Fordmods Logo

Power Window Maintenance 

Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

WA, Australia

my dad had that carbon problem on his AU xr8 back in the day ugly thing it was lol but it did look mean in black.

anyway guys im pretty sure u get problems with ur power windows after ti rains coz all the dust in there gets moisture in it and then it hardens.

ive heard stories of cars that have been sittin up north like northern territory way and get all dust in them and then when the rain comes everything ceases up

84 XF Falcon S Pak, 250 crossflow (rebuilt ~5000km ago, carby model), Bored out 30 thou, Crow racing cam, extractors, yokohama 245's all the way round, chrome 12 slotters, lowered, 4spd man, open wheeler (blew my lsd...), Thumping sound system, L.E.D's everywhere

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 95 EFII Futura Wagon

NSW, Australia

I had an AU that jammed the window so badly when I wound it up fast (coming out of the Harbour Tunnel with my window half down into torrential rain) that the window came off the regulator when I tried to get it free.

I took it to Ford who admitted it was a common fault to do with the rubber used for the runners. They replaced all the runners and the windows never stuck again... :o

FWIW my EF jams like buggery if I don't used EZY Glide. :x

"My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef fairmont,

QLD, Australia

with the e_series falcons there way a special lubricant made to stop the windows from jaming and tilting forwards when sticking its all because of a build up of muck in the guides go to your local ford dealer and ask about this stuff but were protective gloves as it is cancerous if got on bear skin

95 ef montfor sale pm for info, 88 hilux mud truck

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

horis wrote:
with the e_series falcons there way a special lubricant made to stop the windows from jaming and tilting forwards when sticking its all because of a build up of muck in the guides go to your local ford dealer and ask about this stuff but were protective gloves as it is cancerous if got on bear skin

In that case don't let a BEAR near your windows :D :D :roll:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

1+½ yr old post!

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU 1 Wagon

QLD, Australia

MY AU series one Drivers side power window TAKES FOREVER to wind back up, it is fast to wind down, but it sounds like its labouring to get back up and is very very slow, should I get the rubber replaced or spray somthing in the rubbers,,,, or will that screw everything up??

its an ex cab so its pretty used.... but still works.....takes a few minutes tho.

AU serries 1 Wagon project.

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:57 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Also if the window wants to fall forward because of wear and tear or just badly adjusted you should firstly clean and lube the runners and slides as above threads explain and then put the window all the way up and re-adjust the whole regulator mechansim buy loosening all six bolts that hold it. Then push the bottom section of the mech towards the front of the door and the top section to the back and while holding re-tighten.....This should allow the weight of the glass to balance even on the holder it sits in and will hopefully fix/improve most.....But sometimes they're just too worn!

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:18 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 97 EL Fairmont

SA, Australia

If any one is interested in the genuine ford window lubricant it's called LY70 and it's available from dealers.

Post subject: power windows
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:28 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hey, I am about to install a full set of power windows into my GL wagon. Would anbody have or know where I can get the wiring diagrams for this job? Also any hints and tips would be very much appreciated (positive ones. Not things like - Don't do it)

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

EA GL? ED GL? what model/year is it?

Member Number 8804

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

I find that "Nulon Ezy-Glide" is pretty good
for the window rubbers.
I spray mine about once every 6 weeks or so.
Bout $16 for a big spray can.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Sorry, I forgot to say EF. I have found a full set of (supposedly) every thing I need in a EF (Futura) sedan and have yet to pull it all out to put into my wagon.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:21 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: NA,AU XR6,ZH,P6 LTD,EXPLORER

SA, Australia

i have found most liquid lubes end up like glue when they dry out making your windows slower than when you started.i also tried dishwashing detergent which works great but not for long.i found the best thing to use is graphite powder as it does not dry out and turn into glue

MAYBE YOU WOULD RATHER PUSH YOUR HOLDEN THAN DRIVE MY FORD AND YOU WILL PROBLY NEED TO.
H.O.L.D.E.N
HOPE
OUR
LUCK
DOESN'T
END
NOW

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EFII Fairmont & F6 Typhoon

WA, Australia

did mine yesterday used a lube called drylube silicone based stuff no liquid viscocity yet lubricates just as well as graphite powder but somehow hangs around a lil longer great stuff get it from joints like autobahn auto-one repco super cheap all those auto mobs... give it a shot.. as for rubbers a good dose of silicon spray is always good....

Post subject: My 20c worth (Plus GST)
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:32 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF XR6, SX AWD Ghia (slurp)

VIC, Australia

Hey guys - been too long, my account got deleted.... :oops:

FWIW.......

For the window rubbers I was advised by a used car dealer to use WD-40 or CRC-556 - they reckon it lasts a lot longer than the silicone spray...
It worked on my old VH Crummy for about a year before I had to re-do it...

I get the silicone crap for free (Mold release spray).... :)

I use it under the bonnet (rubber hoses look MAD) and on the tyres if I run out of "So-Easy".... (So-Easy still works better - but it ain't cheap)

Silly spray turns too tacky for window rubbers - add a bit of dust and crap and you end up with valve grinding paste....

I did see pure silicone oil once (It was for a photocopier?) the most slippery substance I have ever seen or heard about!!!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next