Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Push Button Start
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Hey guys.

I'm thinking of installing a push button starter in the BA. I've had a search, and too be honest, haven't found very much information regarding, especially for B Series.

What I want, is so I can start the car without using the cars, but also be able to start the car if I have the keys also.

I basically want a hidden ignition switch, that can be flicked to Off/Acc/Ign and when flicked to Ign, will enable the car to be started via the starter button. Then once engine is running, have so the starter button cannot be pushed again (so as to not crank starter motor). And then use the hidden ignition switch to turn the car off again.

What are the problems I would face with this kind of setup? And how hard would it be? Would I be better off having an auto electrician set it all up for me, and I just put the switches where I want them?

Would something like this work (it says you can remove each switch, so you can place it where ever you please).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/White-PUSH-S ... 5ae308ca43

Any insight will be much appreciated.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Post subject: Re: Push Button Start
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

you will always need to key as the key has the transponder for the security..
unless you get the security flashed out of the ecu....

maybe you could relocate the ignition switch...

i got to ask what your trying to achieve by wanting to do away with the key??

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:52 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef Ghia 1994

QLD, Australia

If your trying to make it harder to steal you could run the wire that goes to your ignition through a (hidden) kill switch (with a key). Not sure which wire that is on yours so look it up if that's what your trying to achieve??? It would be a cheap way to go,but maybe people have other ideas also..

(Reason for editing :Trying to make the post more understandable)

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
you will always need to key as the key has the transponder for the security..
unless you get the security flashed out of the ecu....

maybe you could relocate the ignition switch...

i got to ask what your trying to achieve by wanting to do away with the key??

What's the point of having a push button start, if you still need to turn the key to Ignition? It's just double handling lol

It's so if I lose my keys, I can still start the car as I'll know where the acc / ign switches are to kick her over.

So is it mainly Smartshield or whatever it's called that I'd have troubles with?
Is there a way so that when the acc and ign switches are flicked to On, that it bypasses the security?

I'm sorry for all these questions, but it just seems not many people have been able to install a push button start that does not require a key to be used because as I mentioned before, why bother with a push button if you still need to turn key to ign...

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:59 pm 

NSW, Australia

forgive my common sense, but wouldnt be easier to just turn the key, rather then do both???

but yes the security is going to be the issue, also if you get around the key security and have it on a switch, you would want it hidden so not just anyone can jump in and drive off...

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

If you loose your keys, how are you going to get into the car?

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

SWC wrote:
If you loose your keys, how are you going to get into the car?

just stick a green button on the drivers door saying "open"
come on cant you see this guy is full of common sense.... :roll: :roll:

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I always have a key that unlocks the car, but doesn't start the engine, zip tied to the inside of my grill for the exact reason that I have lost my keys once, and it was a royal pain getting my spares.

I can't forgive your common sense here Troy, as you missed what I was I said completely.
I did mention a few times that I also want the ability, to NOT use my key at all but then being able to use my key so if someone needs to drive the car they can start it (as they wouldn't know where the switches are). Is that easier for your common sense? If I wanted to use my key, I'd not be here asking how to do it without said key...

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:19 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

TheKrazeD wrote:
I always have a key that unlocks the car, but doesn't start the engine, zip tied to the inside of my grill for the exact reason that I have lost my keys once, and it was a royal pain getting my spares.

I can't forgive your common sense here Troy, as you missed what I was I said completely.
I did mention a few times that I also want the ability, to NOT use my key at all but then being able to use my key so if someone needs to drive the car they can start it (as they wouldn't know where the switches are). Is that easier for your common sense? If I wanted to use my key, I'd not be here asking how to do it without said key...

:shock: :?

So you want.

1) A hidden set of switches for you ignition instead of using the key.

2) To retain the standard ignition barrel setup for strangers with a key.

3) A) A starter button that functions as normal using both key and switches.

OR

B) For the starter button to only work with the switches and not the key. As the key in ignition
would start the car as per normal.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:27 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

TheKrazeD wrote:

Is it just me missing the point of the whole thing or is it everyone. I can understand wanting a kill switch but what your trying to achieve with the whole starting with seperate key (push button start) thing is anyones guess? As has already been said YOU WILL STILL NEED TO HAVE THE KEY IN IGNITION POSITION TO START YOUR CAR so seems pointless to me unless it's for a kill switch. Even if you do manage to bypass the security it will be an expensive waste of time...Get a decent alarm-immobilizer if your wanting extra security or carry a spare set of keys if your worried about losing them (or tie under car). With the money you will save scrapping what seems to be a pointless project you'll have enough for that alarm :arrow: :idea: Maybe even one with flames that shoot out the side haha that'll teach em :twisted:

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:25 am 

NSW, Australia

TheKrazeD wrote:

i guess you cant forgive common sense because you obviously have none..
you dont have alot of options, as i already mentioned you still need the key to deactivate the security and what about unlocking the steering column??...
so there is NO method to your madness, if you want to do all this because you keep loosing your key or just dont want to carry that "huge heavy key" around, just leave it in the ignition and run a hidden kill switch. :roll:

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ea falcon

NSW, Australia

hahaha...that was lulzy, i was waiting for someone to mention the steering lock :roll:

EA falcon(S-Pac) AU engine and injector's, EL BBM conversion,K&N pod,EL ECU,T5 5speed,EL Streering rack, EL Brake system, Extractor's 2 1/2in high flow cat, through 2 1/2in mandrel bent pipe with Lukey Performance muffler

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

EAfalconS wrote:
hahaha...that was lulzy, i was waiting for someone to mention the steering lock :roll:

That wasn't really the point as it was a useless idea from the start. None of us even knew what he wanted to achieve by this anyway lol so it was hard to tell whether eg: N1: He wanted to have a kill switch or similar (push button start) as an kill switch eg. push button while starting from key.N2:He wanted to be able to use his switch in conjuction with starter motor (hidden push button start) with key in ignition position or N3: He has that much ''common sense'' that he wanted to use it separately without using his keys at all. As we have already told him YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO START THE CAR WITHOUT THE KEY TO IGNITION POSITION (which means steering lock would be free).Im afraid sometimes you have to expect the worst :mrgreen: We all lost interest from the start i think as its hard enough to get around the security as is without adding a seperate ignition switch (push button switch) that runs in conjuction to the other all for an unknown cause.

Reason for editing: Making the post more understandable,changed stooopid to ''common sense''' to be on topic :)

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

i dont have enough time to keep reading :arrow:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]