Fordmods Logo

Retrofit aircon to EL 6cyl. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Retrofit aircon to EL 6cyl.
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:57 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL falcon

NSW, Australia

Can anyone provide me with any details regarding retrofitting factory airconditioning to an EL 6cyl?
Currently I have a EL Sapphire wagon which is past it's use by date, but has a fully functioning air cond and electric windows. I am looking at purchasing a pristine example of the same model that doesn't have air. Am I deluded in thinking this is a viable task to take on? Does it require the dash to come out ? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Retrofit aircon to EL 6cyl.
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xe falcon

New Zealand

Rowdy EL Wagon wrote:
Can anyone provide me with any details regarding retrofitting factory airconditioning to an EL 6cyl?
Currently I have a EL Sapphire wagon which is past it's use by date, but has a fully functioning air cond and electric windows. I am looking at purchasing a pristine example of the same model that doesn't have air. Am I deluded in thinking this is a viable task to take on? Does it require the dash to come out ? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

same system, numb nuts

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Rowdy EL Wagon wrote:

When you say it doesn't have A/C, do mean it didn't have it at all? That would be very unusual to say the least.

You should double check there is no A/C pump in the engine bay. More than likely it is just not working.

But as to your question, yes, it can be swapped over. You would need to pull the complete dash, swap over the heater box, and then swap over the relevant wiring looms in the engine bay and under the dash.

If the cars are both EL this will be simple relatively speaking, but if one is an EF and one and EL, then the wiring is not a direct match.

Oh, and if one is a fairmont it will have climate control and that is another kettle of fish all together.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

j rod wrote:
Rowdy EL Wagon wrote:

same system, numb nuts
Is that even what he asked?..
numb nuts. :roll:

BenJ wrote:
When you say it doesn't have A/C, do mean it didn't have it at all? That would be very unusual to say the least.

You should double check there is no A/C pump in the engine bay. More than likely it is just not working.

But as to your question, yes, it can be swapped over. You would need to pull the complete dash, swap over the heater box, and then swap over the relevant wiring looms in the engine bay and under the dash.

If the cars are both EL this will be simple relatively speaking, but if one is an EF and one and EL, then the wiring is not a direct match.

Oh, and if one is a fairmont it will have climate control and that is another kettle of fish all together.

Cheers
BenJ

Agreed, that is very odd. A/C was a standard fitment to the EF/L series throughout the range along with power steering. Does yours not even have the A/C & A/C Max buttons on the ventilation panel inside the car?

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL falcon

NSW, Australia

Thank you to all those who replied to the post. The vehicle I am proposing to buy is a completely standard car (EL GLI wagon)and presumed that aircon was at time of build, possibly still an optional extra. At this point I haven't actually physically inspected the vehicle as I am still in another state waiting to travel to inspect it next week. The advert (& pics) for the car doesn't mention (or show the dash)whether aircon. is fitted at all either (and at the time couldn't contact the seller) and wondered whether it was worth looking at it all if it wasn't fitted (who wants a car without aircon. with summer almost upon us all again anyway.) My current ride being the EL Sapphire which obviously has aircon as standard fitment, presented the possibility of a changeover, should it prove necessary. Being the same model & year, I had a clue or two about the wiring and general compatability but was more concerned with labour time and effort involved and may have just found another vehicle if it had been not been fitted.

Now I know the answers, which is why posted in the first place, cheers to those with the positive input.

By the way, I take pride in and fully enjoy making my nut numb on occasion, but it usually take a concerted and sometimes expensive effort to acheive the desired result. :-D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]