Fordmods Logo

NA->NC Door trims and central locking switch. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: NA->NC Door trims and central locking switch.
Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Fargun, when I first attempted the rivet removal I used a flathead screwdriver and hammer to "cut" them off.....messy...
I learned the tap out the centre trick when I was at the wreckers in Alice springs, press easy with the drill so it won't bite in and just spin the rivet too.

Haha, oh, I cant remember what movie it was off but my mate would always say somthin like that, "yes, you know, Carny folk, small fingers....smell like cabbage..." when tight spaces were an issue (he had a hyundai sportwagon, nuff sed)

I love a face full of WD, specially when a little frustrated and you get the button crooked and your heads half in the door to see where it's gonna spray, and BOOM! straight in the eye!
But yes, the best part about it all is the impressed look on peoples faces when you tell them "I did it all myself"

I gotta do me a fully sik subwoofaa setup soon too....
It'll be good to see some pics of another NA.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: NA Fairlane

VIC, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:
Fargun, when I first attempted the rivet removal I used a flathead screwdriver and hammer to "cut" them off.....messy...
I learned the tap out the centre trick when I was at the wreckers in Alice springs, press easy with the drill so it won't bite in and just spin the rivet too.

Yeah that is what I tried to do.. the old hammer and the screwdriver trick.. broke the screwdriver and unfortunately the rivet remaine..

Was going to try to drill it today but the weather is depressing.. maybe tomorrow :)
Quote:
Haha, oh, I cant remember what movie it was off but my mate would always say somthin like that, "yes, you know, Carny folk, small fingers....smell like cabbage..." when tight spaces were an issue (he had a hyundai sportwagon, nuff sed)

Think it was the Simpsons wasn't it? I vaguely remember there being an episode about carneys - but maybe not cabbage.. haha

Quote:
I love a face full of WD, specially when a little frustrated and you get the button crooked and your heads half in the door to see where it's gonna spray, and BOOM! straight in the eye!
But yes, the best part about it all is the impressed look on peoples faces when you tell them "I did it all myself"

ahah.. yeah.. I haven't read the back of the can but I hope it isn't too toxic.. I practically eat the stuff.. :)
Quote:
I gotta do me a fully sik subwoofaa setup soon too....
It'll be good to see some pics of another NA.

Yeah the sub sort of improves the sound a bit.. or a lot.. the pov 6" holes in the back and the tiny 4" in the front were not really made for premium sound - you know the type that feels like an earthquake has hit.

I will try to find some pics tonight - but i want to do a build thread on here as I progress. so i might post one as a sneak preview (not that it is anthing outstanding - just an NA fairlane...)

me b**ch: http://www.fordmods.com/post1184566.html#p1184566
NA Fairlane - performs great burnouts in wet weather...

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

I think it was one of those pommy gangsta funny as farg movies.. lock, stock 2 smokin barrels, or snatch, one of those anyway

weather was ok here today, I got under the hood to find an oil leak source...lucky I did, I found my bottom alternator bolt hanging out! Cleaned up some wiring as well so I got a fix, reading this forum really gets me wanting to tinker.

It is a bit of a retrofit to get 6es in the front door, big holes in the trims, but with the spacer rings should fit Oh-Tay!

Also in the garage....

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:50 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:

weather was ok here today, I got under the hood to find an oil leak source...lucky I did, I found my bottom alternator bolt hanging out! Cleaned up some wiring as well so I got a fix, reading this forum really gets me wanting to tinker.

It is a bit of a retrofit to get 6es in the front door, big holes in the trims, but with the spacer rings should fit Oh-Tay!

Yeah we must be twins or something - I have a leak in the front.. Think it is coming from the bolt that holds on the water pump/timing cover? - who knows, these engines are pretty leaky.. Good find though, re alternator bolt.. haha.. wouldn't have been too good losing the alternator on the highway.. (or at least the belt)

yeah I thought about putting some spacers in, etc - but I prefer flush and clean.. I will just put up with the 4" splits at the moment and crank the bass from the boot :) - (might look like i have 6es in the front as I have the NC trims with the larger grilles)

I checked out your gallery - very unique looking car you have there, will look great when you get the paint done in the two tone.

Less unique, but an NA Fairlane all the same; here she/it is:

http://www.fordmods.com/gallery.php?uid=42200&mid=-1

http://www.fordmods.com/post1184566.html#p1184566

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

That's neat mate, I'll put this post here so I don't fill ur main one with crap lol.

Hahaha, those are some sick burnouts. Your car can be fully sick even jus sitting there.

With mine I have 6es in the front but it dosnt look out of place too much, the edge of the covers sit just over the edge of the hole in the trim and it sits between the dash ok with the door closed.

I have 8s in the back shelf, just made a wooden plate to sit between the metal shelf and the underlay/carpet, cut the hole a bit bigger and the carpet covers it all quite nicely.

I like the LTD grille too, mine was a bit of a mystery when I first got it, it has fairlane on the compliance plates, but it has LTD in the rear taillights and had a LTD grille like yours, and the LTD thing on the bonnet (like Mercedes and that).

My guess is someone put those parts on but apparrently I am 3rd owner and the first was a old bloke (bought it new) and the guy I swapped it for said his dad never touched it so, that's just another one of lifes mysteries.

But I prefer it lookin like them Lincoln Type Design cars lol. My mates loved that.

It is a nice looking specimin though, I do like the silver colour, makes it neat.

Can't wait to see more done man!

