Fordmods Logo

NF Fairlane (High Series) Cluster change over HELP!!!!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: NF Fairlane (High Series) Cluster change over HELP!!!!!!
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:46 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hello again everyone...
I just went through the heartache of putting the high NF series cluster into my ef 95 falcon today and followed the instructions on the topic of Falcon/Fairmont/Fairlane - EF/EL - Changing Instruments Document Description down to a T....
The problem was and is that Adding the LCD Dimming Resistor did not work as described... the reason being there was nowhere to put the resistor as stated in the instructions... I had a look around in the forums but couldnt find any pictures of my type of cluster to solder the resistor... Oh and it still cuts out when I turn the parkers or light to on position when it was in... I also pulled apart my original low series cluster and it had the resistor in there and looked exactly the same as Xyphoid Doc for high series... Can anyone help on this matter because Xyphoid's doc is useless for me...
Thankyou in advance :D

Here are some pics to give you an idea on what I mean in comparison

Attachments:
File comment: Picture of where it is on his document written by Xyphoid... See what I mean!!!!
points for the resistor, no points to solder on mine

HighResistor.jpg
HighResistor.jpg [ 8.54 KiB | Viewed 1019 times ]
File comment: Picture of the area where the resistor is supposed to be soldered onto, but not like Document written by Xyphoid !!!!!???? It doesnt even look the same and yes it is the right side LOL
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG [ 373.63 KiB | Viewed 185 times ]
File comment: Picture of cluster pulled apart at back for reference
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG [ 329.76 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

Love getting ripped off by fellow Ford Modders... 4 to date so far since 2005!!!!
Please do it more!!!!

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:47 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

OH and sorry it is a GLI

Love getting ripped off by fellow Ford Modders... 4 to date so far since 2005!!!!
Please do it more!!!!

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:50 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Extra photo of front cluster for reference

Attachments:
File comment: extra photo of front
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG [ 380.44 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]

Please do it more!!!!

Post subject: Re: NF Fairlane (High Series) Cluster change over HELP!!!!!!
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

dazzat wrote:
Hello again everyone...
I just went through the heartache of putting the high NF series cluster into my ef 95 falcon today and followed the instructions on the topic of Falcon/Fairmont/Fairlane - EF/EL - Changing Instruments Document Description down to a T....
The problem was and is that Adding the LCD Dimming Resistor did not work as described... the reason being there was nowhere to put the resistor as stated in the instructions... I had a look around in the forums but couldnt find any pictures of my type of cluster to solder the resistor... Oh and it still cuts out when I turn the parkers or light to on position when it was in... I also pulled apart my original low series cluster and it had the resistor in there and looked exactly the same as Xyphoid Doc for high series... Can anyone help on this matter because Xyphoid's doc is useless for me...
Thankyou in advance :D

Here are some pics to give you an idea on what I mean in comparison
The picture you have is for the mid series cluster. There are no pads to solder the resistor to on the high series, you will need to scrap the solder mask from the tracks and solder the resistor to these tracks.
You can use you old cluster to determine which tracks need to be connected to the resistor.
Cheers
TW.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:10 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey twason,
If you look closly at the tracks as you call it, they are completly different to the doco photos by Xyphoid... thats why i took the pictures for comparison... there is nothing in that area for me to solder, compare the 2 pics and you will notice there are some msjor differences
Cheers

Please do it more!!!!

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dazzat wrote:
Hey twason,
If you look closly at the tracks as you call it, they are completly different to the doco photos by Xyphoid... thats why i took the pictures for comparison... there is nothing in that area for me to solder, compare the 2 pics and you will notice there are some msjor differences
Cheers
As I said the doco shows the mid series cluster not the High series one. There is no position on the high series cluster for the dimming resistor, you need to solder it to the tracks. The tracks you need to solder to are the one that runs to the LCD backlight bulb and the other runs to the dimming pin on the plug. You will need to trace the tracks back from thereand find a suitable place to mount the resistor.
Cheers
TW.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:00 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanx heaps for that.... going to be hard to find dimming pin on the plug... left, right plug.... not sure which pin

Please do it more!!!!

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dazzat wrote:
Thanx heaps for that.... going to be hard to find dimming pin on the plug... left, right plug.... not sure which pin
Pull your original cluster down and trace the tracks back from the known mounting point to the pin one way, and the light the other. Once you know the side of the lamp and the pin with the new cluster follow the same tracks back from the pin and the lamp until you can bridge the two with the resistor, it will be in the same general area as the mid/low series mounting position.
Cheers
TW.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:46 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks again Twason

It makes sense what you are saying, but Im not the technical type minded person, pictures always help me when I'm lost on electrical components, like what Xyphoid has done which made alot of sense for that type of cluster... I wont be holding my breath for pics from anyone, if it hasnt been done already it wont be on here anytime soon so I will try your method as best as possibe hopefully without a F*$%up :? :shock:

Cheers

Please do it more!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]