Fordmods Logo

new dash.... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: new dash....
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5lt Turbo NC, TE V6 Gemini

VIC, Australia

My dash cracked! Anyhoo, i wanna replace it, is it a big job? On a scale of 1 - 10....how hard is it? NC Fairlane

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:48 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Dash or cluster?

Dash is easy a simple swap job.

Cluster is a little harder but still easy.

Just find a new one and replace it.

Try xr8dismantler he might help you out.

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Nice looking NC youve got there. I have an EB falcon and have a massive split down the centre that i discovered after pulling the original dash mat off. It was glued down with something like liquid nails. So i just replaced the half mat with a full dash mat and left it at that.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

i had to replace the fusebox surround on my old NA and that was a big job. It would be big on your NC as well. You have to take out the whole dashboard assembly, possibly the centre console as well, remove all the electrical components in your old dash, transfer each one into your new dashboard, and refit it to your car, make sure you re-match each wire correctly. I had all wires matching except two - this resulting in the interior lights staying on and I had no cruise control!!

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Well i almost had my dash out today, but didnt quite get it. Lucky, as i didnt end up needing to to get my reirc box thingo out. To swap it, youd neet to remove the centre console, the glovebox, the glovebox surrounf, the steering column (just drop it to the floor) the radio wires, the handbrake surround, the cluster and everything around it ( I think) and then remove the dash. And after thats all done, you need to remove everything from the dash, and screw everything back into the new dash. If it was me, id chose not to, and just try and cover it with a dash mat or something. So far ive fixed my recirc lever, and have it all good there, but ive still got to get that back in, everything wired back up how it should be, and then try and get it started. Try might be the opewrative word as well. As far as I know, everything has been reconnected, and the motor still wont start. Wont even turn over. The only thing that wasnt put back in, and is probably the cause, is the earth cable up the top of the dash. However, if i stick that back in and its still no go, i aint gonna be happy.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

i reckon replace the whole dash, it would look more respectable if there are no cracks in it. It may take some time to fix the crack in the dash, but at the same time you can eliminate any little rattles in the dash, and feel proud of a job you did by yourself.

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]