Fordmods Logo

Low Coolant Sensor to EL GLi (Please help)... 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Low Coolant Sensor to EL GLi (Please help)...
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 97 Falcon EL GLi

VIC, Australia

Hi,

I'm trying to install the low coolant sensor to my EL and am coming across many problems. I installed a wire to Pin 3 on the RHS cluster connector and attached the wire to the sensor and the other pin of it to ground. When i start the car and open and close the switch by hand as i haven't installed it yet in the surge tank, the low coolant warning light does not come on at all and i have added the blub for it. What should i do? there is a female connector under the surge tank for the sensor but it seems to go no where.

Can somebody please help..... :( :( :(

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Can somebody please help?

I have my dash still pulled apart............

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

you only need to run one wire from the sensor to your cluster, the other one goes to ground, near your surge tank will be fine.

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Happy, thanks for the reply

I did install the wire from the RHS cluster pin three to the positive end of the switch as the tutorials stated. I also grounded the other pin to the body. The lamp did not turn on at all.

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I have also just found out with the multimeter that no voltage is being detected from the dash cluster pin 3. Is there meant to be a 12 Voltage line to become grounded by the switch to light up the blub?

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

6CYL wrote:
I have also just found out with the multimeter that no voltage is being detected from the dash cluster pin 3. Is there meant to be a 12 Voltage line to become grounded by the switch to light up the blub?

not sure why it isn't working. It is a simple mod, bad earth? blown bulb? faulty sensor?

FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:53 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Found the problem. In my EL, the Pin 3 is useless as there is no circuit compared to Pin 3 in EF's which still has the circuit functioning. I have to manually solder on a wire to the light blub to the switch to ensure the functionallity of ground to enable the light blub to glow.

Also, i tryed to install a window washer sensor but it turns out Ford also stop adding the wiring to the speedo (i do have ABS).

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

interesting, you should put something together on how you did it and have Waggin add it to the EL mod section!!

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Stuffed the circuit up and cause a short circuit. Have to experement a bit more to solve the issue. Any one out there who have install a low coolant sensor on a EL Gli?

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Falcon

ACT, Australia

I'm in the process of putting the low coolant sensor in my GLi. (EL).

As far as I can tell, the sensor line is not just a straight switch. It switches some resistors, and the 'switch' line goes to the microprocessor to sense the resistance. According to the manual:

Resistance less than 70 ohm - light flashes at 1Hz. (closed cct)
Resistance 180 ohm - light off (closed switch)
Resistance 1380 ohm -light on (open switch)
Resistance more than 2.5kohm - light flashes at 1Hz (open cct)

So you can test the cluster side of things without the switch - if the cluster is working, the light will flash open cct.

Just checking you have the right pin - it's between the Y-DG wire, and the white wire, and opposite the W-R wire.

I have replaced my cluster with a cop cluster, and I know mine works with that.

Can't seem to get the low washer light on, even by grounding the appropriate pin on the cluster. I'll leave that one, and just go the coolant switch. Haven't sourced one yet but....

Dang.

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hey i added the wire to the cluster and to the switch, added the blub but the light will not turn on with the switch on or off switch. I think my cluster doesn't support it and that the cluster says GLi on the bottom. I added the switch to the cluster, and the other pin to ground and it still didn't work. I will try a resistor on the pin and ground the other end to test.

Thanks for the help Dang :)

Also, is there meant to be a 12V coming from the pin?
In my EL GLi, there is no power output from the pin.
Might have to buy a new cluster :?

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Hiya 6Cyl,

Looking at the manual, the 'activation' on pin 3 is resistance. The cluster block diagram shows a resistor from ignition to pin 3. Looks like the resistance of the switch forms a voltage divider which is sensed by an A/D converter and sent to the microprocessor. So you probably should see 12V on pin 3 with it open circuit and the ignition on pin 11. If you look closely at the cluster cct board, you will probably see a place for a resistor (what value? dont know!). One end will be connected to pin 3, the other will be connected to pin 11 (ignition on). What you could try, is putting some voltages on to pin 3 with a variable resistor. Use about a 1K-100K pot, wire one end to +12V, and the other to GND, and the centre pin to pin 3. If that gets some bulb action happening, you might be able to rig something up. If not, the software is just not there, and you need a new cluster. (If you decide to give up, PM me an offer for your sensor. Although you've probably cut a hole in the overflow tank, haven't you!)

Silly question - the bulb you put in is not blown, is it......

Also, what is the date on your cluster?

Cheers,
Dang.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hi Dang,

The date on my EL GLi cluster is March 1998, which is a bit wierd as the car on the VIN was created in DEC 1997. There is no voltage coming out of PIN 3 and there is no circuit with any other pins in the RHS or LHS connectors. To me this pin seems dead or the circuit was no made on the later GLi models. Would anyone know where i could pick up a cheap EL Fairmont Cluster or ex-chaser cluster in Melb. Dang, i have already cut the hole in the tank so i can't sell this sensor atm lol.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Bah, thought as much. I'll continue my search for the switch.

Real strange. I'm thinking of firing up the old cluster out the beast and checking if that has the cct installed. But don't hold your breath. I'm struggling to find time to fix my central locking at the moment, and that job is becoming urgent.

Cheers,
Dang.

BTW - manual says if low coolant light not working, replace cluster!

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Reindeer

NSW, Australia

they have re-introduced the low window washer fluid in the BA model, damn symbol came up on one of the lcd displays on the cluster and i thought it was radiator problems!! till i red the manual!

Its people like you that make people that kill other people, sleep easier at night.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next