Also in the garage....

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:
That's neat mate, I'll put this post here so I don't fill ur main one with crap lol.

Hahaha, those are some sick burnouts. Your car can be fully sick even jus sitting there.

Thanks mate - yeah not bad condition for its age. It still goes well, and without many issues. Comfortable cars.. Only wish I could sit in the back seat for a change and get driven aroun - lot of legroom, looks comfortable.

Thanks for the sick burnout comments - yeah my car is a sleeper.

Quote:
With mine I have 6es in the front but it dosnt look out of place too much, the edge of the covers sit just over the edge of the hole in the trim and it sits between the dash ok with the door closed.

I have 8s in the back shelf, just made a wooden plate to sit between the metal shelf and the underlay/carpet, cut the hole a bit bigger and the carpet covers it all quite nicely.

That front door hole looks really small though.... 6" in it with spacers? And you get the door closed? You need to put pics up so we can check how it is done..! I tried to put bigger in the parcel shelf with a spacer but the magnets were too big - since then I resigned myself to having s**t speakers in the bak but some bass to compensate.. Post some pics of your work when you time.
Quote:
I like the LTD grille too, mine was a bit of a mystery when I first got it, it has fairlane on the compliance plates, but it has LTD in the rear taillights and had a LTD grille like yours, and the LTD thing on the bonnet (like Mercedes and that).

Yeah everyone changed the NA grilles - especially when they first came out and were colour coded (looked crap) - yeah the LTD thing looks pretty good - want to get the chrome strip for the top at some stage, but can't be bothered drilling the panel atm. I will get around to it.

You have something unique with yours - I think with the paint it will look pretty good.. when are you going to do it?

Quote:
My guess is someone put those parts on but apparrently I am 3rd owner and the first was a old bloke (bought it new) and the guy I swapped it for said his dad never touched it so, that's just another one of lifes mysteries.

But I prefer it lookin like them Lincoln Type Design cars lol. My mates loved that.

Maybe it came like that from factory?? I doubt it but it is possible that they asked for the LTD grille - but the rear badge is a bit of a mystery; I doubt Ford would rebadge a car..!

They look good - the NA/NC Fairlane grilles are really boring - sort of wreck the look of the car in my opinion.
Quote:
It is a nice looking specimin though, I do like the silver colour, makes it neat.

Can't wait to see more done man!

Thanks mate- yeah hopefully I will get some work done on it soon - you know like fixing oil leaks, and chaging the door lock mechanisms - nothing too sporty :)

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Hey there.

Yea I reckon the NA/NCs do make good sleepers. There's another nice one by Huggiebear an NC series 2 I think.
Have you seen that one? Try searching you should find it. Nice green one he's turboing it too.

Yeah I'll take some pics of the speaker setup when I do a detail on the weekend, I'll drip it down to show I'm behind too, I reused the same black plastic boxes in behind but had to cut a bit too.
I'll show the rears too.

It is a pity the original holes are so small, but there's a lot of room to play.

Mine had the full grille and chrome over the top too. All got broken in the accident though. Spewin nothing could be saved cos those small bits can come in handy.
I reckon it may have been all put on from factory, the bolts on the rear garnish look untouched.
The fairlane grilles do look a little too chunky to me, I like the LTD fin style.

Yeah post pics of the work you do too, it all adds to a big encyclopedia on here, as we found out about our door mechs. It's those obscure little details that all help with overall jobs.
I want to do my body work soon, I've been thinking about bogging and fixing small dents and painting the lower half black or dark grey and touch up the top half white till I can afford the blue like in the drawing on my thread.
I also want to get hold of a EF or EL to get the BBM conversion parts and swap the door trims, might see what else I can fit in too. Just have to find a car, even one with a seized engine or somthing but it's a bit hard bein new to the area.

Well see how it all goes though, might get lucky.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EAII Ghia & AUII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

When I put the ED doortrims on the EA, I didn't even change the rods. I found the ED square buttons do fit on the metal EA rods. They're a bit more loose than with the ED rods, but they still work as intended and I haven't had any issues with them.

1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia
Platinum Silver - 5 speed

EL engine, BBM, SVO wheels, Sprint kit, Scorcher front bar, XR lip, EF handles, mirrors & fuel flap, 2.5" exhaust, pacemaker extractors and high flow cat, serpentine conversion, AU rocker cover, heaps more

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

By the sounds of it all then NCs must have the different door design with the L bracket in a different spot.
mine is an EA equiv fairlane and my rear rods lined up, coming to think of it I didn't use the square lock knobs because I only had 2 unbroken.

Do yours sit right down flush with the trim or up a little bit?

Also in the garage....

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:25 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EAII Ghia & AUII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:
By the sounds of it all then NCs must have the different door design with the L bracket in a different spot.
mine is an EA equiv fairlane and my rear rods lined up, coming to think of it I didn't use the square lock knobs because I only had 2 unbroken.

Do yours sit right down flush with the trim or up a little bit?

They're pretty much flush, maybe a mm or 2 up but nothing major. I was originally going to change over the rods as well but saw 30th anniversary EA onwards had the rear ones mounted at the different spot. The EA rods still lined up great.

1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia
Platinum Silver - 5 speed

EL engine, BBM, SVO wheels, Sprint kit, Scorcher front bar, XR lip, EF handles, mirrors & fuel flap, 2.5" exhaust, pacemaker extractors and high flow cat, serpentine conversion, AU rocker cover, heaps more

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2