Fordmods Logo

removing tint sugestions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: removing tint sugestions
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

ive been spraying wd40 on the standard tint and using a blade, i also tried using wax and grease remover to losen the glue but i cant seem to get the rear window tint off its stuck hard, i got the other tint off fine, any suggestions to get the pr;ck off

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Post subject: Re: removing tint sugestions
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thanks, it says on the site it takes hours to scrape the glue off, wax and grease remover rubs it straight off lol, steamer should do the job

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: F6 Typhoon

NSW, Australia

I removed the tine by peeling it off with my fingers i think from memory i carefully used a stanly knife to start a corner off. Then i used metho to get the glue off.

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

my side windows were easy it almost came off in one lot, but the bak window tint was damaged so it only comes off in little 1cm bits, and ive even broken 3 blades, mite try some metho this arvo, if that dont work ill just go with the steamer

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Hot air gun works well - do small sections at a time.
You may find the film peels leaving another layer at times - use a stanley knife blade in conjunction with the gun.
I've used windex with a blade to get the glue off - seems to work well.
Scrape between the demist lines, then scrape along the demist lines, don't scrape sideways, as the risk of damaging/lifting the lines is greater.
You will have a few shavings, but the lines will still heat, just keep the scraping to a minimum over them.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

well i worked for a tinting company best thing to use to get the tint off is a steamer and a scrapper blade then once you have the tint off use some glue remover (make sure you dont get it on your interior) and when you do your back window make sure you dont use the scrapper on he dimisters or you'll funk them up so get some fine steel wool and scrub the s**t out of them.and if you guys need any thing to clean your windows in side and out tint or no tint metho is the best with a glass cleaning rag.never leaves streaks.and dont worry the metho wont kill your tint unless its on steroids.
cheers daniel

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU3

NSW, Australia

Another option is to coat the window with window cleaner such as windex and a scraper such as a hard edge razor blade to take it off,ive done a pile of cars like this in detailing shops and my own cars and find it real easy,the window cleaner softens the glue.

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

window cleaner softens it but glue remover completely screws it i've tried everything (i work for a tint shop in melbourne) and this is my job and i havnt seen any thing take it off easier than glue remover.but you need the industrial one kills it

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

When I was taking the tint off my prelue I used eucalyptus oil (sp?) in a spray bottle and a good handful of razors. With the rear I chucked the demister on till they got hot and used an adjustable lighter with the flamecranked up full to heat the tint more. demisters don't get that hot tho really.
Guess you could do it on a heaps hot day. Park in the sun half the day.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Try using eucalyptus oil on the glue.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]