switch. one way up, one way down.

Real cheap if you pull them out of U-pull it or the like, places.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Ok, heres my attempt at solving this problem.

In a nutshell, i've just increased the pressure that the little black locating lugs push against the "cam" on the moving part of the holder.

I did this with two short pull springs and two short bits of wire made of the same metal as the springs (straightened out spring wire)

The only modifications done to the cup holder itself is 2 holes melted into the locating lugs, and 2 holes at the back of the black plastic (see pics)

I don't think I need to go into details, as the pics pretty much explain all. On each side, the wire is attached to the hole melted in the lug (Holder_1.jpg). The other end of the wire has a hook, and is connected to the pull spring, which is hooked around the hole melted in the back of the plastic (Holder_3.jpg).

The end result is a much more positive locking feel, but everything appears the same once assembled.

I've used a pretty strong pair of springs, I had to cut them to the correct length to get the right amount of tension on the lugs. Experiment to get a result you're happy with. Also, don't forget to smear a bit of grease on the lugs and cam to reduce wear.

Attachments:
File comment: Holder_1.jpg
Holder_1.jpg
Holder_1.jpg [ 85.42 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]
File comment: Holder_2.jpg
Holder_2.jpg
Holder_2.jpg [ 72.07 KiB | Viewed 197 times ]
File comment: Holder_3.jpg
Holder_3.jpg
Holder_3.jpg [ 67.84 KiB | Viewed 216 times ]

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:46 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hmmmmm havent had that problem in my EL yet....since i dun allow anyone to drink or eat in the car.......the EA how ever never came with one....disasterous times. but the spring idea was good EBGizmo but i might give the actuator idea a go.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2