Fordmods Logo

Power Windows, useful tip. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Power Windows, useful tip.
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I've been having all manner of issues with my power windows speed...

Slow as hell no matter what I did... I thought it was the drives motor (worst offender) and I bought a new motor.

Before it arrived though, I determined that the drives side switch was d1cky.. so I took it apart.

Instead of the usual contact cleaning thing.. (which I did as well) but this time I pulled the two springs out of the inside of the actual switch. (the cover piece with the up and down markings on them) and I super glued the little bullet shaped bits that push the contacts onto the springs, then I stretched the springs so that only about half a mm of the bullet thing was still in the spring hole.. (I super glued it because you'll never get the switch back together after stretching the spring unless you do) Then I put it all together again and my power windows speed has doubled...

Seems that through wear and age the contacts were not being pushed closed as hard as they were as new.. doing this has allowed more current to flow and the windows are much better as a result.

I would add that the ED switch I was temporarily using had copper bullet shaped things that had actually worn rounded on the end.. I swapped in the black ones from a broken EL one and it went like new... The black EF/EL ones don't seem to wear down like the copper EA-ED ones which is presumably why Ford changed them.

Thought it might benefit someone trying to get their power windows to work faster.

cheers

Frank

Post subject: Re: Power Windows, useful tip.
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Good tip.

I've seen roofing nail tips used instead of those brown plastic tips - suffice to say, they wear nice grooves into the leaf contacts.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

not a bad idea I guess... as long as you rounded the tip a bit.. would allow you to make the tip 3 or 4 mm longer to increase the spring pressure.

Another option would be to take the spring out of the hole and put something in the hole to space the spring out a bit.. then you don't have to stretch the spring..

I suppose the best solution would be to put a bank of high current relays in, so the actual switches are only flowing enough current to trip the relay and the relay handles the current... this is good enough for now though.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
not a bad idea I guess... as long as you rounded the tip a bit.. would allow you to make the tip 3 or 4 mm longer to increase the spring pressure.
Stick with the plastic - metal to metal isn't good for long term.
frankieh wrote:
I suppose the best solution would be to put a bank of high current relays in, so the actual switches are only flowing enough current to trip the relay and the relay handles the current...
2 x DPDT and a SPST for each front window works well - used this setup for a few years now.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
frankieh wrote:
Stick with the plastic - metal to metal isn't good for long term.
frankieh wrote:
I suppose the best solution would be to put a bank of high current relays in, so the actual switches are only flowing enough current to trip the relay and the relay handles the current...
2 x DPDT and a SPST for each front window works well - used this setup for a few years now.

Interesting that I've never thought of this before, but the auto up and auto down function would not work properly if you swapped to relays... assuming it works via the increased current flow at the bottom or top of the window triggering the release and I believe that is how it works.... the lack of current flowing though the release soloniod would stop it from releasing at the top and bottom of the window run wouldn't it?

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Most likely - it never worked properly before I ran relays, so didn't really bother with it.
The autowinders I setup bypass the relays, so they still go on to the next window once the current one is fully up.
From memory the motors do have a thermal cut out inside.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

just a thought if you have not tried this- spray the window channels with some silicon spray

it fixed my slow window speed :mrgreen:

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

thanks.. yes.. I have done that many times.

There are two sides to this.

1. How hard is the window motor working.
2. How much current can flow though the switch with old springs/low pressure and dirty terminals.

Fix both and I imagine your windows will be greased lightning.

I did get a speed improvment from silicon spray.. it just wasn't as signicant a difference as fixing the switches made.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

ok im getting you - i also had this problem on my ea ghia and i reconditioned the switches by removing and disassembling the switches and thoughly cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol and then cleaned each contact face with a micro scrub strip (dont use emery or sand paper or you will remove the silver coating) and then reassemble with electrical contact grease -replace any broken springs and/or stretch them a little to give more tension -comes up better than brand new

if you cant find a micro scrub strip i have cleaned contacts before using an eraser

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I've been idly wondering if the much stiffer cut spring from a ball point pen would do a better job..

The only window in my car that I did this too was my drivers side as it was by far the slowest.

since then.. despite the nulon on all of them.. the drivers is by far the fastest one.

annoyed because I bought a brand new window motor and don't need it.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

Maybe that's what my problem is. I can get the window to go down but cand get the window to go up on the drivers side.

The only way for me to get that window to go up is to switch the drivers side harness to the passenger side switch and up the window comes.

I placed a post on this forum, 47 people read it but no one answered. Is the problem I am experiencing is the switch or something else?

Thanks, Peter

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Easy enough to test... take that windows rocker switch out and look at it.. if one of the tips is damaged or the spring is weak it can do that,,, it is exactly what happened to mine.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hello Frankieh,

Thanks, I think those plastics have worn out, not sure on the springs though.

What did you use to replace those plastic tips? I believe one of my plastic tips is worn a fair bit.

I placed the whole switch and contacts in a jar with white vinegar. Don't know if this will clean the metal or not as I don't have anything on hand that can clean metal components, especially small brushes to get to the surface tips.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

tiny56 wrote:
ok im getting you - i also had this problem on my ea ghia and i reconditioned the switches by removing and disassembling the switches and thoughly cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol and then cleaned each contact face with a micro scrub strip (dont use emery or sand paper or you will remove the silver coating) and then reassemble with electrical contact grease -replace any broken springs and/or stretch them a little to give more tension -comes up better than brand new

if you cant find a micro scrub strip i have cleaned contacts before using an eraser

Where do you get the micro scrub strip from?

d**k Smiths or Jaycar Electronics?
Cheers

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I had a spare one that I butchered for parts...

The copper tips of the EA-ED ones are much worse than the plastic ones in the EF/EL unit.. several of the copper ones have actually collapsed on me in the past.

I've not sure what you would use to replace them.. someone on here said people have used the tips of nails in the past.... anything hard and heat resistant that is the required shape will do.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next