Fordmods Logo

Painting Dash Spears 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Painting Dash Spears
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR6 Falcon

QLD, Australia

Hey all, your advice has been so useful before thought id ask before i go and waste a bit of money...

I recently had purple stripes put down my white BA XR6 (To match the BF FPV cobra - but mines in purple for something different :P) anyway i want to do something to the interior to match the outside.

Firstly i want to remove all of the silver trim bits and redo them satin white, to go with the satin black throughout the rest of the car - starting with the dash spears and housing for the t-bar (dont know what its called :oops:)

What would i need to do to paint them? Im assuming they come off easily enough, and i've read i need some metho to prepare the surface but then what? what brands should i be looking to and what products?

Also id like to know how to actually remove that silver plate around the T-bar without doing some serious damage. Heres a picture so you can see the part i mean - hopefully

Post subject: Re: Painting Dash Spears
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

after trying to get the dash spears off tonight and nearly snapping one im going to need advice on how to get them off too. It seems to just pop off everywhere except around the vent on the left (passengers side) where it seems to be bolted or glued down. Any help please? :)

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

The side dash spears pop in .... you need to lever the side plates off the ends off your dash (screwdriver and cloth with do it) ... you will see where the tab locks into the side of the dash .... that's where it feels like it is going to snap.

The rest should just pop out.

As for the silver shifter plate ... the 4-speed versions is a console out job unfortunately ... sorry for the bad news ... I have done one in my Territory ... and will be doing my BF ute soon as well.

The fun part is unhooking the handbrake from the console ... some say you need to remove the driver's seat ... but i found there is no need .... just perservance ... and a bit of swearing.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Ahh id feared that. Well a little thread i found written by vertg0 said that you neednt remove the handbrake if you use a little wiggling, got a couple of mates lined up to give us a hand next weekend. Thanks heaps :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]