Fordmods Logo

LPG level sender 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: LPG level sender
Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Futura Wagon

QLD, Australia

My LPG level sender that attaches to the LPG tank has failed. I have got another one from the wreckers but when installed it doesn't work. Is there any special method for installing other than just doing up the two screws, or have I been unlucky and gotten a broken one?

cheers
Scott

If it doesn't fit, jam it. If that doesn't work use a hammer. - Engineers Motto

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Grab yourself a magnet and a multimeter. Stick the magnet under the new guage, and test the resistance between the two spade lugs. Rotating the magnet (and consequently the guage needle inside), the resistance should change from roughly 0 - 90 ohms from full to empty.

If that tests ok, the other part that can fail is the float gearing. There's a pair of loosely coupled teeth connected to the float to make the magnet ni the tank rotate. They wear over time and can jam up.

Does the needle on the tank guage go from empty to full when you fill the LPG up?

If it does, the float and gears might be ok, and you most likely have an electrical problem.

On my sender, one lug is earthed, and the other goes to the guage in the dash. Check your earth connection first.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Sweet. Thanks. I'll check it in the morning.

cheers
Scott

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Looks like I had two problems. The sender was reading infinite resistance and the gears may be stuffed.

I replaced the sender with a good one but when I put it in place it either snaps to empty or full depending where the needle was when I plug it in. It doesn't change when I fill or use gas.

Any ideas? Is it just that the gears to the float are stuffed or do you need to install the sender with the needle pointing to where it 'should' be reading.

I guess to fix the float you would need to de-pressurise the system then get it tested for leaks afterwards?

cheers
Scott

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

The sender and matching float are north-south orientated. They should only be able to "mate" in one position. The teeth on my EB's tank were stuffed once. I managed to bend them slightly so that they were touching in a different spot, and it worked faultlessly to this day. You will need to make sure your tank is completely empty before attempting to remove the float. Sometimes the position of your tank, and the float opening, may inhibit its removal.

Can't remember if it was an O'ring or a flat gasket for the seal. Just run your car to empty, then there should be very little gas left. If its still dual fuel, i'd recommend taking it to a place to get it decantered out safely if you've never done it before. You don't wanna mess with the risk of a spark with liquid LPG trickling out everywhere.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yep that did the trick. It is LPG only so I was a bit hesitant in running it down to empty. Guess when it finally stopped? In my driveway! My car must love me.

cheers
Scott

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]