Fordmods Logo

Mid way through dash conversion!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Mid way through dash conversion!!!
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Fairmont Ghia Series 2

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys,

I've hit a brick wall...I'm am mid way through swapping my EF Fairmont Dash to the Fairlane Dash...and noticed that I need to change the 20 pin plug to a 16!!! Does anyone know where I could get one...would Jay Car carry something like this or would I have to through Ford???

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

you wont get one.
unless you cut one from a wreck.

You can actually cut the plug down and relocated the pins to their correct position, therefore using the original plug.

The other plug beside does all the door sensors etc.

I actually made a plug and plug adaptor a while ago, you dould do the same, but it requires a few parts from other clusters etc.

Read this thread too:
http://fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39268

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thank God for experts like you!!!

Would using a file to take the outer 2 pins that are not used work???

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL V8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

and if you plan to get the bulb outage working then follow this diagram.

Attachments:
Bulb outage.JPG
Bulb outage.JPG [ 79.69 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]

can't aFORD lately

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I'm not too concerned about the bulm out warning...just concerned about filling off the first 4 unused connectors on the orginal Fairmont 20 Pin plug, if this will work as a 16 pin. Any ideas???

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Use a sharp stanley knife blade and cut off two pins each end - use a small hammer and tap the blade through.
This way you'll have a 16 pin plug, and the keyways will match up.

You can use a power window plug for the bulb out - either a door one, or one off the 2 switch console setup.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:48 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Just wanted to thank you guys for the info...all in, all working...looks classy!!!

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Did someone sort out the problem with the bulb outage wiring causing problems with trailer plug on non Fairlane/LTD?

If someone has rectified this, can we get some details to amend and complete this document http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=73

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:04 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL V8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

Macca wrote:
Did someone sort out the problem with the bulb outage wiring causing problems with trailer plug on non Fairlane/LTD?

If someone has rectified this, can we get some details to amend and complete this document http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=73

yes, I have sorted this out. unfortunately i missed to take photos when i rewired/re-route the brake light wire. This is where the problem is. I will take photos and will send un update. Just to give you an idea, have a read on the diagram i posted above.

can't aFORD lately

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Adding a dimming resistor for low/mid series BEMS:

The resistor is of the same specs as discussed in
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=14 , 47 ohm 1watt, use this doco for the pin out information as well. You can experiment with the resistance to get the dimming you desire.
The good news here is that you dont need to dismantle the instrument cluster to insert the resistor.
1. Remove the dash surround, and access the RH (right hand) 20 pin cluster plug.
2. Locate pin 19 which is the earth (black wire) & check continuity between it and earth to confirm.
3. Locate pin 16 which is black/white (-ve LCD illumination).
4. Strip a small section of these two wires, and solder the resistor across them, do not cut the wires.
5. Suitably insulate the solder connections.
6. Insert the plug into the cluster.
7. Test, and if all okay,
8. Reinstall the dash surround.

Bulb out issues:
With lights on, apply brakes, 'BULB OUT' comes on. The bulb out gets a bit confused when the mod discussed in the doco's http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=7 "Adding extra brake lighting" has been added. This mod needs to be removed. Daylight operation is unaffected.

F/lanes, LTD's have the supply for the brakelights/parkers wired before the bulb out inline circuit. For other vehicles, you can wire in a relay for brakelights and another for parkers in the trailer loom. Typical wiring for a 4 pin relay:
pin 86: spliced into brakelight/parker line
pin 85: earth
pin 30: constant 12v, e.g. from door lock line, etc.
pin 87: trailer brakelight/parker line

The factory F/lane/LTD setup doesn't monitor the number plate lights - modding a GLI/Futura/Fairmont/Ghia will, however the feature will work as per normal.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Adding a dimming resistor for low/mid series BEMS:

The resistor is of the same specs as discussed in
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=14 , 47 ohm 1watt, use this doco for the pin out information as well. You can experiment with the resistance to get the dimming you desire.
The good news here is that you dont need to dismantle the instrument cluster to insert the resistor.
1. Remove the dash surround, and access the RH (right hand) 20 pin cluster plug.
2. Locate pin 19 which is the earth (black wire) & check continuity between it and earth to confirm.
3. Locate pin 16 which is black/white (-ve LCD illumination).
4. Strip a small section of these two wires, and solder the resistor across them, do not cut the wires.
5. Suitably insulate the solder connections.
6. Insert the plug into the cluster.
7. Test, and if all okay,
8. Reinstall the dash surround.

Bulb out issues:
With lights on, apply brakes, 'BULB OUT' comes on. The bulb out gets a bit confused when the mod discussed in the doco's http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=7 "Adding extra brake lighting" has been added. This mod needs to be removed. Daylight operation is unaffected.

F/lanes, LTD's have the supply for the brakelights/parkers wired before the bulb out inline circuit. For other vehicles, you can wire in a relay for brakelights and another for parkers in the trailer loom. Typical wiring for a 4 pin relay:
pin 86: spliced into brakelight/parker line
pin 85: earth
pin 30: constant 12v, e.g. from door lock line, etc.
pin 87: trailer brakelight/parker line

The factory F/lane/LTD setup doesn't monitor the number plate lights - modding a GLI/Futura/Fairmont/Ghia will, however the feature will work as per normal.

If LED stop/tail and numberplate bulbs etc were fitted would the "bulb out" function work correctly due to the incorrect resistance no matter what you did, defeating the purpose of hooking it up in the first place?

My intentions is to have every bulb replaced by either a LED or HID except for the H3 bulbs, I have a NF cluster to go in, just been to slack to modify and fit it.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]