Fordmods Logo

Power Windows, useful tip. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Power Windows, useful tip.
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
tiny56 wrote:
ok im getting you - i also had this problem on my ea ghia and i reconditioned the switches by removing and disassembling the switches and thoughly cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol and then cleaned each contact face with a micro scrub strip (dont use emery or sand paper or you will remove the silver coating) and then reassemble with electrical contact grease -replace any broken springs and/or stretch them a little to give more tension -comes up better than brand new

if you cant find a micro scrub strip i have cleaned contacts before using an eraser

Where do you get the micro scrub strip from?

d**k Smiths or Jaycar Electronics?
Cheers

I cant remember but definately not d**k smiths or jaycar, i will have to search through some old records as i have not purchased any for quite a few years - i brought 50 or so 10 years ago and they last quite a while - it was from a company in victoria or nsw i think

i used to service/repair complex machinery in the printing industry and they were brilliant for cleaning contactor and switch contacts - it would remove all the carbon and polish them back to brand new without damaging the silver coating of the contact face - its essential to have clean resistance free contacts when using on low voltage applications and use a quality lubrication grease designed for electrical switches on reassembly

its a strip of grey double sided velcro type material 10mm wide by approx 170mm long and about 3mm thick

Post subject: Re: Power Windows, useful tip.
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

No worries, i'll do some checking.

With those tips, I'll have to peruse a few things in the shed. I was going to try shaping some knitting needles , they are a hard plastic , might do the job as opposed to nails, worth a try. The springs would need to be in better condition.

Might purchase two Bic retractable pens and use those springs and see how it goes.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2