Fordmods Logo

Putting an EL dash into an ED 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Putting an EL dash into an ED
Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1983 F350 truck

VIC, Australia

can anyone tell me wat i need to do to put a complete el/nl dash into an ed i have everything to do the conversion im going to run the full el/nl loom front to rearit all their i just need to no if i need to cut any of the dash support or anything or part of the dash aslo need help with the floor mount hand break in my ed cheers dillon please help

Post subject: Re: Putting an EL dash into an ED
Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

777ford123 wrote:
can anyone tell me wat i need to do to put a complete el/nl dash into an ed i have everything to do the conversion im going to run the full el/nl loom front to rearit all their i just need to no if i need to cut any of the dash support or anything or part of the dash aslo need help with the floor mount hand break in my ed cheers dillon please help

Matey, if you find BenJ online or you COULD send him a Message, he has DONE this conversion and it isn't for the faint hearted :D

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

777ford123 wrote:

Hi, and welcome to Fordmods.

Firstly, in your posts, please use correct grammar and punctuation. It can be hard to work out what you want, and worse case, we won't even read it.

As for your question, the EL dash will bolt in. The only brackets you need to fabricate are the lower A Pillar brackets. You will need to use the EF-EL pedal box if you choose to install the EF-EL steering column and matchin steering rack.

As for the handbrake, after I trial fitted the console and supporting parts, I placed the handbrake assembly on the floor in approx the right position, marked where the bolts should go on the floor and drilled the required holes. You will then need to work out where the handbrake cable passes through the floor and drill out a LARGE hole there as well. Finally, you will need to make or cut and shut the handbrake cable bracket/mount that the back of the front cable slips into.

Have a good look through my build threads, both the current Wagon thread, and my old EB Budget build thread. There are links in my sig, and further links on the front pages.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:40 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED Futura

VIC, Australia

More or less what BenJ said but you wont need to change the pedal box over, but I would use the EL steering column. Also you wont need the A pillar brackets, all the other bolts hold the dash down nicely.

It is a time consuming swap over though. Be prepared to run into problems.

"We will rise from chaos to elude this damnation, Hail horror, hail infernal world, better to reign in hell than serve in heaven"

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1983 F350 truck

VIC, Australia

thanks for all your help much ablidged cheers :D

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ford falcon ef futura

SA, Australia

EBFAN666- would i be able to use an ef steering column? is there nay difference in ef el column wise? since im wrecking en ef atm might jst do a dash conversion :)

cheers anthony

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:31 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: Ford Ed

SA, Australia

Im in middle of doing same thing atm, The steering column is different, The bolts hole's don't line up or anything, But have been told there is a way to work out that...

This came from another post
banarcus wrote:
Pull the collapsible steering column apart and then mount the EF upper half onto the ED lower half. Your steering wheel will now be off centre but this can be rectified by reposititioning the worm in your steering rack. Big job, but easier than swapping crossmembers. Mine was also a V8 so I was keen to keep all my V8 spec stuff in the car. I've got pictures of the completed conversion and I'm very pleased with it.

Adelaide E Series

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

You can pull most ford columns from at least the XD onwards apart, and mix/match pieces to suit. You can therefore use the EF/EL wheel and upper column with your ED lower column, and that should get you either into, or out of a lot of trouble.

EF and EL Wheels are the same, however there may be small variations in the switches

Nigel

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

Variation on an old theme. Im thinking of using the EB dash top half with the EL bottom half and console. I realise Im going to have to make a bit up at the top. I have a mate who is a demon fibreglasser and so will make a mould for him to make the finished part. In using the EL console, I will have to use the floor mounted hand brake. Ive already begun drilling out spot welds around the section under the console that has the mounts for the handbrake from the EL donor car, this will also allow me to use the EL front seats as they are far more comfortable than the EB buckets.
The biggest issue I can see with this conversion (other than splitting the bastard EL dash) is the airbox routing to the rear vents. Anyone done anything similar to this? How well do the blend lines meet up ie top and bottom sections.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Actually splitting the dash might be the easy bit!.

I gave up on the eb -> X Series thing - there is far too much that is too hard. It just doesnt quite fit, and the EB Dash holds the wiring the wrong way in all the wrong places.

That said, the EF one looks after it all well apparently. You should be able to use your EB series dash and climate etc in the EF dash and the air ducting works in the X Series quite easily.

Nigel

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Not quite sure where the x series relationship comes into it. Is that what you were doing? Im thinking of just doing the cut and shut with the bottom half, assuming it all fits, and plastic welding it up. As for the console, I cant remember for the life of me how the EB routes the air to the back, however the EL uses a fancy cover and seal over a rubber mat that sends the air south to the back seat passengers. Wondering whether they mate up at the dash ok.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

EB top and EL console air ducts don't meet up at all.

I found this out when I had the EL console in the Wagon with the EB Dash for a week.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Cheers for that.

Really badly need a set of 4 way fast glass centre console switches for an EF - EL in povo grey. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Dont suppose anyone has some pics of an EB dash in a million pieces, especially the lower trim parts, ie handbrake surround, fuse box surround and the bit next to the glove box. need to see what they do behind the dash. Too dark to pull the car apart, besides, the missus wont appreciate it too much lol.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Little bit of an update of what Ive been upto. The dash of the EL donor has been split into about 8 billion pieces. The bottom parts are pretty full on, unlike the EA - ED which is modular in construction. The interior of the EB is stripped out except the dash and the back of the rear seat. Have dummied up the EL centre console and base. Ive sectioned the EL lower part of the dash and dummied it into place. There is a pretty mega gap between the top of the lower half and the bottom of the upper (original) section. However this stays uniform all the way across, so I am going to shape up a piece of miranti or something similar to fill the gaps to make it look factory flash. The hardest bit is deciding what to do with the fascia/stereo surround. Im thinking that I'll weld in the EL stereo cradle as that is far stronger than the plastic rubbish the EB has. As for the cover, it may end up being a plastic welded cut and shut EB/EL hybrid then sanded primed and colour matched to the original colour. Somewhere on this will be the twisty switch for the Shift kit, possibly recessed a frag to make it look like something is meant to be there. May disguise it as a light dimmer or something haha.
Also being done in this job list is the mounting of the handbrake to the floor. For this, I have removed the pan from the EL that holds the seat mounts and handbrake bracketry. This is going to be welded into place in the EB tomorrow. I wont be unstitching the cross member from the EB, I'll trim up the EL pan to suit and weld it over the top. This way I wont get in s**t from the rozzers for unpicking welds as it will be on top. Potentially adding a bit more strength in there Im guessing.

Theres a fair old gap there.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next