Fordmods Logo

Replacing EL Fairmont Ghia speakers 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Replacing EL Fairmont Ghia speakers
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:41 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, my EL Fairmont Ghia factory speakers are rooted, so I've gone out and bought some replacements in 6" and 6.5".

Just wondering how do I take off the door cards, to get to the factory speakers?

Same with the ones in the rear parcel shelf.

It also says 9 speaker stereo in the options list, I thought there where just in the front doors and rear parcel shelf, is there some in the rear doors too?

Thanks much.

Post subject: Re: Replacing EL Fairmont Ghia speakers
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:14 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Damoo wrote:
Hey guys, my EL Fairmont Ghia factory speakers are rooted, so I've gone out and bought some replacements in 6" and 6.5".

Just wondering how do I take off the door cards, to get to the factory speakers?

It also says 9 speaker stereo in the options list, I thought there where just in the front doors and rear parcel shelf, is there some in the rear doors too?

Thanks much.

Hey.
To take off the door cards, firstly remove the trianglular trim behind the door mirrors (1 philips screw) as that gets in the way when you lift the door card away from the door. Then, around the edge of the door card there should be 8 or so phillips screws to undo. In the door handle, remove the cap to reveal another screw. Remove the door handle. Pop 2 plugs in the arm rest to undo 2 more screws. Now, wind down the window and gently lift the door card off, but don't pull it away as you have to unclip some wires (Courtesy lamp in the corner and electric mirror controls). Now you have clear access to the speaker which can be removed with i think a 4 or 5mm socket.

For the parcel shelf, its pretty straight forward. Just go into the boot and undo 3 nuts on each. You will need one of those extended sockets or you can just push down on the speaker from the inside and undo them with some pliers.

As for the 9 speakers: 2 in the door, 2 in the dash, 2 in the parcel shelf, 2 small speakers in those speakers (basically a 2-way speaker) and 1 subwoofer

Hope this helps.

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:35 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

TheELghia wrote:
Damoo wrote:

Thanks much.

Hey.
To take off the door cards, firstly remove the trianglular trim behind the door mirrors (1 philips screw) as that gets in the way when you lift the door card away from the door. Then, around the edge of the door card there should be 8 or so phillips screws to undo. In the door handle, remove the cap to reveal another screw. Remove the door handle. Pop 2 plugs in the arm rest to undo 2 more screws. Now, wind down the window and gently lift the door card off, but don't pull it away as you have to unclip some wires (Courtesy lamp in the corner and electric mirror controls). Now you have clear access to the speaker which can be removed with i think a 4 or 5mm socket.

For the parcel shelf, its pretty straight forward. Just go into the boot and undo 3 nuts on each. You will need one of those extended sockets or you can just push down on the speaker from the inside and undo them with some pliers.

As for the 9 speakers: 2 in the door, 2 in the dash, 2 in the parcel shelf, 2 small speakers in those speakers (basically a 2-way speaker) and 1 subwoofer

Hope this helps.

Thanks much for that mate, the two in the dash, I didn't notice them, are they like ones in the XGs behind some vents in the dash?

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:44 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Damoo wrote:
Thanks much for that mate, the two in the dash, I didn't notice them, are they like ones in the XGs behind some vents in the dash?

Yes I would say so. They are under little vents near the bottom corners of the windscreen.

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:04 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

There is this orange thing going into the button on the door, I can't get the door card off without it on there.

How do I remove the door button so I can remove the door cards?

Thanks much.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:38 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

The door button just pulled out, but now we're having an issue with it not locking.

When you lock it, the button tries to go down, then stops and jumps back up, then the horn does 5 or so quick beeps.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

The rod or knob must be fouling on something. Try without the knob on the top.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:57 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

She's all fixed, helps if all the doors are closed when you try to lock it.....

Also I have another question here, when I went to replace the rear speakers, the wiring colour changed, it went from pink wire with a coloured trace to blue wire with coloured trace and it was the wire with the black trace was positive on the ones on the rear, where as front speakers the black traced wire was always negative?

They have black connectors with offset pins in the rear speakers, but there are also normal connectors with blue wires hanging up there cable tied, with nothing going to them.

Crappy photos but you can see them here:

Also with the speakers, there is a button to press which changes I think balance of the speakers, it has a little dot on either right, front right and left and last press is all 4, if I have it on all 4, the speakers aren't as loud, the back ones barely do anything, if I have it on the one on the right, they're all loud, if I have it on the front two, its a bit less loud but all 4 working still?

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

That s**t changes the position of the sound stage. Driver, fronts or whole car.

White plugs under shelf are normal audio loom connectors for speakers. go to the normal deck wiring loom. Black ones are part of the add-in loom to the amp.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Hey mate, I only just realised this myself, but that blank speaker plug goes straight to the head unit. Whereas the plug connected to your speakers link up to the factory amplifier. The blank would be there for the lower models that lack the premium sound system.

As for the dots or 'position control'; It basically balances the sound for passengers in the car. 1 dot on the top right would balance out the speakers to give the driver the best experience. This means making some speakers have higher volume than others so they all appear equal to the driver.
With 2 dots up top, same thing but for both front seat occupants.
All 4 dots showing, this makes all speakers perform equally.

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:42 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ah yes, awesome, thanks much guys.

I cut off the plugs and soldered the wires to the new speakers, we're all good in that regard.

Thanks much for all your help, its much appreciated.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]