Problem with front passenger power window 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Problem with front passenger power window
Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

Hello,

I have encountered a problem which I thought I had rectified but apparently not.

For the past week I have been experiencing problems with the front passenger power window when pressing the up button on the dual window switch on the driver's door. The window will lower but not raise.

I can raise the window using the front passenger's side button but fails to work on the drivers side.

Remedy, replace the dual switch with a brand new one...everything works well again until two days ago. Having problems trying to raise window again from drivers side switch.

Has anyone else experience this and how was it fixed?

If not, can someone provide me with what might be the probable cause?

Thanks.

Bondy99

Post subject: Re: Problem with front passenger power window
Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 58 images

Ride: 2009 ve ss manual L98

SA, Australia

I had the same problem in my ef I took my switches apart and clean them seem to work maybe change the passenger side switch?........

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

@123esproc,

Passenger window switch on passenger side door works perfectly.

Yep, have done that and also replaced it with a brand new switch.

It's the the master switch on the driver's side that's playing up. Damn thing is brand new out the box , worked great without problems until last couple of days .

I did notice the passenger window at times did struggle a bit. I'm wondering whether it might be the window motor (regulator) itself dying.

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:13 am 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

That would be the next step replace the motor. Didn't really have time to see how the switch went in my ef as I'd got rid of it shortly after I'd fixed the switch

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

@123esproc
Hmmm, could well be , from what I have read it does not seem straight forward so I'll give it a go anyway.

Purchased a new regulator with gizmo some time ago in case that might be the problem.

I use graphite powder (dry lube) to lubricate the running gear, is that correct?

Cheers

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

Ok yep graphite powders the way to go use any wet lubricant such as silicon spray you'll block up the rail with dust n other foreign material

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

@123esproc.

Thanks mate, Graphite powder it is. Cheers

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Damn , damn, damn.

Got another problem. Now the drivers side power switch for the window is playing up...window will go down but takes 15 attempts with the up and down button to get the drivers window to raise up.

Surely it cannot be the switch, the mongrel is brand new and its not the regulator / window motor as there is no sign of jerky movement, windows goes up and down with ease.

Buggered if I know what other issue could cause this problem...obviously electrical .

Any ideas anyone, could it be the BEM or some computer hiccup?

Cheers, Peter

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

I took my switches out and then apart completely there was corrosion on the lil copper pieces inside the switches, after a good clean were good. Not only were they dirty n corroded but mis alligned aswell . Maybe when the switches were stored or transported sat in the cold somewhere therefore eroding at the copper? My switches would work good going down but going up was the same thing, press it 137 times before finally getting it up haha. Are all contacts / pins in the plug blocks clean?

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

@123esproc,

Thanks for your message. Yep. I double checked the switch and contacts, all are very clean, no sign of corrosion or oxidisation that I can see.

I had the previous switch also pulled apart and soaked in a chemical solution to clean the copper terminals, clean them up, reassembled....worked a treat for awhile and then started to play up with the passengers side window.

It's like there is a gremlin in there.

The block where the switch sits in looks clean but hard to tell and very difficult to get at if they did need cleaning.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

Hmmmm I used ear buds (the ones on a stick haha) to clean the hard to reach places now on the lil copper bits they have lil dimples at each end of the copper slithers do these look worn? Hard to clean the other contacts as they are down within the block itself that's when I'd used the buds, just dipped in metho and dabbled n spun thenm buds up in there until clean mine were filthy I even used emory paper or superfine sandpaper.
Check all wire connections under switch the regulator plugs make sure all pins and plugs are clean but I'm still almost certain its your switches swap another one of your switches over and test it as all switches are the same

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the tip about cotton bud.

The dimples dont look worn, on the new one. I have placed dry lube on the surface where the two springed components slide onto the curved copper slider where the dimple is. I used the lube to aid in sliding and prevent premature wear and tear on those pins.

I dont have any more dual switches to play with. The front passenger door only has one switch. Driver's front has dual switch (controlling front pax and driver's window)

The wreckers I've been to dont seem to have any as everyone of them has been stripped, buttons and all.

I'll pull the thing out again and give the mongrel a good going over with metho and buds and see how it goes. Maybe 3rd time lucky.

Cheers

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Far out,

Still no joy with that blastered power window switch. Must be a lemon of a Ford i've got.

Maybe bit of water trickeled inside the switch when it rained. Cant see how that would make the switch faulty, Any moisture would have been evapourated some time ago.

Any other possibilities as to what the problem might be?

Cheers

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

Ok well seeing as your switch was clean (the new.switch) I'd be looking at electrical problem, I'd start by looking at the plug blocks in the doors both front left and right panel switch block paying particular attention to all the pins in the plug and checking there all secure and clean (not corroded). Maybe try plugging in n outv a few times to 'clean' the terminals. It's such a common problem with the ford windows. I'd also be checkin the plug from window mechanism such as pins and maybe where the wires actually go into the mechanism? Might help to take door panel off connect the power window switch and play with the wiring whilst operating the window being careful you don't jam your hands in there of course haha see how you go. You might be lucky enough to find the problem? As for lubricating the copper switches themselves, I wouldnt put anything in there such as graphite powder or silicon spray etc as these need to be clean, only on the rails of the windows and maybe on the rubbers that make contact with the window going up n down. Speaking of which I need to do mine hahaha

Let us know how you go good luck

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

Ok well seeing as your switch was clean (the new.switch) I'd be looking at electrical problem, I'd start by looking at the plug blocks in the doors both front left and right panel switch block paying particular attention to all the pins in the plug and checking there all secure and clean (not corroded). Maybe try plugging in n outv a few times to 'clean' the terminals. It's such a common problem with the ford windows. I'd also be checkin the plug from window mechanism such as pins and maybe where the wires actually go into the mechanism? Might help to take door panel off connect the power window switch and play with the wiring whilst operating the window being careful you don't jam your hands in there of course haha see how you go. You might be lucky enough to find the problem? As for lubricating the copper switches themselves, I wouldnt put anything in there such as graphite powder or silicon spray etc as these need to be clean, only on the rails of the windows and maybe on the rubbers that make contact with the window going up n down. Speaking of which I need to do mine hahaha

Let us know how you go good luck

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next